The Insider (newspaper)
|Type||Biweekly political newspaper|
|Owner(s)||Neri & Associates
NeriVerbanac Public Affairs (former)
|Editor-in-chief||Albert J. Neri
John Verbanac (former)
The Insider was a prominent subscription-based newsletter reporting on Pennsylvania politics.
It was once described as the "state’s most widely read newsletter devoted to state politics and government." With an audience of both the "hard-core state political junkie and the casual political observer," The Insider featured interviews with state politicians and political analysis for activities at the Pennsylvania State Capitol. It has been called a "biweekly guide to the capital's back room deals" and "a twice-monthly political capsule"  by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
The Insider was developed in 2002 by the late Al Neri, a veteran political commentator with over 20 years of political experience, and political operative John Verbanac, a protegee of Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum Within a short period of time, the Insider became the largest statewide political publication. Verbanac and Neri parted ways amicably in 2005 and The Insider was incorporated into the GovNetPA system. The editorial opinions expressed in The Insider were exclusively of Neri, unless the article carries a different by-line. Other individuals occasionally publish material in The Insider, including David Buffington, who is best known as the former editor of the Pennsylvania Report, a publication similar to The Insider.
A single annual subscriptions, with 26 total issues, cost $99. Multiple subscriptions could be purchased at reduced rates; up to 49 subscriptions cost $49.99 each, between 50-99 subscriptions cost $39.99, and more than 100 subscriptions cost $24.99 each. The publication was delivered biweekly via email. Some back issues of The Insider were available in "The Insider Archive" section of The Insider's web page. The subscription-based political website GovNetPA is the exclusive host of complete searchable archives of The Insider.
- "Principal". Envoi Communications. ENVOI Communications. 2007.
- "About The Insider". The Insider. Neri & Associates.
- Lord, Rich (2006-05-27). "Political consultant at center of dispute over picking casino". Pittsburgh Post Gazette (PG Publishing Co., Inc).
The Insider, a biweekly guide to the capital's back room deals.Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "center" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Notes from the (2010) campaign trail". Pittsburgh Post Gazette (PG Publishing Co., Inc). 2006-11-30.
- "The (2010) campaign trail". Pittsburgh Post Gazette (PG Publishing Co., Inc). 2006-11-14.
- Fitzpatrick, Dan (August 13, 2006). "Mayor O'Connor has business friends who wield clout". Pittsburgh Post Gazette (PG Publishing Co., Inc.).
- "Subscribe Today!". The Insider. Neri & Associates.
- Neri, Al (2006-05-27). "Editor's Message". The Insider.
- Harvith, John (July 9, 2007). "John Verbanac Appointed Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Trustee on Pitt’s Board of Trustees". Pitt Chronicle. University of Pittsburgh.
- "GovNetPA Acquires Capitolwire from AP; Pete DeCoursey and Al Neri to Join Staff" (Press release). GovNetPA, Inc. 2005-04-06.
- Neri, Al (January 2009). "INSIDER INFO -- JANUARY 2009". The Insider.
The views contained in The Insider are those exclusively of its editor, Al Neri, unless an article is specifically authored by another writer.
- "Editor's Message". The Insider. Neri & A.
- "Annual Subscription Savings Form". The Insider. Neri & Associates.
- "The Insider Archive". The Insider. Neri & Associates.
- "The Neri Report For GovNetPA.com & Insider Archives". GovNetPA.com - Legislative Tracking Service. Government News Network.