Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lee Hong-gi in 2019.
|Also known as||Lee Hong-ki|
|Born||2 March 1990|
Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
|Associated acts||F.T. Island|
|Revised Romanization||I Hong-gi|
Lee Hong-gi (Korean: 이홍기; Hanja: 李弘基; pronounced [iː hoŋɡiː ]; Japanese: イ•ホンギ), also known mononymously as Hongki, is a South Korean singer-songwriter and actor. He is best known as the lead singer of the South Korean rock band F.T. Island. In 2015, Lee debuted as a solo artist with the releases of his first Korean extended play FM302 and his first Japanese album, AM302. In 2018, his second extended play Do n Do was released.
- 1 Acting career
- 2 Music career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Radio show
- 7 Musical theatre
- 8 Bibliography
- 9 Awards and nominations
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Before Lee Hong-ki debuted as a singer with the band F.T. Island, he was a child actor, making his acting debut in 2002 in the KBS2 TV series Magic Kid Masuri as Masuri's friend. This sitcom gained popularity among elementary school students. He was also featured in Kkangsooni, where he played the character of Eo Soo-bong, and sang for the sitcom's OST.
In 2008, he was offered the lead role in Master of Study, the Korean adaptation of Japanese drama Dragon Zakura. Master of Study should have aired in the beginning of 2009 but due to preproduction difficulties, the drama was postponed to the beginning of 2010 which led FNC Entertainment to refuse Lee's role because of his busy schedule with the band.
Lee then played Lysander in a Korean musical theatre version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, where he showcased his singing, acting and dancing skills. In 2009, after a five-year break, he made his acting comeback and took the role of the quirky but loveable drummer Jeremy in You're Beautiful. To promote the drama, he also contributed solo tracks to the OST, such as "Promise" and "Still/As Ever." He received a New Star Award at the 2009 SBS Drama Awards for his performance. You're Beautiful recorded modest ratings in South Korea, but it became an international success and with it, Lee's worldwide popularity increased.
In April 2011, Lee starred in the TBS Japanese drama Muscle Girl! opposite Yui Ichikawa. This was followed by a 90-minute Korean-Japanese co-production titled Noriko Goes to Seoul, in which he played a young aspiring singer who meets an older woman (Takashima Reiko) who inspires him through hardships to achieve his dream.
In June 2013, he made his big screen debut in the movie Rockin' on Heaven's Door (Korean title: Passionate Goodbye), with Baek Jin-hee, in which Lee portrayed as a rebellious music star who is sent to work in a hospice.
Lee began filming Bride of the Century with Yang Jin-sung. He went on a four-week rest after he dislocated his shoulder and suffered facial fractures during December 2013. He resumed shooting in January 2014, and the drama aired that February.
Lee decided to pursue a career in singing after he starred in Kkangsooni, for which he sang a song for the soundtrack. At the end of the drama, he performed the song live on stage. He was 13 years old at that time. Impressed by his powerful vocal ability, a few people approached him, not wishing to waste his talent for singing. Then-fledgling label company FNC Entertainment Music signed Lee and fully trained him to become the lead singer of F.T. Island.
In 2015, Lee announced through social media that he was working on both a Korean and Japanese album, which was released in November and December respectively. The mini Korean album was revealed to be FM302, and the album was released on 18 November 2015, while the Japanese album was revealed to be AM302, and it was released on 9 December 2015. 'FM302' combines the radio terminology frequency modulation (FM) with Lee's birthday which is on 2 March, to create the effect of his own radio frequency that resonates his music across the world. The title song "Insensible" is a ballad track and it tells the sad story of a man who is unable to forget his previous love. The music video was published on 18 November 2015. The lead actress of the music video is actress Park Shin-hye. Prior to his official music video release, a showcase was organised. Upon the release of FM302, it topped both Naver's real-time search chart, as well as Hanteo sales chart. The album still retained its position next week, selling more than 19,000 albums within two weeks. Moreover, six days after the release of the album, Lee won first place on SBS MTV's The Show for the first time. The album charted at No. 2 on Gaon Chart's national physical albums ranking, as well as No. 5 on the Gaon Social Chart in the 3rd week of November.
On the other hand, the music video for the lead single of the Japanese album AM302, "モノローグ (Monologue)", was published on 11 November 2015 on F.T. Island's Official Japanese YouTube channel. The Japanese album contained some tracks from the Korean album FM302, but was translated into Japanese. The album is also available in three different sets, namely, the original version, Primadonna version (for fans), and the limited edition DVD version. Upon release, it charted at #4 in the Oricon charts.
