Talk:Mute (music)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Musical Instruments  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Musical Instruments, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of musical instruments on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Other Meanings[edit]

Deleted the 'other meanings' section. This is covered by the Mute disambiguation page.

Karl Naylor 16:13, 7 Mar 2004 (UTC)

Brass mutes[edit]

We need pictures! Any offers?--Light current 02:09, 27 May 2006 (UTC)

I'll try to remember to take one this weekend. - mako 07:04, 27 May 2006 (UTC)

Una corda[edit]

"On older pianos it was possible by use of the soft pedal to play only one, two or all three strings, making the distinction between una corda (one string) and due corde (two strings) meaningful, but this is no longer the case"

I sincerely doubt that concert quality instruments have abandoned the use of the Una Corda pedal. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs)

I think what is meant is that the pedal can no longer be used to play two strings (for the majority of the keyboard with string in threes), shifting only between one string and all three. I don't know if this is true or if it is available on modern pianos. Rigadoun (talk) 17:57, 3 August 2006 (UTC)


I second the motion to merge the two, but also recommend the section on this page be cleaned up a bit and separated into smaller sections making it easier to navigate —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talk) 23:45, 11 February 2007 (UTC).

Notation and Stopping the Horn[edit]

Perhaps a section can be added displaying the correct (or most used) notation for each instruments when using mutes. Also, should "stopping" the Horn be covered in this article?

Directions for muting[edit]

This section is beginning to look untidy, because we have discovered the a commonly used term for mute (in at least the world of the orchestra, etc.), that Italian word beginning with "s", and then realise we have to accommodate "with, without, not-mentioning-either", alongside each of: the abbreviation, the (grammatically correct) feminine noun, the (commonly used) masculine noun, then the singular and plural forms of masculine and feminine.

It needs someone to apply some clear economical thinking here and come up with something better.

The words to play with are:

"con" / "senza" / "___"

followed by

"sord." / "sordino" / "sordina" / "sordine" / "sordini"

My mute and I have played in orchestras and chamber music for many years, but shall say no more and throw this to someone else to try tidying. Good luck. P0mbal (talk) 23:09, 16 January 2009 (UTC)

What about the instances in French and German music which frequently read mit/ohne Dämpfer (or gedämpft) or avec/sans sourdine(s)? —  $PЯINGεrαgђ  05:44 19 January, 2009 (UTC)
It's the Italian, important because it's the common language of (classical, etc.) music, which is untidy. The French/German comment seems relatively neat. Addition of gedämpft might be good. Should there be a new section on the language stuff, or just neaten? P0mbal (talk) 11:05, 19 January 2009 (UTC)

Merger proposal[edit]

I suggest that Sordino be merged into this article. From what I understand it's talking about the same kind of object. --Eusebius (talk) 09:26, 5 April 2009 (UTC)

Much of the material from the Sordino article that is not already covered can be merged into the Mute article. I suggest that a abbreviated form of the Sordino article should remain specifically talking about it as a musical term. The Mute article should primarily be focused upon the physical objects. Ngaskill (talk) 07:31, 8 May 2009 (UTC)

Sounds sensible. --Eusebius (talk) 09:17, 8 May 2009 (UTC)
Aye, sensible... Question remains about what to do with the Sordino content relating to the sordun, a double-reed wind instrument with a folded bore. See Rackett for another instrument along similar lines. Right now, [[Sordun]] redirects to [[Sordino]], which seems kind of a sub-optimal way to arrange it all. __Just plain Bill (talk) 11:59, 8 May 2009 (UTC)
Yes, the material on the double-reed instrument needs to be put somewhere. Sordun seems like the logical place. So the redirect page can become an article, and Sordino can become a disambiguation page. That would make more sense in Wikipedia than 1911 Britannica's procedure of lumping everything together in one article. Bob Burkhardt (talk) 01:14, 28 June 2009 (UTC)
Sure it is sensible, as long as there is a reference to exactly what Sordina/o means exactly. For instance, if someone has an accordion with a sordina chamber and they switch it on, but do not hear much of a difference, they would look up the word, and find no answer. On my accordions, it would not make too much sense to think of the word "mute" when using the sordina chamber, as it is a very slight change in timbre. (talk) 19:14, 3 September 2009 (UTC)Nick D.
Yes This is sensible. I am a 5th grade piano player and I understand that sordino means, in Italian, means 'add mute pedal' (talk) 05:45, 24 March 2010 (UTC)

New sub-sections[edit]

I have created sub-sections for each different type of string and brass mutes. My model was the article Bowed string instrument extended technique. I think this change makes the article easier to navigate if you are looking for a specific mute. Also, whereas previously all the wiki-links for – let's say – plunger mutes linked to the brass section of the article, we can now link them to the new Plunger mute sub-section of the article instead. Any objections or comments? Squandermania (talk) 20:26, 8 August 2010 (UTC)

Looks good; seems nicely carved at the joints the way you're supposed to. __Just plain Bill (talk) 01:21, 9 August 2010 (UTC)

External links[edit]

Jpgordon, yesterday I added a link to - Mutes because it has images and more importantly, sound samples that I didn't find from anywhere else. It's not a commercial site but, which was the only one you left, is.

You didn't define the weakness of the links, so I assume the images and sound examples were weak. In that case it's justifiable to remove the link. Altough, as I'm the author of the site, I'd like to know what was wrong with the samples so I can record better ones. Thanks!

- Janne, (talk) 04:24, 15 September 2010 (UTC)

"Robinson" mute?[edit]

Andre Jolivet asks for a Robinson mute in one of his trumpet concertos. It gives a very soft, "distant" sound. Is this another mute or one of those describes in the article? -- megA (talk) 12:04, 25 October 2010 (UTC)

Google is better for answering questions like this: __ Just plain Bill (talk) 14:59, 25 October 2010 (UTC)
indeed - thanks. -- megA (talk) 18:30, 25 October 2010 (UTC)

What Do U Mean by Stem?[edit]

From article: "Miles Davis often played through a Harmon mute without the stem." Could you please explain what is meant by stem? The word "stem" occurs only that one time in the article. (PeacePeace (talk) 18:17, 20 May 2016 (UTC))

This is in the section on the Wah-wah mute, yes? You will see in the paragraph preceding that statement a reference to the mute being in two parts, the smaller part is described as " a cup on a tube that can be slid in or out, or removed completely, depending on the composer's direction or the player's preference". This is sometimes called the "stem". I can see that this could be made clearer. Thanks for calling attention to this defect.—Jerome Kohl (talk) 18:49, 20 May 2016 (UTC)