Talk:Royal Australian Regiment
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Royal Australian Regiment article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Royal Australian Regiment has been listed as one of the Warfare good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
5 RAR and 7 RAR
Does anyone have a source which states that 5/7 RAR has now been split into two battalions? The captions to recent Department of defence photos refer to 5 RAR (in Iraq) and 7 RAR (in Afghanistan) rather than 5/7 RAR, but I haven't seen any anouncement of when the battalions were seperated. --Nick Dowling 09:54, 15 January 2007 (UTC)
- Hi Nick, it was announced in November:
- ... the Darwin-based heavy mechanised battalion 5/7 RAR will split into two units; 5 RAR will remain there while 7 RAR will be formed as its mirror image in Adelaide, to be combat-ready by 2010. A new light infantry unit, 8/9 RAR, will then be formed in south-east Queensland.
- The location of 7 RAR in Adelaide is another attempt to address lifestyle and family issues for soldiers serving in the tropics, but the unit will still form part of the Darwin-based 1 Brigade.
- Both mechanised battalions will operate the upgraded M113 armoured personnel carrier, using the Adelaide-Darwin rail link to bring them together for training and operations."
A GOOD ARTICLE
I enjoyed reading this but there are some questions
- Is the 7th Bn now upto strength ?
- Same question 8/9th
- The unit insignia in the info box could it be shown which Battalion has what insignia Jim Sweeney (talk) 08:05, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
- I believe that 7 RAR is still forming and that 8/9 RAR only has a single rifle company, but that might now be outdated. Nick Dowling (talk) 08:28, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
2/4 RAR. Sevice in Cambodia 1993.
This page doesn't seem to have any reference to 2/4 RAR involment in the elections of Cambodia UNTAC in 1993. It may be an insignificant involvement, but I did lose a friend to War Related PTSD. Any RAR buffs out there may be able to update this excellent sight —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 05:34, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- I've added a small paragraph on this. Apologies if I got anything wrong. Regards, AustralianRupert (talk) 11:29, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
Thanks AustralianRupert. Nice remarks. Cheers. Horse the Chook. 02 AUG 11.
Pipes and Drums
- I believe so, Jim. I'm fairly sure that 5/7 RAR's Pipes and Drums used to, and think that 2 and 3 might still do so (not sure though). 5 and 7 might now also. Not sure about 6 (I have a few mates there, so I'll ask though). A couple of links:   (there is an image on this one). I haven't found a paper reference for this yet, though. Can anyone else confirm or deny any of this, because I could be wrong? Regards, AustralianRupert (talk) 01:16, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Royal Australian Regiment. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.theaustralian.com.au/b-expansion-will-bring-strength/story-e6frgdox-1111112543215
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
Archived sources still need to be checked