2019 Virginia elections
|Elections in Virginia|
The 2019 Virginia elections took place on November 5, 2019. All 40 seats of the Senate of Virginia and 100 seats in the Virginia House of Delegates were up for re-election, as were many local offices.
As of June 30, 2018, incumbents in both parties were out-raising their challengers, and there was a brisk pace of fundraising among Northern Virginia incumbents.
A U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia panel had chosen a redistricting map that was expected to favor Democrats in some key districts, including those of Kirk Cox, House Speaker, and Chris Jones, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.
Following Democrat Jennifer Wexton's 2018 election to represent Virginia's 10th congressional district, a special election was held on January 8, 2019 to fill the 33rd Virginia Senate district seat she was vacating. Democrat Jennifer Boysko defeated Republican Joe May. The seat she vacated, 86th Virginia House of Delegates district, held a special election on February 19, 2019, which was won by Democrat Ibraheem Samirah.
According to official results, Democrats won 21 seats in the Senate, while Republicans won 19. This gives the Democrats the net gain of 2 seats they needed to take the chamber.
According to official results, Democrats won 55 seats, enough for a majority, while Republicans won 45 seats.
County Board of Supervisors
All 95 counties in Virginia in Virginia had at least one Board of Supervisor member up for election or reelection in 2019. Juli Briskman, who had been fired from her job for giving the finger to the motorcade of Donald Trump, was elected to the board of supervisors for Loudoun County, Virginia.
Soil and Water Directors
Ninety-four of the 95 counties in Virginia (Arlington County being the exception) elected Soil and Water Directors in 2019.
City School Board
County School Board
All 95 counties in Virginia elected school board members in 2019.
- Ivancic, James (August 8, 2018). "State delegates, senators already raising money for 2019". Fauquier Times.
- Court Picks Virginia Redistricting Plan That Helps Democrats Jan. 23, 2019 Denise Lavoie, Associated Press via usnews.com
- Kamp, Scott Calvert and Jon. "Election Results 2019: Democrats Take Control of Virginia Legislature". WSJ.
- "2019 January 8 Special".
- "Ibraheem Samirah". Ballotpedia.
- Times, The New York (November 7, 2019). "Virginia Election Results". The New York Times.
- "2019 General Elections: Board of Supervisors" (PDF). Virginia Department of Elections. May 24, 2019. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- Paul LeBlanc. "Cyclist who flipped off Trump motorcade wins local office in Virginia". CNN.
- "Election Schedule Soil and Water Directors 2019–2031" (PDF). Virginia Department of Elections. July 18, 2018. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "Town Council Elections: November Odd-Numbered Years" (PDF). Virginia Department of Elections. May 14, 2019. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 18, 2019. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "City School Board Elections: 2019–2023" (PDF). Virginia Department of Elections. July 18, 2018. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "County School Board Elections: 2019–2023" (PDF). Virginia Department of Elections. July 18, 2018. Retrieved August 6, 2019.