Jung promoting Cook Up a Storm in Macau, 2017
June 22, 1989
Yeoksam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Jeong Yong-hwa|
Jung Yong-hwa (Hangul: 정용화; pronounced [tɕəːŋ joŋ hwa]; born June 22, 1989) is a South Korean musician, singer-songwriter, record producer and actor. He is the leader, lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist of the rock band CNBLUE. Jung made his television debut in You're Beautiful (2009), and has since starred in television dramas Heartstrings (2011), Marry Him If You Dare (2013) and The Three Musketeers (2014). In 2015, Jung made his solo debut with the album One Fine Day.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Discography
- 5 Concert and tour
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Jung Yong-hwa was born on June 22, 1989, in Seoul, South Korea. His family consists of his parents and a brother, who is four years older. He moved to Busan in 1991 and lived there through high school, where he first began composing music. After taking his college entrance, he moved back to Seoul, where he joined FNC Music. In 2009, Jung left for Japan to study music with his bandmates. While there, they did street performances and released independent albums. The group debuted in Japan with the mini album Now or Never on August 19, 2009 with an indie label AI Entertainment. They officially debuted in Korea in 2010 with the mini album Bluetory, and the title track "I'm a Loner" became an instant hit in Korea.
On January 14, 2011, Jung released his first solo digital single, "For First Time Lovers". The song was featured on the second season of We Got Married, where Yonghwa was in that show he wrote the song for. Upon its release, topped various South Korean music charts such as Bugs, Daum, Soribada and Naver Music. The song debuted at #12 on the Gaon Singles Chart, climbing up to the #1 spot in the following week and stayed there for two consecutive weeks.
In January 2015, Jung debuted as a solo artist with the album One Fine Day, which clinched the No. 1 spot on Billboard's World Albums chart. The album featured artists JJ Lin, Yang Dong-Geun, Verbal Jint, YB's Yoon Do-hyun and Peter Malick. One Fine Day received generally favorable reviews from music critics, who noted his growth as a singer-songwriter. Jung later embarked on his first series of solo concerts across Asia.
In June, 2017, FNC Entertainment revealed that Jung will make a solo comeback in July.
For his drama Heartstrings (2011), he composed and sang "Because I Miss You". The single peaked at #14 on the Gaon Chart, and later ranked #1 on Japanese ringtone charts. He also produced "Casting Love" for the soundtrack of Marry Him If You Dare (2013), which was sung by Jeon Gun-hwa.
Jung has also composed for other artists. He composed and produced "Fool" (also known as "Babo") as a gift for label-mate Juniel, which was featured on her debut album as well as "Love is Only You" for another FNC artist, girl group AOA. Jung released 17 compositions for the first half of the year in 2012.
As a gift for the CNBLUE School in Burkina Faso, Africa, Jung helped produce their "School Song". In 2013, Jung penned the song "Feel Good", the brand song of Samsung Galaxy, which was released officially on YouTube on August 23, 2013.
His songwriting skills are widely acknowledged by the public. On Weekly Idol, he is ranked #1 in the "Top 15 Multi-talented Idols" for his singing-songwriting ability, rapping ability, as well as his capability in the entertainment field apart from the music industry. He has also been ranked #3 in "Top 7 Next Psy World Star", and #3 in "Top 10 Idols Who Would Be Successful as a Producer".
Jung Yong-hwa had debuted before his group did, becoming the first member of CNBLUE to appear on the television screen. In 2009, he landed his first acting role in the SBS drama You're Beautiful, which aired from October 7 to November 26, 2009. As the series revolves around the life of a musical group, he played the role of the lead guitarist in the faux idol band A.N.Jell. The series gained a cult following, and became popular in Japan, which fostered the growth of his popularity.
In 2013, Jung starred in KBS's romantic comedy Marry Him If You Dare. The following year, he took the leading role in period action drama The Three Musketeers. However, both dramas suffered from low ratings.
After his successful acting debut, Jung joined his first variety show, MBC's Sunday Sunday Night program Korea Ecosystem Rescue Centre: Hunters, which featured seven celebrity MCs going out to capture wild boars. The show premiered on December 6, 2009 but was forced to prematurely cease its run in mid-January 2010 due to protests by animal-rights groups. He subsequently continued as one of the MCs on the replacement program Eco House, which deals with global climate change.
In February 2010, he was paired with Seohyun of Girls' Generation as part of a virtually wedded couple for MBC's We Got Married. Collectively known as "YongSeo" couple, they filmed their final episode of the show on March 15, 2011. At the end of the year, Jung won the "Popularity Award" at the MBC Entertainment Awards for his stint in We Got Married.
