|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+385 31|
Dalj (Hungarian: Dálya, Serbian Cyrillic: Даљ) is a village on the Danube in eastern Croatia, near the confluence of the Drava and Danube, on the border with Serbia. It is connected with the D519 highway and administratively located in the municipality of Erdut, Osijek-Baranja County.
During the Croatian War of Independence, the village became the site of the Dalj massacre—killing of 39 prisoners of war in August 1991. The prisoners were captured as Croatian policemen, Croatian National Guard troops and Civil defencemen and killed after the Yugoslav People's Army and Serbian paramilitaries captured Dalj on 1 August. Goran Hadžić, Croatian Serb political leader at the time, is charged with the war crime.
As of July 2013[update] Hadžić is on trial at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). The ICTY also charged Hadžić with illegal detention of hundreds of civilians in Dalj police station and a hangar near village's railway station. The detainees were beaten and otherwise physically abused.
By census 1991 in the town lived:
High School Dalj is public high school in Dalj. School offers students the following educational programs: Economist, Commercial Officer (in Serbian), Agricultural Technician and Agricultural Technician General.
Notable natives and residents
- Erdut Municipality
- Cultural and Scientific Center "Milutin Milanković"
- High School Dalj
- Church of St. Demetrius, Dalj
- "PETO IZVJEŠĆE REPUBLIKE HRVATSKE O PRIMJENI EUROPSKE POVELJE O REGIONALNIM ILI MANJINSKIM JEZICIMA, page 36" (PDF). Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Dalj". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- Branimir Felger (1 August 2011). "Ni nakon 20 godina od pokolja u Dalju nitko nije stao pred lice pravde" [Even after 20 years since the Dalj massacre, nobody was tried for the crime] (in Croatian). Nova TV (Croatia).
- "The Prosecutor of the Tribunal Against Goran Hadžić - Indictment". International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. 21 May 2004.
- "Svjedok na suđenju Hadžiću o mučenju u Dalju: Cigaretom sam palio tetovažu da mi ne odsjeku ruku" [Witness at Hadžić Trial on Torture in Dalj: I Had to Burn off a Tattoo with a Cigarette, Otherwise They Would Cut off my Hand]. Novi list (in Croatian). 16 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dalj.|