|National team||Team GB|
2 May 1986 |
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||11 st (70 kg)|
|Spouse(s)||Felicity Purchase-Hill (2012 - present)|
|Event(s)||Lightweight Double Sculls|
|Club||Marlow Rowing Club, Upton Rowing Club, Evesham Rowing Club|
He has also won three gold, one silver and a bronze at the World Rowing Championships.
Early life and education
Purchase was born in Cheltenham to Nicholas Purchase and Sara Holyer on 2 May 1986. Originally a competitive swimmer, Purchase started rowing in 1999 whilst a pupil at the King's School, Worcester. Whilst at school, he also passed Grade 8 on the Saxophone with a Merit.
Following school, Purchase joined the British Rowing team as an U23 rower.
Purchase is widely regarded as one of the World's most successful lightweight rowers.
In 2002, Purchase won his first international medals, a gold and silver at the Coupe de la Jeunesse and competed at the World Rowing Junior Championships the following two years. In 2003, aged 17, Purchase won the Fawley Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta.
in 2005, Purchase competed at the World Rowing U23 Championships in Amsterdam where he won a gold medal. He entered the Senior World Rowing Championships three weeks later and won a silver medal. Both medals were achieved in the Lightweight Men's Single Scull.
By 2006, Purchase was a full time member of the senior British Rowing, based in Caversham, Berkshire. The same year saw him summer a ligament injury in his left wrist, which stopped him training between January - May. Regardless of this, his competed at the World Rowing Championships in Eton, Berkshire that summer and won his first World Championship title, achieving a World Record in the Lightweight Men's Single Scull.
Following his success in 2006, Purchase moved to the Lightweight Men's Double Scull in order to train for the 2008 Summer Olympics. Purchase achieved a bronze medal with Hunter in this category at the 2007 World Rowing Championships in Munich, Germany.
2009 saw Purchase take a year out of the sport due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
He won his second Olympic medal (silver) at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
Life after rowing
Since retiring from rowing, Purchase has taken part in a number public events and TV shows, including Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Ready Steady Cook, Three Men in a Boat and A Question of Sport.
He regularly gives motivational speeches and hosts away days for businesses, schools and charities.
He has also qualified as a Personal Trainer.
On 27 November 2008, Zac Purchase officially named an eight rowing boat at The King's School, Worcester in honour of his Olympic Gold Medal win.
In August 2016, Purchase and his wife will launch a new fitness studio in Marlow, Buckinghamshire called Zacs. Zacs will offer exercise classes designed by Purchase, along with high quality personal training. Zacs classes are aimed at everyday people, regardless of their level of fitness or body type and aim to get more people active and leading a healthy lifestyle.
Purchase married long term partner Felicity Purchase-Hill (née Hill), also a former pupil and rower at the King's School, Worcester, shortly after the 2012 Summer Olympics at St Paul's Cathedral in London. The wedding was covered by Hello, published in Issue 1242 on 10 September 2012.
They have one daughter, Persephone Ophelia Purchase-Hill, born 30 October 2015.
- 2012 London – Silver, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2008 Beijing – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2011 Bled – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow) with Mark Hunter
- 2010 Lake Karapiro – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2007 Munich – Bronze, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2006 Eton – Gold, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2005 Gifu – Silver, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2005 Amsterdam – Gold, Lightweight Single Scull (U23 World Championships)
- 2012 Belgrade - Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2010 Bled - Gold, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2008 Poznań – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2008 Lucerne – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2008 Munich – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2007 Lucerne – Bronze, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2007 Amsterdam – Silver, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2007 Linz – Silver, Lightweight Double Scull (bow)
- 2006 Lucerne – Gold, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2005 Munich – Silver, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2005 Eton – 4th, Lightweight Single Scull
World Under 23 Championships
- 2005 Amsterdam - Gold, Lightweight Single Scull
GB Rowing Team Senior Trials
- 2011 - 1st, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2010 - 1st, Lightweight Single Scull
- 2007 - 1st, Lightweight Single Scull
2009 New Years Honours
- MBE, Services to Sport
- Tozer, Malcolm, ed. (2012). Physical Education and Sport in Independent Schools. John Catt Educational Ltd. p. 289. ISBN 9781908095442.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2008.
- ZacPurchase.com