Webster Griffin Tarpley
September 1946 (age 75)
|Occupation||Author, activist, journalist|
|Political party||Tax Wall Street Party|
Webster Griffin Tarpley (born September 1946) is an American author, political activist, and conspiracy theorist. A one-time follower of Lyndon LaRouche, Tarpley is known for his role in the 9/11 truth movement, believing 9/11 was a "false flag" operation. He is a founder of the Tax Wall Street Party.
Tarpley was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in 1946. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Languages from Princeton University in 1966, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, he became a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Turin, Italy. Later, he earned a Master of Arts in humanities from Skidmore College and a Ph.D. in early modern history from the Catholic University of America.
In 1971, Tarpley was on the editorial board of The Campaigner, a National Caucus of Labor Committees' journal, according to its masthead. In 1986, Tarpley attempted to run on Lyndon LaRouche's U.S. Labor Party platform in the New York State Democratic Party primary for the U.S. Senate, but was ruled off the ballot in August that year because of a defect in his nominating petitions.
At one time, Tarpley was a contributing editor to the Executive Intelligence Review (EIR), a LaRouche movement publication. In a January 1987 press conference attended only by a reporter from The Washington Post, he claimed the LaRouche movement's credit card indictments were part of a plot against LaRouche who he described as "the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination" in the following year's election. Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, Tarpley claimed, had used a surreptitious message in a speech to demand the silencing of LaRouche because of supposed information in LaRouche's possession on Soviet involvement in the assassination of Olof Palme, the former Swedish prime minister. In 1992, Tarpley co-authored with Anton Chaitkin George Bush: The Unauthorized Biography, published by LaRouche's EIR magazine.
Since March 2006, Tarpley has hosted a weekly online talk show called World Crisis Radio, broadcast by GCNLive.com.
In addition to World Crisis Radio, Tarpley hosts the podcast, the AmericanSystem.tv. This subscription-based program airs Monday-Thursday at 9 p.m. EST. The podcast is co-hosted with Daniela Walls, the chairperson of the Tax Wall Street Party.
Tarpley maintains that the September 11 attacks were engineered by a rogue network of the military-industrial complex and intelligence agencies as a false-flag operation. The common account about the events of 9/11 are in Tarpley's opinion in 2006 an "outrageous myth" and an "absurd fairy tale." The organisations involved in 9/11 apparently included Britain's MI6 as well as "government officials loyal to the invisible government."
On November 21, 2011, while traveling to Syria, Tarpley told Syria's Addounia TV that the Syrian Civil War was a NATO–CIA ploy to destabilize Syria using mercenaries and death squads against the population and the Syrian government.
On April 2, 2012, C-SPAN aired 9/11, False Flags, and Black Ops: An Evening of Debate, in which Tarpley debated his critic Jonathan Kay on conspiracy theories, specifically the truth behind the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. David Frum, who served as moderator between the two men, described Tarpley's "presentation as involuted as it was long-winded." During the event, Tarpley said that the Attack on Pearl Harbor was also a government conspiracy.
On June 7, 2012, interviewed for the NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) regarding the 2011 Norway attacks, Tarpley said, "I believe that the evidence points to a private network, or even a NATO network, within the police that contributed the long time delay until they stormed the Island."
On January 21, 2015, Tarpley was interviewed by Guns and Butter's Bonnie Faulkner about "geopolitical terrorism and the destabilization of governments and how others like Russia and Belarus are responding".
Tarpley is a member of the "world anti-imperialist conference" Axis for Peace, of Scholars for 9/11 Truth and of a research Netzwerk of German 9/11 authors founded in September 2006. Tarpley has expounded the "Versailles Thesis" laying the blame for the great wars of the 20th century on intrigues by Britain to retain her dominance.
Critics of Tarpley have said that he still sells copies of the book on the Bush family he co-authored while working for Lyndon LaRouche. The book was criticized by David Neiwert, who wrote:
Like most Larouche texts, the Bush "biography" is a mélange of fact and distortion, written in a highly suppositional style that makes numerous leaps of logic and asserts connections where there is no real evidence to support it, at other times omitting exculpatory or contrary information that reveals a more complete picture. Sifting through it requires a great deal of work, but there are nuggets of fact woven into their text that are substantiated and which deserve proper consideration.
Melania Trump libel suit
In February 2017, he agreed to settle a libel suit brought by U.S. First Lady Melania Trump for publishing a "false and defamatory" report In August 2016 alleging that the First Lady had been a "high-end escort" prior to meeting President Donald Trump. Terms of the settlement included providing a public apology in writing and paying a "substantial sum".
- ”Palmerston’s London During the 1850s: A Tour of the Human, Multicultural Zoo”. Executive Intelligence Review, Vol. 21, No. 16, April 15, 1994. Full issue available.
