650 California Street
|650 California Street|
|Alternative names||Hartford Building|
|Preceded by||Russ Building|
|Surpassed by||44 Montgomery|
|Location||650 California Street
|Roof||142 m (466 ft)|
|Floor area||461,000 sq ft (42,800 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Skidmore, Owings & Merrill|
650 California Street, also known as the Hartford Building, is a 34 story, 142 m, (466 feet) office tower on the northwestern edge of San Francisco's Financial District. The tower is located on California Street on the edge of Chinatown, and not far from 555 California Street. 650 California is visible from every direction except from the southeast, where the Financial District skyscrapers block the view.
The building was designed by Edward Charles Bassett of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill for Hartford Insurance, its initial tenant. It is architecturally significant, featuring a tall modernist lobby, high ceilings, and an exterior skeleton of floor-to-ceiling windows recessed into a square gridwork of precast white reinforced concrete.
When this tower was completed in 1964, it was the second in San Francisco larger than 400,000 sq ft (37,000 m2). It also became California's tallest building, replacing both the Russ Building in San Francisco and the Los Angeles City Hall in Los Angeles, California. Later skyscrapers in both San Francisco and Los Angeles took the title of California's tallest from this building.
650 California Street passed the certification requirements for the Gold Level of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating in June 2011. The LEED building certification system is a program for rating the design, construction and operation of environmentally and socially responsible buildings.
- 650 California Street at Emporis
- 650 California Street at SkyscraperPage
- 650 California Street at Structurae
- "650 California Street". Emporis. Retrieved 2007-09-24.
- Betty J. Blum (1989). Edward Charles Bassett (1921-1999), oral history. Art Institute of Chicago. Retrieved 2007-09-24.
- "Pivotal LLC purchases 650 California Street". Pivotal Group. 2000-10-13. Archived from the original on 16 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "650 California Street". Pivotal Group. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Certified Project Directory", U.S. Green Building Council, Gold Level LEED-EB:OM v2009 June 2011
- "Significant 4Q10 Lease Transactions", MarketBeat San Francisco Office Report, Cushman & Wakefield, Oct-Dec 2010.