|City||Lookout Mountain, Tennessee|
|First air date||February 20, 1961|
|Power||50,000 watts day
2,500 watts night
|Affiliations||USA Radio Network|
WFLI (1070 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a talk format. Licensed to Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, United States, the station serves the Chattanooga area. Established in 1961, the station is currently owned by WFLI, Inc., and features programing from USA Radio Network.
WFLI signed on in February 1961 with 10,000 watts, competing with the other AM radio stations in the Chattanooga market such as WDXB and WOGA (later WMOC) for the young adult market. The station's power was boosted to 50,000 watts in 1967.
From 1961 to 1980, WFLI was a popular Top 40 station in the Chattanooga area. It was nicknamed "Jet Fli." The station also held two concerts each year called "WFLI Jet-Fli Spectaculars."These concerts attracted large crowds to Memorial Auditorium.
The WFLI Light in the Sky projected a spotlight in the sky, attracting listeners to businesses and events.
By 1979, FM was becoming popular, and the new WSKZ (KZ-106) captured most of WFLI's audience. After a two-year switch to a country music format, WFLI switched to the religious format in 1982, branding itself as "The Mid South's Most Powerful AM Gospel Station" with a Southern Gospel music format in its later years. WFLI signed off the air on March 31, 2017, but returned to the air under new management with a new format in May 2017.
- "Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-413. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "WFLI Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Winter 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- Jenkins perspective: 50,000 watts can’t be silenced; WFLI roars back
- "JET FLI 1070 AM radio | JET FLI 1070 AM radio Chattanooga, TN". wfli1070am.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WFLI
- Radio-Locator Information on WFLI
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WFLI
- "David Carroll's Chattanooga Radio and TV |". chattanoogaradiotv.com. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- FCC History Cards for WFLI