First look poster
|Directed by||Dhana Sekaran|
|Produced by||Mani Ratnam|
|Written by||Dhana Sekaran|
|Story by||Mani Ratnam|
|Starring||Vikram Prabhu |
|Music by||Sid Sriram|
|Edited by||Sangathamizhan E.|
Vaanam Kottattum (transl. Let it rain) is an upcoming Indian Tamil language film co-written and directed by Dhana Sekaran of Padaiveeran fame. The film stars Vikram Prabhu, Aishwarya Rajesh and Madonna Sebastian in the lead roles, with Sarathkumar and Raadhika Sarathkumar portraying supporting roles. The film is produced by Mani Ratnam for Madras Talkies, with the latter also credited for co-writing the film's script. The film is expected to have a theatrical release in January 2020.
- Vikram Prabhu
- Aishwarya Rajesh
- Madonna Sebastian
- Raadhika Sarathkumar
- Nandha Durairaj
- Shanthanu Bhagyaraj
- Amitash Pradhan
- Balaji Sakthivel
- Madhusudhan Rao
Mani Ratnam finalised plans to produce a film for Madras Talkies by his assistant director Dhana Sekaran in late 2018. The story of the film was conceived by Mani Ratnam during a recce during the pre-production stages of O Kadhal Kanmani (2015). He had written a story based on the lives of real characters from Theni, which his assistant Dhana had recollected from his years growing up in the hill town. Mani Ratnam chose to eventually prioritise other directorial ventures, but agreed to produce the script with Dhana as director, owing to his familiarity with the characters. Dhana initially considered naming the film either Two Brothers or Brother Sister, but Mani Ratnam suggested the title of Vaanam Kottattum, a title he had earlier considered for his O Kadhal Kanmani and Kaatru Veliyidai (2017).
The first crew member to be publicly announced was music composer Govind Vasantha, who accepted to work on the film following negotiations in early November 2018. G. V. Prakash Kumar was signed to play the lead role, while Aishwarya Rajesh joined the cast shortly after to play the sister of Prakash Kumar's character. Vikram Prabhu replaced Prakash Kumar in the lead role during March 2019, while Madonna Sebastian was subsequently cast opposite him. Actors Sarathkumar and Raadhika Sarathkumar were then drafted in to play the parents of Vikram Prabhu's character.
Prior to the start of the shoot, actors Nandha Durairaj, Shanthanu Bhagyaraj and Amitash Pradhan were also added to the cast. Director Balaji Sakthivel joined the film's cast in August 2019 to portray a supporting role, marking an extended foray into acting following his role in Asuran (2019). Preetha Jayaraman was signed as the film's cinematographer, while Eka Lakhani joined as the costume designer. Despite finishing work on two songs, Govind Vasantha opted out of the film owing to a production delay and was replaced by playback singer Sid Sriram, who made his debut as a music composer through the project.
The film began production on 19 July 2019 and was continued throughout August. Scenes and a montage song titled "Business" featuring Vikram Prabhu was filmed near Jerusalem College of Engineering, Chennai. Further scenes were filmed at home in Triplicane, with Mani Ratnam also often visiting the shoot.
During the first look poster release, the rest of the technicians working on the film was revealed, including K. Kathir as art director, debutant Sangathamizhan E. as film editor, Viji Sathish as choreographer, and "Stunner" Sam as stunt choreographer.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Studio||AM Studios, Chennai|
20dB Studios, Chennai
Krimson Avenue Studios, Chennai
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Singles from Vaanam Kottattum|
The music for the film will be composed by singer Sid Sriram, making his debut as a film composer. The lyrics of the film will be written by Siva Ananth, who has co-written the script with Mani Ratnam for Chekka Chivantha Vaanam. The first single track "Kannu Thangom" sung by Sid Sriram and Shakthisree Gopalan was released by A. R. Rahman on 15 November 2019. The second single track "Easy Come Easy Go" sung by Sid Sriram, Tapas Naresh, MadM, Sanjeev. T was released by actor Karthi on 20 November 2019.
|1.||"Kannu Thangom"||Siva Ananth||Sid Sriram, Shakthisree Gopalan||3:29|
|2.||"Easy Come Easy Go"||Siva Ananth||Sid Sriram, Sanjeev T, MADM, Tapass Naresh||3:50|
- "```கைதி' டீம் `விஜய் 64'-க்கு அப்படியே வந்ததுக்குக் காரணம் அவர்தான்!- ஒளிப்பதிவாளர் சத்யன் சூரியன்". www.vikatan.com/.
- "'96' sensation Govind Vasantha teaming up with Mani Ratnam". The Times of India. 8 November 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- "I wasn't prepared to meet Mani Ratnam at all: Govind Vasantha". The Indian Express. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "GV Prakash to act in Mani Ratnam produced film!". Sify. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Aishwarya Rajesh to star alongside GV Prakash in Mani Ratnam's next - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "vikram-prabhu-roped-mani-ratnam-s-next-productio". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Vikram Prabhu's film for Mani Ratnam to go on floors from July - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (20 July 2019). "Shanthanu Bhagyaraj and Amitash Pradhan, new additions in Mani Ratnam's film". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Balaji Sakthivel onboard for Mani Ratnam's 'Vaanam Kottattum'". Sify. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Balaji Sakthivel in Mani Ratnam's 'Vaanam Kottatum' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (24 August 2019). "Sid Sriram on turning composer with Mani Ratnam's 'Vaanam Kottatum' and much more". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (17 August 2019). "How team 'Vaanam Kottatum' shot on busy city roads when it rained heavily". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "Vaanam Kottatum: Mani Ratnam pays visit to Radikaa and Sarathkumar on sets". in.com. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (2 August 2019). "Mani Ratnam's surprise visit to film sets". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- "The first-look posters of Maniratnam's Vaanam Kottatum, here". Behindwoods. 13 November 2019. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "Sid Sriram records a song with Shaktishree Gopalan for Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum". Behindwoods. 16 October 2019. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- "Sid Sriram and Shakthisree's Kannu Thangam from Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum". Behindwoods. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Mani Ratnam's Vaanam Kottatum movie song Easy come Easy go in Sid Sriram music out now". Behindwoods. 20 November 2019. Retrieved 21 November 2019.
- "Maniratnam and Vikram Prabhu's Vaanam Kottatum title look released". Behindwoods. 11 November 2019. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- Soundararaj, Sivaranjani. "Vaanam Kottatum Second Single, Easy Come Easy Go Song is Out Now". News Bricks. Retrieved 21 November 2019.