On 21 May 2015, Dal Shabet's official YouTube channel uploaded a video titled Joker in Rock Version. The video was a collaboration with Lee and Subin singing Joker in rock version. It was believed that the two decided on a collaboration when Lee and Subin met on Hello Counselor.
Compositions and lyric-writing
In recent years, Lee has also begun composing music, contributing the songs "Black Chocolate" and "Orange Sky" to F.T. Island's Japanese album Rated FT, as well as the title track "Memory" and the song "Always With You" on F.T. Island's Korean mini-album Thanks To, "Siren" from their album The Mood and title song "Wind" from their album Over 10 Years . He also composed Japanese songs "On My Way", "Just Please" and "Born to be a Rock n Roller".
Lee started his own fashion brand 'Skullhong' in June 2014. He designs accessories, jewelry and various nail products. It was originally based in Seoul, but has since expanded its business to Hong Kong, and Tokyo, Japan.
On 30 September 2019, Lee began his mandatory military service, becoming the first F.T. Island member to enlist.
- 2015: FM302 (Korean)
- 2018: Do n Do (Korean)
|2004||Kangsooni||To My Friend|
|2007||Unstoppable Marriage||Lately I|
|2011||Heartstrings||Even If It's Not Necessary|
|2013||The Heirs||I'm Saying|
|Rockin' on Heaven's Door||Jump,|
|We Got Married Global Edition Sesson 1 OST||Two Of Us|
|2014||Bride of the Century||Words I Have Yet To Say|
|Modern Farmer||When Love Comes,|
Do Or Die
|2018||Switch||Raise Me Up|
|2002||EBS||TV Original Fairytale: Bicycle Thief||Educational TV series|
|KBS2||Magic Kid Masuri||Masuri's friend||Main cast|
|2004||EBS||There's Light at the Tip of My Fingernails|
|EBS||Kkangsooni||Eo Soo-bong||Educational TV series|
|MBC||Freezing Point||Hwan-yi||Supporting role|
|2005||EBS||Flower Butterfly and Sunflower||Educational TV series|
|EBS||Winter Child||Educational TV series|
|2008||KBS2||Unstoppable Marriage||Hwang Sa-baek's friend||Cameo, Ep. 62|
|SBS||On Air||himself||Cameo, Ep. 1|
|2009||SBS||Style||himself||Cameo, Ep. 6|
|SBS||You're Beautiful||Jeremy||Main cast|
|2010||MBC||More Charming By the Day||chicken delivery guy||Cameo, Ep. 111|
|SBS||My Girlfriend Is a Nine-Tailed Fox||Jeremy||Cameo, Ep. 16|
|2011||TBS||Muscle Girl!||Yoo Ji-ho||Lead role|
|KBS2||Noriko Goes to Seoul||Kim Min-ha||Lead role|
|2013||tvN||Cheongdam-dong 111||himself||Reality show|
|2014||TV Chosun||Bride of the Century||Choi Kang-joo||Lead role|
|SBS||Modern Farmer||Lee Min-ki||Lead role|
|2015||SBS MTV||Coming Out FTISLAND||himself||Reality show (with F.T. Island members)|
|2017||tvN||A Korean Odyssey||P.K||Main cast|
|2019||Oksusu (mobile platform)||I hate you Juliet (literal title)||Cha Yool||Lead role|
|tvN||Melting Me Softly||Son Hyeon-gi (young)||Cameo|
|2013||Rockin' on Heaven's Door||Choong-ui||Lead role|
|2014||How to Steal a Dog||Seok-gu||Supporting role|
|2008||Good Daddy||SBS||Cast member|
|Mnet Scandal Idol Show||Mnet|
|2010||100 Points Out of 100 aka Oh! My School||KBS2||Cast member (Ep. 1 – Ep. 12)|
|Oh My School||KBS||Cast member|
|2013||We Got Married Global Edition||MBC||Cast member (with Fujii Mina)|
|2015||King of Mask Singer||MBC||Contestant as "Blow Hot and Cold Bat Human" (Ep. 3)|
|2017||King of Mask Singer||MBC||Contestant as "Lupin the Phantom Thief" (Ep. 105–106)|
|The Life Academy||tvN||Cast member|
|Night Goblin||JTBC||Cast member (Episode 2-present)|
|2018||Legendary Bowling||TV Chosun||Cast member|
|Find F.T. Island||FNC Ent. (YouTube)||Cast member|
|Road to Ithaca||tvN||Cast member|
|Produce 48||MNET||Cast member (Vocal Trainer)|
|2019||Produce X 101||MNET||MC for the The Beginning Episode|
|2016-2018||Lee Honggi Kiss The Radio (Hongkira)||KBS Cool FM||DJ from 17 October 2016 to April 2018|
|2009||A Midsummer Night's Dream||Lysander||Main role|
|2016||Those Days||Mooyoung||Main Role|
|2013||Lee Hong-gi's Nail Art|||
Awards and nominations
|2009||17th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Top 10 Singers||N/A||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||You're Beautiful||Won|
|2010||16th Korean Entertainment Arts Awards||Best Male Singer||N/A||Won|
|2013||27th Golden Disk Awards||InStyle Fashionista Award||N/A||Won|
|2014||9th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Drama OST||"I'm Saying"||Nominated|
