Wayne Township, Jay County, Indiana
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location in Jay County
|• Total||37.14 sq mi (96.2 km2)|
|• Land||37.14 sq mi (96.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||902 ft (275 m)|
|• Density||213.2/sq mi (82.3/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||0454033|
Wayne Township was organized in 1837.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 37.14 square miles (96.2 km2), all land. The streams of Butternut Creek, Elm Brook, Golf Brook, Hearne Run, Little Salamonie River, Millers Branch, Race Run and Saw Run run through this township.
Cities and towns
- Portland (the county seat)
- Bearcreek Township (north)
- Noble Township (east)
- Madison Township (southeast)
- Pike Township (south)
- Jefferson Township (southwest)
- Greene Township (west)
- Jackson Township (northwest)
The township contains five cemeteries: Green Park, Hearne, Jaque, Liber and Reed.
Airports and landing strips
- Steed Field
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Jay, Milton T. (1922). History of Jay County, Indiana: Including Its World War Record and Incorporating the Montgomery History, Volume 1. Historical Publishing Company. p. 104.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.