The Heart of Juliet Jones
|The Heart of Juliet Jones|
Stan Drake's The Heart of Juliet Jones
|Illustrator(s)||Stan Drake (1953-1989)|
Frank Bolle (1989-2000)
|Current status/schedule||Concluded; Daily & Sunday|
|Launch date||March 9, 1953|
|End date||January 1, 2000|
|Syndicate(s)||King Features Syndicate|
The Heart of Juliet Jones is an American comic strip series created by Elliott Caplin and drawn by Stan Drake, beginning on March 9, 1953. The strip was distributed by King Features Syndicate.
The strip was a soap opera, following the prototype set by Mary Worth but elevated by Drake's exceptional artwork. The strip's first storylines were based on a treatment by writer Margaret Mitchell.  The figure drawing was characterized by Drake's pioneering use of naturalistic movement and expression, a style he achieved partly through the use of Polaroid photographic reference.
Characters and story
Much of the dramatic tension was realized through the interaction of two dissimilar sisters. Brunette Juliet Jones, the older, was modest, sensible and successful. Buxom blonde Eve Jones was flirty, flighty, and in and out of trouble. Their elderly father Howard, a decent but dull man easily swayed by both of his daughters, also played a leading role. Initially, Eve was more villainous, and tried to steal Juliet's boyfriend (who was also her teacher). However, as the strip progressed, Eve became less selfish and established a good relationship with Juliet.
A full reprinting in book form of Drake's work on the strip was begun by Classic Comics Press in late 2008.
- The Heart of Juliet Jones vol. 1, Classic Comics Press, 2009 (Reprints dailies March 8, 1953 - August 13, 1955)
- The Heart of Juliet Jones vol. 2, Classic Comics Press, 2009 (Reprints dailies August 15, 1955 - November 30, 1957)
- The Heart of Juliet Jones vol. 3, Classic Comics Press, 2010 (Reprints dailies December 2, 1957 - January 23, 1960)
- Juliette Jones 1 : 1953-1954, Futuropolis (1984) French edition
- Juliette Jones 2 : 1954-1955, Futuropolis (1984) French edition
Drake received the National Cartoonists Society's Story Comic Strip Award in 1968, 1970 and 1972.
- Brian Walker, "The Times Are A'Changin'", in Dean Mullaney, Bruce Canwell and Brian Walker, King of the Comics : One Hundred Years of King Features Syndicate. San Diego : IDW Publishing, 2015. ISBN 9781631403736 (pp.239–40)
- Holtz, Allan (2012). American Newspaper Comics: An Encyclopedic Reference Guide. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press. p. 186. ISBN 9780472117567.
- Mary Worth at Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Archived from the original on October 24, 2015.
- "Stan Drake's The Heart of Juliet Jones". Classic Comics Press. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Strickler, Dave. Syndicated Comic Strips and Artists, 1924-1995: The Complete Index. Cambria, California: Comics Access, 1995. ISBN 0-9700077-0-1
- The Heart of Juliet Jones at Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015.
- Frank Bolle Studio
|This comic strip–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|