Zeus Web Server
Zeus Web Server is a proprietary web server for Unix and Unix-like platforms (currently Solaris, FreeBSD, HP-UX and Linux). It was developed by Zeus Technology, a software company located in Cambridge, England. The original authors and company founders are University of Cambridge graduates Damian Reeves and Adam Twiss.
Support for AIX, Tru64, and Mac OS X was dropped on 10 June 2008. ZWS hasn't been updated since January 2010, and the company no longer offers a similar server solution. In July 2011, the company was acquired by Riverbed Technology and ended product support November 30, 2014.
Zeus is designed to be a high-performance web server and was commonly used by hardware vendors submitting SPECweb99 benchmarks for their hardware. The SPECweb99 benchmark was retired in 2005 and replaced by SPECweb2005. While some SPECweb2005 submissions were made using Zeus, as of 2008 it is no longer among the top performers.
In addition to static content serving, Zeus supports dynamic content via CGI, FastCGI, Apache JServ, ISAPI, NSAPI, mod_perl, SSI and Zeus Distributed Authentication and Content (ZDAC), a proprietary FastCGI-like protocol. While Zeus mainly competes with other commercial web servers such as Oracle iPlanet Web Server, it also claims a high degree of compatibility with Apache HTTP Server (e.g. .htaccess and mod rewrite), with the expectation that Apache users will migrate to Zeus as their server load increases. NSAPI and ISAPI are supported to ease migrations from Microsoft IIS and Sun Java System Web Server.
- "ZWS: selected platforms - end-of-life announcement (News)". Zeus Technology. 10 December 2007. Retrieved 2008-12-21.[dead link]
- "ZWS 4.3r5 released (News)". Zeus Technology. 13 January 2010. Retrieved 2012-05-23.[dead link]
- "Riverbed Expands IT Performance Business with Acquisition of Zeus Technology". Riverbed Technology. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Hardware & Software End of Life Policy". Riverbed Technology. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Web Server Software". Zeus. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "All SPECweb99 Results". SPEC. Nov 21, 2005. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "Retired SPEC Benchmarks". SPEC. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "All SPECweb2005 Results". SPEC. Dec 19, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- Clyman, John (2002-01-15). "Zeus Web Server 4.0". Server's Advantage PC Magazine Editor's Choice Winner (PC Magazine). Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- Zeus Technology's site redirects to Riverbed Technology site
- ZWS Online Support
- Examples and How-To's
- Getting Started with Zeus Web Server 4.3 PDF 0.8MB
- Zeus Web Server 4.3 User Guide PDF 3.58MB