Where Corn Don't Grow
|"Where Corn Don't Grow"|
|Single by Travis Tritt|
|from the album The Restless Kind|
|B-side||"She's Going Home with Me"|
|Released||November 25, 1996|
|Format||CD single, 7" single|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville 17451|
|Songwriter(s)||Roger Murrah, Mark Alan Springer|
|Producer(s)||Travis Tritt, Don Was|
|Travis Tritt singles chronology|
"Where Corn Don't Grow" is a song written by Roger Murrah and Mark Alan Springer. It was first recorded by Waylon Jennings on his 1990 album The Eagle, peaking at #67 on the country singles charts that year. Six years later, Travis Tritt covered it on his 1996 album The Restless Kind. Also released as a single, his rendition was a Top Ten country hit in 1997, peaking at #6 on the same chart.
The music video for Tritt's version was directed by Michael Merriman. The video features a young male who leaves his father's farm in search of a life in the big city. The young male eventually has his guitar and wallet, and everything but his father's gold watch stolen. He robs food from a store because he has no money, but he is caught and arrested. The young male is eventually revealed to be Tritt when he returns to his father's home with the gold watch.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||42|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||67|
"Where Corn Don't Grow" debuted at number 73 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of November 23, 1996.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||8|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||76|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||46|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 354.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9177." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. November 24, 1990. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Waylon Jennings – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Waylon Jennings.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 3151." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. March 17, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Travis Tritt – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Travis Tritt.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1997". RPM. December 15, 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Best of 1997: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1997. Retrieved July 17, 2013.