On June 28, 2016 it was reported that Yong-hwa is being under investigation for insider trading. He was reportedly being investigated for allegedly earning approximately $347,000 through buying stocks in FNC Entertainment after learning about their plans to sign a major celebrity. On June 30, Yong-hwa has been cleared of suspicion and proven innocent. On October 31, FNC Entertainment officially announced that they will take legal action against malicious rumors about the singer after being framed of insider trading.
|2017||Cook Up a Storm||Chef Ahn Paul||Debut Movie|
|2009||SBS||You're Beautiful||Kang Shin-woo|
|2012||SBS||A Gentleman's Dignity||Himself||Cameo (Episode 13)|
|2013||KBS2||Marry Him If You Dare||Park Se-joo|||
|2014||tvN||The Three Musketeers||Park Dal-hyang|
|2017||jTBC||The Package||San Ma-roo|
Variety and reality show
|2009-2010||MBC||Korea Ecosystem Rescue Centre: Hunters||Main cast|
|2010||Eco House||Main cast|
|2010-2011||We Got Married||Main cast||with Seohyun|
|SBS||Inkigayo||Host||with Sulli and Jo Kwon|
|Night After Night||Host||with Daesung, UEE etc.|
|2010-2015||Running Man||Guest, Ep. 7, 11, 17, 35-36, 72-73, 104, 127, 129, 186, 242||Nicknamed Super Guest or Idol Ace|
|2015||Mnet||Hologram||Himself||Solo debut reality show|
|2016||JTBC||Two Yoo Project Sugar Man||Producer for Sugar Song "The Name" sang by Park Boram||Ep. 26|
|KBS||Superman is Back||Special Samchon for Rohee||Ep. 126, 127|
|MBC||Infinite Challenge||Wedding Boys with Lee Joon, Yoon Doo Joon, Kwang Hee||Ep. 473, 480, 481|
|2017||KBS||Guesthouse Daughters||Guest||Ep. 4, 8|
|SBS||Paik Jong-won's Three Great Emperors||Guest||Ep.78|
|JTBC||Please Take Care of My Refrigerator||Guest||Ep. 124, 125|
|Let's Eat Dinner Together||Guest||Ep. 26|
|O'live / tvN||Island Trio||Cast member|
- One Fine Day (2015)
- Summer Calling (2017)
Concert and tour
- Jung Yonghwa 1st Concert - One Fine Day (2015)
Awards and nominations
|2009||SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||You're Beautiful||Won|||
|2010||MBC Entertainment Awards||Popularity Award||Won|||
|SBS Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer in a Variety Show||Inkigayo||Won|||
|3rd Korea Drama Awards||Popularity Award||You're Beautiful||Won|||
|2011||3rd Melon Music Awards||Music Style Best OST Song||"You've Fallen For Me" (Heartstrings)||Nominated|||
|MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Heartstrings||Nominated|
|2012||48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|1st K-Drama Star Awards||Hallyu Star Award||Won|
|2013||KBS Drama Awards||Best Couple Award with Han Chae-ah||Marry Him If You Dare||Nominated|||
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|2015||Hong Kong Weibo Star Awards||Hottest Korean Artist Award||N/A||Won|||
|Most Influential Korean Star||N/A||Won|
|Top Chinese Music Awards||Solo Artist Award||N/A||Won|
|Melon Music Awards||Music Style Best Folk Song||"Star, You"||Nominated|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Male Solo||One Fine Day||Nominated|
|Artist of The Year||N/A||Nominated|
|ELLE China Style Awards||Voice of ELLE International Singer of The Year||N/A||Won|
|2016||Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang||One Fine Day||Nominated|
|Golden Disk Awards||Best Solo Vocal Award||"One Fine Day"||Won|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 56. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "정용화│My name is..." (in Korean). 10asia.co.ko. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 8, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- Han Hyun-jung (January 14, 2011). 정용화 '반말송' 현빈-아이유 누르고 1위 돌풍. Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- South Korea's Gaon Singles Chart from January 9–15, 2011 (in Korean) Originally from Gaon Music Chart (January 2011). Archived on March 16, 2015. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- South Korea's Gaon Singles Chart from January 23–29, 2011 (in Korean) Originally from Gaon Music Chart (January 2011). Archived on March 16, 2015. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Lee, Hye-rin (December 23, 2014). 정용화, 팬 고백송 '별, 그대' 오늘 발표..수익금 기부. Osen (in Korean). Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- Jeff Benjamin (2015-01-29). "CNBLUE's Jung Yong Hwa Debuts at No. 1 on World Albums With 'One Fine Day' Solo Debut". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "CNBLUE's Yonghwa reveals track list for first solo album 'One Fine Day'". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Jung Yong Hwa's Musical Abilities Praised By YDG, Verbal Jint, Yoon Do Hyun". Soompi.com. 2015-01-12. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "CNBLUE's Yonghwa sells out solo Asia tour 'One Fine Day' in 5 minutes". Allkpop.com. 