|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians. New participants are welcome; please feel free to join!|
Welcome to WikiProject Biophysics. Several Wikipedians, initially from the Biophysical Society, have formed this collaboration resource and group dedicated to improving Wikipedia's coverage of Biophysics and the organization of information and articles on this topic. This page and its subpages contain their suggestions and various resources; it is hoped that this project will help to focus the efforts of other Wikipedians interested in the topic. If you would like to help, please join the project, inquire on the talk page and see the to-do list below.
- 1 News
- 2 Goals
- 3 Open tasks
- 4 Participants
- 5 Articles
- 6 Article assessment and review
- 7 Categories
- 8 Templates
- 9 Resources
Progress in Open-License Images
In 2014 the WikiProject Biophysics persuaded David Goodsell and the RCSB Protein DataBank to assign a CC-BY-3.0 (now CC-BY-4.0) open license to his iconic shaded space-fill drawings of molecules in his monthly Molecule of the Month articles that appear regularly on the RCSB PDB web site (over 200 of them so far). An example is shown at right for the protein/RNA "cascade" complex of Type 1 CRISPR. There is now a category "Molecule of the Month" on Wikimedia Commons, which has the Goodsell drawings that have been uploaded so far (only 63 as of May 2017) -- please help us add more! Those images are of course fair game for use in relevant wikipedia articles. (The open license does not apply to his cell images, since they are how he makes his living.)
Note that previously these drawings were not open license, so ones that had been uploaded and deleted before this change may be rejected automatically if you try them again. We'd be very grateful to anyone with the status and knowledge to fix that automated rejection.
Ben Lillie, in the Atlantic Monthly, wrote about one of our WikiProject Biophysics Good Articles, which happens to be a biography of Frederic Richards, his grandfather:
- Lillie, Ben. "What Wikipedia Taught Me About My Grandfather". The Atlantic. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
Biophysics Wiki-edit Contest!
From 2012 to 2014, the Biophysical Society sponsored contests for the most improved biophysics-related articles, image collections, or other contributions to Wikipedia or Commons, or other relevant progress. The Biophysics wiki-edit contest page has more details, including the winners and what they did. Up to six winners received $100, a barnstar on their talk page, and free membership and registration to the following year's Biophysical Society meeting. All entrants got a neat button to wear. There is not a current contest.
- Improve articles related to biophysics topics
- Provide a place where editors interested in biophysics can work together and coordinate
- Improve the categorization of biophysics topics
Biophysics can be described as a branch of science that applies techniques from physics to the study of biology. This project will primarily cover articles about subject-area results and methods in biophysics, but also general overviews, history, organizations, and people.
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Biophysics:|
Please feel free to add yourself here, and to indicate any areas of particular interest.
- Dcrjsr (talk · contribs) (Interests: structural biology & structural bioinformatics, adding relevant images to Commons , and helping organize editing efforts in this area.) 17:21, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- jeremyblock (talk · contribs) (Interests: history of the fields, the impacts on broader society of biophysics, on structural biology, and on structural bioinformatics. I'm interested in helping to expand and cross-link the efforts to other parts of Wikipedia.) 20:44, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- subcellular (talk · contribs) (Interests: ion channels and G protein-coupled receptors) 21:35, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- Antony-22 (talk · contribs) (I work in the DNA nanotechnology/synthetic biology/systems biology world, and can also contribute more generally.) 19:17, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- Wbarendall (talk · contribs) (I am interested in working. I do that structure voodoo, like I do so well.) 21:04, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- RockMagnetist (talk · contribs) (I am interested in magnetoception.) 02:29, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- DavetheMage (talk · contribs) (Interests: crystallography of proteins and RNAs, molecular graphics.) 05:34, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- Rickludescher (talk · contribs) (Interests: protein structure and dynamics; luminescence techniques; solid state biomolecules; history of biophysics) 22:36, 26 February 2012 (UTC)
