Zoon Van Snook
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Zoon Van Snook|
Zoon Van Snook performing live at the Colston Hall, 2010.
|Birth name||Alec Snook|
|Occupation(s)||Songwriter, record producer, remixer|
|Labels||Lo Recordings, Studio !K7, Mush Records, Cookshop Music, Alter-K|
Using a combination of found sound, field recordings, electronics, keyboards and various acoustic instruments including harps, lyres, charangos, ukuleles and mbiras, Snook's music is often referred to as Oddtronica.[unreliable source?]
The debut 12" EP Interviews & Interludes (CKS014) was released on Brighton label Cookshop in September 2008. Lead track "Bibliophone" (created by recording the sound of various books slamming/pages flicking) was championed by the BBC's Rob Da Bank, Huw Stephens, and Stephen Merchant,[unreliable source?] and led to the first hour-long mix for Ninja Tune's Solid Steel Radio.[third-party source needed]
The CD booklet features an individually chosen piece of artwork for each song, created by US artist Seth Fitts. Each image has printed on it a poem, lyric, vignette or short, by various Bristolian writers and artists. UK stocks of the album were depleted after the fire at the Sony/PIAS warehouse in Enfield, during the 2011 England riots, which ironically took place on Snook's birthday.
In November 2012, ZvS signed to UK label Lo Recordings to release second album The Bridge Between Life & Death in June 2013, the recording of which took two years to complete. The album was built around 12 separate field recordings taken in Iceland at the end of 2009. The title is derived from a bridge in Kópavogur that the locals call so, because it has the nursing home on one side and the cemetery on the other. The individual songs and album as a whole are themed around this. The album features collaborations with Amiina, Sin Fang (Seabear) and Benni Hemm Hemm (Morr).
Tracks from The Bridge Between Life & Death have been featured on the France 2 prime-time TV show Rendez-vous en Terre Inconnue (Episode 15, broadcast on 24 September 2013). The Ulrich Schnauss remix of second single The Gaits was also featured in the soundtrack to Carolina Herrera's spring 2014 collection at New York Fashion Week.
Different line-ups have existed for various live shows around the world. Initially a three-piece with bass, guitars, keys and electronics/FX, it was stripped down to a two-piece for a week-long tour of The Netherlands;[third-party source needed] Simple Things festival (with Jon Hopkins, Clark, Gonjasufi, Bibio, Jamie xx);[third-party source needed] and an exclusive live radio session for Tom Robinson's BBC6 Music show in the spring of 2011.[third-party source needed] Finally, the line-up was cut down to a solo show for two showcases at NXNE, Toronto in June 2011.[third-party source needed]
- (Falling from) The Nutty Tree (2010, Mush Records)
- The Bridge Between Life & Death (2013, Lo Recordings)
- (Remixes from) The Nutty Tree (2012, Mush Records)
- Interviews & Interludes (2008, Cookshop Music)
- Cuckoo (2010, Mush Records)
- The Verge of Winter (2013, Lo Recordings)
- "The Gaits (feat. Sin Fang)" (2013, Lo Recordings)
- ICG 3rd Edition (2011, Inner City Grit)
- Seriously Eric #5 (2012, Alter-K)
- Seriously Eric #6 (2013, Alter-K)
- Ernest Gonzales - "Run Jump Seek" (2008, Exponential Records)
- Fujiya & Miyagi - "Dishwasher" (2009, Full Time Hobby)
- Dextro - "The Pacifist" (2009, 16k Records)
- Ernest Gonzales - "Psychedelic Bellhop" (2010, Friends of Friends)
- Day of the Woman - "Cassette Tape" (2010, Exponential)
- Lost Idol - "Litewerk" (2010, Cookshop)
- Broadcast 2000 - "Rouse Your Bones" (2010, Grönland Records)
- Benni Hemm Hemm - "Vilhjalmur af Poitou" (2011, Kimi Records/Morr Music)
- Alka - "Immolated" (2011, Electronic Eel)
- The Doomed Bird of Providence - "Fedicia Exine" (2011, Front & Follow)
- Darwin Deez - "Up in the Clouds" (2011, Lucky Number Music)
- Justice & Metro - "839" (2012, Mjazz)
- Oddfellows Casino - "We Will Be Here" (2012, Nightjar Records)
- Malachai - "Anne" (2012, Double Six Records)
- Diagrams - "Antelope" (2012, Full Time Hobby)
- The Pictish Trail - "Of Course You Exist" (2012, Fence Records)
- James Yorkston - "Spanish Ants" (2013, Domino Recording Company/De-Fence)
- "Ee'm Yorn" (2012) - Dir. Clive Summerill
- "The Verge of Winter" (2013) - Dir. Ívar Hollanders
- "The Gaits" (2013) - Dir. Sam Wisternoff
- "Found Sound: Zoon van snooK". Dummy. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Power, John (13 August 2013). "Zoon van snooK: Lost & Found In Iceland". The 405. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Immersed Audio Oddtronica". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "A Strangely Isolated Place". Retrieved 31 August 2013.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Solid Steel Radio". Ninja Tune. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Nolledo, Michael (28 December 2010). "The Groove Seeker: Zoon Van Snook's (Falling From) The Nutty Tree". Alarm. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "London riots: Dozens injured after Tottenham violence". BBC. 7 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- Maconie, Stuart. "Freak Zone". The Gaits feat. Sin Fang. BBC 6 Music. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Episode, 15. "Rendez-vous en Terre Inconnue". The Land of Ice & Fire. France 2. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Mush, Records. "zoon van snook hits the Netherlands". Mush Records. Retrieved March 2011. Check date values in:
- "Simple Things 2011 line up". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Tom Robinson live session". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Mush, Records. "NXNE". Mush Records. Retrieved May 2011. Check date values in:
- "Roots Music NXNE website". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Daedelus DJ Support". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Gold Pand Start the bus DJ". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "BBC Intro DJ set". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Inner City Grit, Records. "ICG Third Edition". Tale of the Grey Mare. Inner CIty Grit. Retrieved 2011. Check date values in:
- "Alter-K Website". Retrieved 2 September 2013.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Alter, -K. "Seriously Eric #6". Tjornin (Ruxpin remix). Alter-K. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Zoon van snooK - Ee'm Yorn". vimeo.com. 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Zoon Van SnooK - 'The Verge of Winter' (405 Premiere)". thefourohfive.com. 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Video Premiere: Zoon van SnooK feat. Sin Fang - 'The Gaits'". societeperrier.com. 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2014.