Who should come? You should. Really.
If you are interested in Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects, regardless of your level of experience or involvement, or if you are otherwise involved with free content you are invited and welcome. We welcome the OpenStreetMap gang that intends to meet up with us.
The Meetup will include some refreshments and snacks.
Not pictured: User:TonyTheTiger (host) forgot to shoot himself. He is front and center (with hands on hips) in the group shot to the right. Two other visitors requested that their individual photos not be posted.
What, Where, and When?
- Where - Lincoln Park, at the Abraham Lincoln: The Man
- Nearest Transit Station: Sedgwick (Brown Line, Purple Line)
- Nearest Bus line (from the loop): Bus# 151. Runs from Union Station (2 blocks from Ogilvie) up Michigan Ave up to Sheridan - get off at Stockton & LaSalle (right before the Lincoln Park Zoo, if you pass the Zoo, you've gone too far). This bus might be busy as it carries zoo traffic from the loop. After getting off the bus, you're about a block away, you should be able to see the statue from where the bus drops you off.
- When - Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I am not sure where the best location in the park is for a picnic. Please make a suggestion here.
Suggestion: Perhaps Humboldt Park?
I haven't been to the park in years, but would like to attend the Wiknik. I wish the Lincoln Park entry had a map so I could verify the parking (always useful for potlucks:)). How about the Chicago History Museum or the new (to me at least) CAS museum (Peggy Notebart)?Jweaver28 (talk) 11:44, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
- I am thinking near the Abraham Lincoln: The Man which is behind the Chicago History Museum would be a good location. Parking is difficult in that neighborhood though.--TonyTheTiger (T/C/BIO/WP:CHICAGO/WP:FOUR) 18:01, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
- There is really no where to have a summer picnic in Chicago where parking isn't going to be a bit tricky. I think the Abraham Lincoln statue is as good a location as you're going to find. Chimon (talk) 19:43, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
- Parking in the Lincoln Park neighborhood tends to be a little easier on Saturdays than during the week (surprisingly). Push-come-to-shove, there's a large parking garage on Lincoln Ave. south of Fullerton (across from Children's Hospital). The statue is about a mile walk from there.
- Anyone and Everyone can sign up on-wiki below:
- My fiance and I will be in attendance. Humicroav (talk) 16:17, 21 June 2013 (UTC)
- Me.--TonyTheTiger (T/C/BIO/WP:CHICAGO/WP:FOUR) 11:47, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- 99% sure I can be there. Keilana|Parlez ici 14:40, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- I should be able to come, possibly with a guest. Drummerdg (talk) 02:10, 28 May 2013 (UTC)
- 71% sure I can make it! Umbugbene (talk) 12:33, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
- Definitely coming this time, and I apologize for my previous absences! I, Jethrobot drop me a line (note: not a bot!) 17:31, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
- Back in the midwest and will be there, probably with Tara doodlepup--what a weekend rain forecast (and she hates wet fur!) Jweaver28 (talk) 11:46, 10 June 2013 (UTC)Jweaver28 (talk) 03:41, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- I'll probably be there. wiltzandrew (talk) 01:19, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
- I do wanna be there. I hope there will be food, and that I'm allowed to bring tunes.goten60629 (talk) 12:36, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- Leaving from NW suburbs shortly, hope to find everyone there today (Saturday) and that weather cooperates. Rick 15:34, 22 June 2013 (UTC) Later start, raining in NW suburbs, but map shows clearing - going there 16:27, 22 June 2013 (UTC) It was a nice day in Lincoln Park 22:55, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Hope to. --Orange Mike | Talk 00:07, 26 May 2013 (UTC)
- I will do my best to be there. Nick Number (talk) 14:54, 2 June 2013 (UTC)
- We shall see. Never been, so it will be fun to have a newb tag along! :P JguyTalkDone 18:59, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
- on my way. Metra only runs service from my area at 8:30 (too early) and 10:40 (a bit too late) o should be in the park around 12:15. Jguy TalkDone 15:50, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry all for not showing! I got into the city and I got called back home for a family emergency. Maybe next year! :) Jguy TalkDone 21:38, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
- Hopefully I can make it. PMChi (talk) 19:09, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
- Maybe, not sure. RedWordSmith (talk) 06:57, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
- will try! StuSutcliffe 17:42, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
- Hope to. Never been, and will be coming in from SW MI, but I am a native of Chicago. Donna
- I might be able to come, depending on how accommodating the family is. Pocket PC 2000 (talk) 02:13, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- I'd be there with my kids but I'm completing 20+ hours of IL CLE this weekend.
- I wish I could, but I have to work on June 22nd. Robman94 (talk) 17:25, 30 May 2013 (UTC)
- I'll be out of town that day. Sorry, I'll miss it. I hope there is a good turn out. -- DS1953 talk 15:56, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
- Out of ALL of the city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs, so far only 5 confirmed Wikis, possibly 11? Boooo. Also, the sentence "If you're an experienced Wikipedian, you can sign up on-wiki below", I almost took as, one could only attend the Wiknic if they were a well-weathered Wikipedian. I know that's not true and not intended that way, it's just the wording that caught me. Typical copy-editor, eh? Hope y'all have fun! InfinityBird (talk) 01:22, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
- "9 to 5 ain't gettin' me where I'm bound" ```Buster Seven Talk 02:40, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
- I wish I could, but I have a family event to attend at the same time. A Quest For Knowledge (talk) 18:31, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
- We know people in chicago we should visit. We're swamped, plus, we're not really good about travelling into the city unless it's overnight or some other time when the roads are just busy (as opposed to jammed). Sounds like fun--maybe next year. User:Number.6.freeman (talk) 23:51, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry, my daughter's dance recital is the same afternoon. -- Dave Braunschweig (talk) 02:20, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- This is crazily cool and I wish I could come. rock on.— Preceding unsigned comment added by Chell0wFTW (talk • contribs) 04:14, 19 June 2013
- I'm moving back to Chicago the week after! otherwise I'd be thereVictor Grigas (talk) 03:02, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- I would like to come, but my main ride is busy. Ferdas70.
- I wish I could make it, but I'm in China for the year :) -- Sirrdc (talk) 15:17, 20 June 2013 (UTC)