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "[단독] 정용화, 7월 1년반 만에 솔로 컴백.."씨엔블루와 차별화"" (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "allkpop - Breaking K-pop news, videos, photos and celebrity gossip". allkpop. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Music CN Blue's Jung Yong Hwa Serves as Producer for Rookie Artist Juniel's Debut Album". E News World. May 15, 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "CNBLUE Jung Yong Hwa's Song Produced for a Girl Group AOA is Released". Kpopstarz. July 28, 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- 씨엔블루 정용화, 올 상반기 자작곡만 17곡 '실력 인증'. My Daily (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 12, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "CNBlue Pens Samsung Galaxy's Brand Song "Feel Good," Releases Lighthearted MV". Soompi.com. 2013-08-23. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "111103 [Video] MNET's Weekly Idol ranks the top 15 multi talented idols". YongSeo International. 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "130320 - Top 7 Next Psy World Star - hibernating". Weeklyidolrankings.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 11, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "스포츠월드". ‘미남이시네요’ A.N.JELL 포스터 공개 - 스포츠월드. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "‘미남이시네요’가 ‘아이리스’에 기죽지 않는 이유 - 일간스포츠". Isplus.live.joins.com. 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Jang Geun-seok "You're Beautiful" beats "Winter Sonata" @ HanCinema :: The Korean Movie and Drama Database". Hancinema.net. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Cite error: The named reference
Newsenwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Lee, Mi-yeong (December 1, 2009). 정용화, 해외 러브콜 봇물…"내년 한국 데뷔가 먼저". Joynews24 (in Korean). inews24. Retrieved October 4, 2016.
- "'넌 내게 반했어' 정용화, 밀크남→까칠남 180도 변신 :: THE STAR". thestar.chosun.com. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "[단독]정용화, KBS '미래의 선택'으로 2년 만에 컴백…"긍정검토 중"". Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "이진욱-양동근-정용화, '삼총사' 윤곽 드러났다". Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- Park, Gyu-oh (9 December 2014). "Three Musketeers 2nd season postponed". K-Pop Herald. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
- "[단독] 정용화, 460억원 대작으로 中 진출…사정봉과 호흡". Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "'더 패키지' 정용화-이연희-최우식 출연 확정...여행 떠난다 (공식) : 스포츠조선". sports.chosun.com. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "Irresponsible MBC to Televise Hunting Program". Korea Animal Rights Advocates. November 27, 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- 13, my yonghwa baby October; 2010 (October 13, 2010). "YongHwa-Uee-Daesung: Idol MC Line". soompi.com. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "정용화-서현, '우결' 새커플 - 스타뉴스". star.mt.co.kr. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- 서울경제신문 (2016-06-28). "FNC 측 "정용화 검찰 출석, 수사 종결되는대로 입장 밝힐 것"". 서울경제. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- JiwonYu (2016-06-28). "CNBLUE's Jung Yong Hwa Under Investigation For Insider Trading". Soompi. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "정용화 FNC엔터 주식 부당거래 혐의 없음 처분". Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "[TV특종] FNC, "정용화 악플러 선처없이 법적대응할 것"". Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "[News] Jung Yonghwa's 180 Degrees Transformation in "Heartstrings" ~ Daily K Pop News". Dkpopnews.net. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Sunwoo, Carla (July 5, 2012). "Jung Yong-hwa to make cameo appearance in A Gentleman's Dignity". Joongang Daily. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- "Yoon Eun Hye, Lee Dong Gun, and CNBLUE's Yonghwa confirmed for new KBS drama 'The Future Choice". August 26, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- Stanley, Adrienne (January 22, 2015). "Jung Yong Hwa To Embark On His First Solo Tour Through Asia". KpopStarz. CJ E&M. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 23, 2012. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "Yoo Jae Suk wins Daesang, Adam and Khuntoria couples also win at the MBC Entertainment Awards + other winners". Allkpop.com. 2010-12-29. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Kang Ho Dong wins Daesang at the 2010 SBS Entertainment Awards + other winners". Allkpop.com. 2010-12-30. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 24, 2012. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- "Winners from the 2013 KBS Drama Awards". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "CNBLUE Vocalist Jung Yong Hwa Takes Home 2 Awards For Solo Album 'One Fine Day' At 2015 Weibo Star Awards In Hong Kong : News". KpopStarz.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jung Yong-Hwa.|