|16th Seoul International Youth Film Festival||Best OST by a Male Artist||Nominated|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 60. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "F.T. Island". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Choi, Ji-eun (27 October 2009). "A.N.JELL actors brighten up Minamishineyo". TenAsia. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Lee Hong Ki Sings You're Beautiful's "Still" In Mandarin". Soompi. 19 July 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Ichikawa Yui and F.T. Island's Lee Hong-gi at the press conference for Muscle Girl". Tokyo Hive. 14 April 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Hong, Lucia (10 August 2011). "FTIsland's Lee Hong-ki to star in upcoming KBS one-act drama". TenAsia. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Hong, Lucia (30 July 2012). "FTIsland Lee Hong-ki to make big screen debut". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Sunwoo, Carla (24 May 2013). "Not all is grim when the reaper pays a visit". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Lee, Sun-min (17 December 2013). "Lee Hong-ki injured on ice". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Hwang, Hye-jin (10 January 2014). "FT Island's Lee Hong Gi Resumes Drama Filming After Injury". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 13 January 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Lee, Na-rae (19 February 2014). "FT Island's Lee Hong Gi Chooses Yang Jin Seong Over Park Shin Hye as Ideal Type". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 25 February 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Han, Ji-hee (20 February 2014). "Interview: Bride of the Century Lee Hong-Ki – Yang Jin-Sung". Get It K. Archived from the original on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "F.T. Island's Hongki to make his solo debut!". Allkpop.com. 4 November 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "FTISLAND official website". Ftisland-official.jp. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "FNC Music Japan INC". Twitter.
- "F.T. Island's Hongki reveals solo debut MV for 'Insensible' starring Park Shin Hye". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "이홍기-박신혜, '미남이시네요' 이후 6년 만에 연기 호흡. 이홍기 뮤비에 박신혜 우정 출연 :: 네이버 TV연예". Entertain.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Super Junior's Heechul to MC Lee Hong Ki's First Solo Showcase – Soompi". Soompi.
- "Lee Hong Ki Takes 1st Solo Win With "Insensible" on "The Show" – Soompi". Soompi.
- "Gaon Chart releases chart rankings for November 15 - November 21". Allkpop.com. 28 November 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "KPOP NEWS - FT Island′s Lee Hong Gi to Release First Solo Album 'AM302' in Japan | Mwave". Mwave.interest.me. 16 February 2016. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Subin and Lee Hongki's flawless rock version of 'Joker' ~ Daily K Pop News". Dkpopnews.net. 22 May 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "FT Island to release EP". Korea Herald. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "FT Island Beats miss A and Trouble Maker to Top Weekly Sales Chart". Soompi. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- blog.koreaboo.com "Ft Island Releases Track list For Their "FTISLAND Japan Best All About" Album
- kpopstarz.com 5.30.14"Band FTISLAND New Japan Album 'New Page' Tops Japan Ring Tone Chart"
- "FTISLAND's Lee Hong Ki Launches Website for His Fashion Brand "Skull Hong"". Soompi. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- Irene Kok (17 August 2011). "FTISLAND李洪基時尚品牌SKULL HONG 即將進軍日本 - KSD 韓星網 (明星)". Koreastardaily.com. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "FTISLAND's Lee Hong Ki Enlists In The Military". Soompi. 30 September 2019. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "[이슈IS]'화유기', 오늘 주연진 첫 만남 "이승기 제외"". Ilgan Sports (in Korean). Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- Hwang Hye-soo (9 April 2017). "'복면가왕' 여심잡은 '괴도루팡' 정체는 '이홍기'". News1 Korea (in Korean). Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "FTISLAND's Lee Hong Ki to Star as Dracula in New Musical "Vampire"". Soompi. 1 July 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "이홍기 '그날들'로 2년만 뮤지컬 복귀 - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔". Newsen.com. 17 June 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "FT Island boy publishes nail art book". Korea JoongAng Daily. 25 June 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "FTISLANDのイ・ホンギ写真集『HONGSTARGRAM』12/3発売". 24 October 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Ko Jae-wan (4 January 2010). "Jang Seo-hee wins grand prize at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Winners from the 27th Golden Disk Awards (Day 2)". Allkpop. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Hong-gi.|