Wikipedia talk:Biographies of living persons/Help
|the Wikipedia Help Project||(Rated Project-class)|
- 1 Suggestions
- 2 If you are removing unsourced or poorly sourced facts
- 3 References
- 4 Abdul Haadhee Hussain
- 5 A notice on controversial BLPs in case subject drops by?
- 6 "sections that grossly unbalance the biography's point of view"
- 7 Libellous Case-Claudine Barretto's page
- 8 Simplfying the page
- 9 Redirect
- 10 Defamed By Wikipedia
- 11 About Amar Mitra
- 12 robert gibson better yet known as rock n roll express
The page looks good on first sight. Nevertheless, some suggestions that might (not sure) make it even better:
- I can't think of a better wording now, but the section title "Managing your biography", and the first sentence of that section, are likely to raise unrealistic expectations.
- First-time users of Wikipedia, especially involuntary ones, may have a very hard time communicating on talk pages. I guess that they need at least:
- Encouragement to create a user account, so they can be contacted on their talk page even if they have a dynamic IP address.
- An explanation of their watchlist to make them aware of it. (This will also make it more transparent to them why others may react very fast to their edits; without this information it can look like obsession with that particular page.)
- Some subjects may have a language barrier and will need special advice. I suppose OTRS will know if this happens so often that it's worth covering this case. --Hans Adler (talk) 22:29, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
- It might also help to give explicit instructions on how to get to the talk page, similar to the instructions for creating a new noticeboard section. --Boson (talk) 19:45, 6 March 2010 (UTC)
If you are removing unsourced or poorly sourced facts
I agree with Hans' suggestion that we need to consider subjects who are upset and first-time users.
For example, a subject may read an article about them that they disagree with. The subject goes to Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons and reads "If you are a user who is concerned about the accuracy or appropriateness of biographical material in a Wikipedia article about yourself, please see Dealing with articles about yourself, below." This anchor then links to the biographical articles help page which in turn leads to Commenting and editing on the Wikipedia pages yourself section.
Unfortunately, any subject who takes the route I have just described will (by jumping to an anchor) skip over the following key messages on the WP:BLP page:
- Unsourced or poorly sourced contentious material about living persons — whether the material is negative, positive, or just questionable — should be removed immediately and without waiting for discussion, from Wikipedia articles, talk pages, user pages, and project space.
- Remove any contentious material about living persons that is unsourced; that is a conjectural interpretation of a source (see Wikipedia:No original research); or that relies upon self-published sources (unless written by the subject of the BLP; see below) or sources that otherwise fail to meet standards specified in Wikipedia:Verifiability. The three-revert rule does not apply to such removals. Editors who find themselves in edit wars over potentially defamatory information about living persons should bring the matter to the Biograpies of Living Persons noticeboard for resolution by an administrator.
A first-time user of Wikipedia could therefore be left with the impression that they have to find a reliable verifiable source to prove a negative. I have therefore added these two messages to the help article. This note is to explain that – as the messages are merely copied verbatim from WP:BLP – I believe consensus has already been established for them. However, if any editor disagrees, please let me know so we can discuss. Thanks - Pointillist (talk) 00:16, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
- Jimmy Wales. "WikiEN-l Zero information is preferred to misleading or false information", May 16, 2006 and May 19, 2006
Abdul Haadhee Hussain
Abdul Haadhee Hussain is the son of Late Hussain Mosaa RH. (nevi hussainu) and Sanfa Adam . His father had 10 children by 2 different wives and Haadhee is the 10th in his family. His Dad passed away when he was 11 months. Haadhee was born in 15th April 1984. He is from [Raa Atoll Kinolhas.] —Preceding unsigned comment added by Eyna2013 (talk • contribs) 09:37, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
A notice on controversial BLPs in case subject drops by?
I have wasted too much time dealing with POV partisan warriors trying to make people in the news look bad on their wiki articles; this sort of thing is the most unpleasant element of editing wikipedia!
I am looking at different options (including supporting Wikipedia:Flagged protection and patrolled revisions for BLP only). However, since we can be sure that the subjects of these articles often drop on by, I assume it would be ok to create a section on the page to tell them what they can do to complain about truly POV, Coatrack, WP:Attack page BLPs and make sure it doesn't get archived. (Or someone could create a relevant box with links to WP:BLP and WP:BLP/help.) It would be one way of regulating the article, including by notifying pov warriors that the subject of the article can get help. Thoughts? Thanks. CarolMooreDC (talk) 16:41, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
"sections that grossly unbalance the biography's point of view"
I don't think this would really make sense to someone who wasn't familiar with Wikipedia's concept of "neutral point of view." Maybe change to "sections that result in a grossly biased article"?Prezbo (talk) 04:34, 25 November 2009 (UTC)
Libellous Case-Claudine Barretto's page
Please ban contributor w/ username "Claudinian" for he/she is contributing questionnable and biased information that will just add to the popularity of their idol. Please edit also Claudine Barretto's page because some of its part are redundant and insignificant. For example: "Claudine Margaret Castelo Barretto-Santiago (born July 20, 1979), popularly known as Claudine Barretto is an award winning and multi-nominated film and television actress and product endorser in the [[Philippines]She is the daughter of Miguel Alvier Barretto and Estrella Santiago Castelo. Siblings include Miguel Jr., Michelle, Joaquin, Geraldine, Gretchen and Marjorie." How can she be considered as multi-nominated if she has only few nominations. Contributor "Claudinian" just patterned their idol's biograpgy to Ms. Judy Ann Santos's page written as: "Judy Anne Lumagui Santos-Agoncillo (born May 11, 1978 in Manila, Philippines), popularly known as Judy Ann Santos or Juday/Judai, is an award-winning and multi-nominated film and television actress, product endorser, recording artist, and film producer in the Philippines. She is dubbed as the Philippines Young Superstar;" which is very evident to be multi-nominated actress due to her numerous nominations in different award giving bodies. Kindly do appropriate action, sanction is better for this kind of anomaly.184.108.40.206 (talk) 13:45, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- This page is for discussion of improving the help page itself. Please report BLP issues to the Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons/Noticeboard. -- œ™ 09:24, 19 October 2010 (UTC)
Simplfying the page
A few of us are thinking this page could be streamlined. This grew out of a discussion at Wikipedia talk:Biographies of living persons#Helping non-editors fix BLPs. Maurreen (talk) 22:33, 16 February 2010 (UTC)
- I strongly disagree with this redirect; the new target is little help to the disgruntled subject of an article, whereas the former page had useful explanations of how Wikipedia works, how to get help, and what to expect and not to expect. I propose that the page should be restored, and I have invited comment at WP:BLP/N. JohnCD (talk) 17:18, 15 January 2011 (UTC)
Defamed By Wikipedia
Since it appears that I will not be allowed freely to comment on Wikipedia itself regarding false and defamatory material which is being posted about me on Wikipedia, I have developed my own site where I can speak freely without being blocked and censored. It is at
I would sign with four tildes but my account is permanently banned for talking back to people who are telling lies about me, so I will have to just sign it normally.
About Amar Mitra
Amar Mitra Perrireddy and Amar Mitra are two different names. The disambiguation page referring to Amar Mitra Perrireddy and Amar Mitra(writer) is not required. Amar Mitra is linked to several other Wikipedia articles like List of Sahitya Akademi Award winners for Bengali and Bankim Puraskar. Also the title of the article Amar Mitra (writer) should be changed to Amar Mitra — Preceding unsigned comment added by Shamikbangla (talk • contribs) 19:30, 27 November 2012 (UTC)