Trolleybuses in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire
Derbyshire trolleybus system
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire and|
Ripley, Derbyshire, England
|Open||7 January 1932|
|Close||25 April 1953|
|Operator(s)||Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company|
The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire trolleybus system once linked the city of Nottingham, in the county of Nottinghamshire, England, with Ripley, in the neighbouring county of Derbyshire. Opened on 7 January 1932 , it replaced the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire tramway, between the same termini.
By the standards of the various now-defunct trolleybus systems in the United Kingdom, the system was a small and short-lived one, with a total of three routes, and a maximum fleet of 32 trolleybuses. It was closed relatively early, on 25 April 1953 .
Three of the former Notts & Derby system trolleybuses are now preserved, one of them at Bournemouth Heritage Transport, Parkstone, Dorset, and the other two in a private collection in Boughton, Nottinghamshire.
The city of Nottingham was also served by the Nottingham trolleybus system, in operation between 1927 and 1966. A Derby trolley bus network also existed from 1932 to 1967, having also taken over from tramcars. It finished when extensive roadworks made alterations to the overhead wiring uneconomic.
- Joyce, J.; King, J. S.; and Newman, A. G. (1986). British Trolleybus Systems, pp. 112–115, 159. London: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0-7110-1647-X.
- Short, Peter. "Former UK systems". British Trolleybus Society. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- Zebedee, John (30 November 2010). "A List of Preserved Trolleybuses in the UK". British Trolleybus Society. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- Marsden, Barry (2005). Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Trolleybuses. Midhurst, West Sussex, UK: Middleton Press. ISBN 978-1-904474-63-0.
- Doig, Alan G; Craven, Maxwell (2003). The Prestige Series 21: Midland General Notts & Derby/Mansfield district. Glossop, Derbyshire, UK: Venture Publications. ISBN 978-1-898432-89-0.
- National Trolleybus Archive
- British Trolleybus Society, based in Reading
- National Trolleybus Association, based in London
|This article related to bus transport in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|