- Chi ha ucciso Aldo Moro? (Who Killed Aldo Moro?) Study commissioned by the Italian Parliamentary Giuseppe Zamberletti (DC) and published in Rome, 1978. It sheds light on the affiliation between the Red Brigades and the neofascist P2 lodge and the role of the Italian intelligence services in the Operation Gladio/Anglo-American secret services.
- George Bush: The Unauthorized Biography. Co-authored with Anton Chaitkin). 1992. Reprinted 2004. ISBN 0-930852-92-3
- Against Oligarchy: Essays and Speeches, 1970-1996. 1996.
- Surviving the Cataclysm: Your Guide through the Worst Financial Crisis in Human History (1999); updated edition, 2009, 1-61577-600-1.
- 9/11 Synthetic Terror: Made in USA – Myth of the 21st Century. Foreword by Thierry Meyssan, 2005. ISBN 0-930852-31-1
- Fifth edition, November 2011. ISBN 1-61577-111-5
- Version française: La Terreur Fabriquée, Made in USA : 11 Septembre, le mythe du XXIe siècle. September 2006. ISBN 2-9525571-4-4
- In Italiano: La Fabbrica del Terrore. September 2007. ISBN 978-88-87307-56-6
- En Español: 11-S, El Falso Terrorismo. January 2008. ISBN 0-930852-98-2.
- Obama & The Postmodern Coup: Making of a Manchurian Candidate. April 2008. ISBN 0-930852-88-5
- Barack H. Obama: The Unauthorized Biography. August 2008. ISBN 0-930852-81-8
- Japanese edition: March 2009.
- Just Too Weird: Bishop Romney and the Mormon Takeover of America: Polygamy, Theocracy, and Subversion. October 2012. ISBN 1-61577-724-5. 278 pages.
- Hoyle, Ben (January 28, 2017). "First lady can sue over blogger's escort claims". The Times. Retrieved March 28, 2021.
[Tarpley is an] avid conspiracy theorist who writes for his own website(subscription required)
- Carlson, Peter (January 18, 1987). "Press Encounters of the Third Kind". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 28, 2021.
- Skelton, Charlie (September 12, 2011). "How the world changed after 9/11". The Guardian. London. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Aaronovitch, David (2011). Voodoo Histories: How Conspiracy Theory Has Shaped Modern History. Random House. p. 12. ISBN 978-1-4464-2429-2.
- "tarpley.net". tarpley.net. July 10, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- "Masthead". The Campaigner. 4 (1). National Caucus of Labor Committees. Winter 1971.
- Rangel, Jesus (August 9, 1986). "Another Assemblyman Ruled Off Primary Ballot". The New York Times. Retrieved March 28, 2021.
- "LaRouche Candidates Barred from New York Democratic Primary". Associated Press. August 8, 1986. Retrieved March 28, 2021.
- "World Crisis Radio on GCNLive". Gcnlive.com. Archived from the original on June 26, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Jacobson, Marc (March 27, 2006). "The Ground Zero Grassy Knoll". New York. New York City. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- 9/11 Synthetic Terror, Progressive Press, 5th edition, 2011, Military–industrial complex, passim.
- "Tarpley on Syrian Addounia TV". TARPLEY.net / Addounia TV. November 21, 2011. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- "9/11, False Flags, Black Ops Evening Debate _ Video". C-SPAN. April 2, 2012. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- Frum, David (April 3, 2012). "The Mad Mind: Among the Truthers (And Other Conspiracy Theorists)". The Daily Beast. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- "Konspirasjonsflom etter 22. juli – 22. juli 2011 – Terroren som rammet Norge" (in Norwegian). NRK. June 6, 2012. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- Seitz-Wald, Alex (June 19, 2013). "Here come the Edward Snowden truthers". Salon. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- The World Rebels Against Wall Street Rule, soundcloud.com. Retrieved on 16 December 2018.
- Ten Topics/Ten Shows Archived December 16, 2018, at the Wayback Machine, gunsandbutter.org. Retrieved on 16 December 2018.
- "The Versailles Thesis – Roots of WWI". Members.tripod.com. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- David Neiwert,  "Bush, the Nazis and America," Orcinus, Sunday, September 07, 2003
- "Melania Trump wins round in libel suit over blogger's 'escort' claims". Politico. politico.com. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- "Blogger forced to pay 'substantial sum' to Melania Trump in defamation lawsuit". Fox News. February 7, 2017. Retrieved February 7, 2017.
- Morse, Dan (February 7, 2017). "Melania Trump reaches settlement in libel lawsuit against Maryland blogger". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Official website
- ”Biographies of Some People Who Have Appeared on The LaRouche Connection: Webster Tarpley“. 2002. larouchepub.com.
- Genesis Communications Network: World Crisis Radio (Tarpley's radio show)
- Webster Tarpley Radio on YouTube
- Works by Webster Tarpley at Internet Archive.