- Kreuzer5 (talk · contribs) (Interests: molecular mechanics)
- Shanata (talk · contribs) (Interests: ion channels/electrophysiology, structure-function studies, small molecule ligands) 19:54, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk · contribs) (General interest in linking biophysics to other areas; special interest in Magnetic Resonance Microscopy) 14:03, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Pablo.gainza (talk · contribs) (Interests: protein design methods, empirical energy functions, rotamer libraries.) 21:16, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- videau (talk · contribs) (Interests: protein structure/function) 15:00, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- Keilana (talk · contribs) (Interests: not sure yet, but I'm studying to be a biophysicist so I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually.) 05:23, 6 November 2012 (UTC)
- Mark viking (talk · contribs) (Interests: DNA and protein dynamics, evolution and genetics, complex systems approaches to molecular biology) 04:28, 16 December 2012 (UTC)
- jjheadd (talk · contribs) (Interests: macromolecular crystallography, structure refinement, methods development) 09:08, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- themadbiochemist (talk · contribs) (Interests: macromolecular crystallography, crystal growth, high-resolution crystallography) 09:21, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- GJKapral (talk · contribs) (Interests: RNA structure validation, esp. the three Rs: ribosomes, ribozymes, riboswitches; RNA-protein interactions) 20:42, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
- AGC (talk · contribs) (Interests: Protein Structure - Analysis, Description, Prediction and Design) 02:51, 1 February 2013 (UTC)
- Vinchenzo8 (talk · contribs) (Interests: macromolecular structure, visualization, validation) 15:23, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
- mis2066 (talk · contribs) (Interests: computational chemistry, quantum mechanics, molecular dynamics, ligand binding, ion channels and transporters, biophysical chemistry, x-ray crystallography) 02:00, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
- SharksandPain (talk · contribs) (Interest: general interest, sensory biophysics, ion channels, GPCR, NGF, electrophysiology) SharksandPain (talk) 06:15, 22 February 2013 (UTC)
- Qxukhgiels (talk · contribs) (Interests: computational chemistry, quantum mechanics, medicinal physics, molecular dynamics, ion channels and transporters, and biophysical chemistry, etc.)
- Homunculus7 (talk · contribs) (Interests: structure/function) 01:11, 21 September 2015 (UTC)
- showjumpersam (talk · contribs) (Interests: chemical biology, lipid phase behaviour and role in vivo) 06:56, 25 January 2016 (CET), Chemical biology
- dbsseven (talk · contribs) (Interests: Ion channels, secondary membrane transporters)
- Diffusive (talk · contribs) (Interests: Membranes, cell motility)
- RaptorChief (talk) 05:44, 1 February 2018 (UTC)
- Dank (talk · contribs) (Interests: mainly protein folding and design)
- DJW56 (talk · contribs) (Interests: Membranes, exocytosis) 16:38, 20 September 2018 (UTC)
Please feel free to list new Biophysics-related articles here (newer articles at the top, please). Any new articles that have an interesting or unusual fact in them, are at least over 1,500 characters of prose, don't have any dispute templates on them, and cite their sources, should be suggested for the Did you know? box on the Wikipedia Main Page.
- List of biophysically important macromolecular crystal structures - DYK Feb. 28, 2014
- Structure validation
- King-Wai Yau
- Karolin Luger
- Anti-thrombin aptamers
Article assessment and review
- This table is automatically updated by Oleg Alexandrov's WP 1.0 bot. See the log for the latest changes.
- General assessment guidelines are listed at assessment
- List requests for assessment at Wikipedia:WikiProject Biophysics/Assessment#Requests for assessment
- For general peer review, post here: Peer review
- For peer review of an article by a member of the biophysics WikiProject, post the article here:
- Lists of biophysics articles include...
Please post this on the talk pages of biophysics-related articles.
|WikiProject Biophysics||(Rated NA-class)|
Feel free to place this on your user page after joining the project.
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Computational Biology
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Neuroscience
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Organismal Biomechanics
- Wikipedia:WikiProject RNA
- Main tool page: toolserver.org