List of towns in Virginia
|Settlements in Virginia|
This is a complete list of towns in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. An incorporated town in Virginia is the equivalent of a city in most other states, i.e. a municipality which is part of a county. Incorporated cities in Virginia are independent jurisdictions and separate from any county. As of 2016[update], there are 190 incorporated towns, some of which are more populous than many independent cities, but are not incorporated as cities and are therefore situated within a parent county or counties.
New towns may be incorporated but must have a minimum population of 1,000 residents. Cities with populations of less than 50,000 are eligible to become towns through reversion. On July 1, 2013, Bedford became the 191st town in Virginia. The town of Columbia became the most recent town to revoke its charter and became an unincorporated part of Fluvanna County as of July 1, 2016, reducing the number of incorporated towns to 190. For a complete list of independent cities, see List of cities in Virginia. For major unincorporated population centers, see List of unincorporated communities in Virginia.
- The towns of Castlewood (Russell County), Clover (Halifax County), and Columbia (Fluvanna County) were disincorporated in 1997, 1998, and 2016 respectively.
- "List of Towns and their Parent Counties". Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development website. 19 April 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Commonwealth of Virginia. "§ 15.2-4100. City may change to town status.". Code of Virginia. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- Fluvanna County Town of Columbia to Dissolve, WVIR-TV, 29 June 2016
- City and Town Population Totals Datasets: 2010-2015: Virginia, United States Census Bureau, 2016-12-01. Accessed 2017-02-17.
- Single State Places Gazetteer File: Virginia, United States Census Bureau, 2016. Accessed 2017-02-17.