Zeus Web Server
Zeus Web Server is a discontinued proprietary web server for Unix and Unix-like platforms (including Solaris, FreeBSD, HP-UX and Linux). It was developed by Zeus Technology, a software company located in Cambridge, England. The original authors and company founders are University of Cambridge graduates Damian Reeves and Adam Twiss.
Support for AIX, Tru64, and Mac OS X was dropped on 10 June 2008. No new ZWS releases have been made since January 2010, and the company no longer offers a similar server solution. In July 2011, the company was acquired by Riverbed Technology, who ended support for ZWS on November 30, 2014.
Zeus was designed to be a high-performance web server and was commonly used by hardware vendors submitting SPECweb99 benchmarks for their hardware. The SPECweb99 benchmark was retired in 2005 and replaced by SPECweb2005. While some SPECweb2005 submissions were made using Zeus, by 2008 it was no longer among the top performers.
In addition to static content serving, Zeus supported dynamic content via CGI, FastCGI, Apache JServ, ISAPI, NSAPI, mod_perl, SSI and Zeus Distributed Authentication and Content (ZDAC), a proprietary FastCGI-like protocol. While Zeus mainly competed with other commercial web servers such as Oracle iPlanet Web Server, it also included a high degree of compatibility with Apache HTTP Server (including .htaccess support and a URL rewriting system comparable to Apache's mod_rewrite), with the expectation that Apache users would migrate to Zeus as their server load increased. NSAPI and ISAPI were added to ease migrations from Microsoft IIS and Sun Java System Web Server.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 6, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2008.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 21, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Riverbed Expands IT Performance Business with Acquisition of Zeus Technology". Riverbed Technology. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Hardware & Software End of Life Policy". Riverbed Technology. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Web Server Software". Zeus. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "All SPECweb99 Results". SPEC. Nov 21, 2005. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "Retired SPEC Benchmarks". SPEC. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "All SPECweb2005 Results". SPEC. Dec 19, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- Clyman, John (2002-01-15). "Zeus Web Server 4.0". Server's Advantage PC Magazine Editor's Choice Winner. PC Magazine. Retrieved 2008-12-21.