1992 New York Yankees season
|1992 New York Yankees|
|Major League affiliations|
Joe Molloy (managing partner)
(Phil Rizzuto, Tom Seaver, Bobby Murcer) MSG
(Dewayne Staats, Tony Kubek, Al Trautwig)
|Local radio||WABC (AM)
(John Sterling, Michael Kay)
|Previous season Next season|
The New York Yankees' 1992 season was the 90th season for the Yankees. The team finished with a record of 76-86 finishing 20 games behind the Toronto Blue Jays. New York was managed by Buck Showalter. The Yankees played at Yankee Stadium. To date, this is the last season where the Yankees have finished with a losing record.
- November 13, 1991: Ramiro Mendoza was signed as an amateur free agent by the Yankees.
- November 20, 1991: Eric Plunk was released by the New York Yankees.
- December 2, 1991: Bob Geren was selected off waivers from the Yankees by the Cincinnati Reds.
- January 6, 1992: Danny Tartabull was signed as a free agent with the Yankees.
- January 8, 1992: Darrin Chapin was traded by the Yankees to the Philadelphia Phillies for a player to be named later. The Phillies completed the deal by sending Charlie Hayes to the Yankees on February 19.
- January 9, 1992: Mike Gallego signed as a free agent with the Yankees.
- January 10, 1992: Steve Sax was traded by the Yankees to the Chicago White Sox for Bob Wickman, Domingo Jean and Melido Pérez.
- On August 12, pitcher Scott Sanderson threw exactly three pitches and recorded three outs. This was accomplished in the fifth inning.
- J. T. Snow made his major league debut on September 20 against the Kansas City Royals. In 5 At Bats he had no hits.
|Toronto Blue Jays||96||66||.593||--|
|New York Yankees||76||86||.469||20|
|Boston Red Sox||73||89||.451||23|
- April 9, 1992: Shawn Hillegas was signed as a free agent by the Yankees.
- June 1, 1992: Derek Jeter was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 1st round (6th pick) of the 1992 amateur draft. Player signed June 27, 1992.
- August 22, 1992: Tim Leary and cash were traded by the Yankees to the Seattle Mariners for Sean Twitty (minors).
- August 22, 1992: Shawn Hillegas was released by the New York Yankees.
|1992 New York Yankees|
Starters by position
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Columbus
- Ramiro Mendoza page at Baseball Reference
- Bob Geren page at Baseball Reference
- Danny Tartabull page at Baseball Reference
- Charlie Hayes page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Gallego page at Baseball Reference
- Bob Wickman page at Baseball Reference
- 3 Pitch Inning
- J. T. Snow page at Baseball Reference
- Shawn Hillegas page at Baseball Reference
- Derek Jeter page at Baseball Reference
- Tim Leary page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007