The logo was designed by Roger Dean
|Developer(s)||Tetris Online, Inc.|
|Publisher(s)||Microsoft Game Studios|
|Release||October 3, 2007|
The game gets its name from the aquarium background and water-themed music. Tetris Splash was released on the Xbox Live Arcade on October 3, 2007.
The game is typical Tetris gameplay, with support for up to six players in online multiplayer, and up to four players in same-machine multiplayer. Multiplayer includes team play as well (i.e. 3 teams of 2, designated "Red", "Green" and "Blue" teams.) Gameplay follows the trend of rewarding T-Spins, but also adds a new element of combos, where multiple consecutive pieces each clear lines with no "non-line clearing" pieces in between.
There are several game modes available.
- Marathon: Similar to Classic Tetris game play. Goes up to level 15.
- 40 Lines: Clear 40 lines as fast as possible.
- Same machine: Up to four players. Last survivor wins.
- Online ranked: Six player free-for-all, playing for TrueSkill ranking.
- Online unranked: Allows customization, including Team Mode, in which teams play against each other, instead of free-for-all.
The game also includes an aquarium screensaver, which the user can personalize. Initially, the game comes with the option to make the tank a fresh water or salt water tank. Only two types of fish come with the main game: goldfish (for the fresh water tank) and clownfish (for the salt water tank).
On first day of release, nine downloadable fish bundles were offered, which included Marine Angelfish, Guppy, Triggerfish, Tetra, Tang, Discus, Butterflyfish, Arowana, and Angelfish to add to the tank. Four decor packs were also offered, which included a Scuba theme, a Pirate theme, a Graveyard theme, and an Atlantis theme to add objects to the tank.
- Gamerscore News (October 1, 2007). "Get Drenched this Wednesday as "Tetris Splash" Comes to Xbox LIVE Arcade!". Gamerscore Blog. Microsoft. Archived from the original on May 10, 2008.
- "Tetris Splash for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Ellie Gibson (October 9, 2007). "Tetris Splash". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Andrew Dagley (October 23, 2007). "Review: Tetris Splash". GamePro. IDG Entertainment. Archived from the original on December 25, 2007. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Ryan Davis (October 5, 2007). "Tetris Splash Review". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- David Craddock (October 4, 2007). "Tetris Splash Review". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- "Tetris Splash". Official Xbox Magazine. Future US. December 2007. p. 65.
- "Tetris Splash". Official Xbox Magazine UK. Future plc. December 25, 2007. p. 106.
- Luke van Leuveren (October 11, 2007). "XBLA Tetris Splash Review". PALGN. PAL Gaming Network. Archived from the original on October 11, 2007. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- David Chapman (October 10, 2007). "Tetris Splash Review (Xbox 360)". TeamXbox. IGN Entertainment. Archived from the original on October 24, 2007. Retrieved September 28, 2018.