From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||8th century – 9th century – 10th century|
|Decades:||830s 840s 850s – 860s – 870s 880s 890s|
|Years:||865 866 867 – 868 – 869 870 871|
|868 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1621|
|Bahá'í calendar||-976 – -975|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||丁亥年 (Fire Pig)
3564 or 3504
— to —
戊子年 (Earth Rat)
3565 or 3505
|- Vikram Samvat||924–925|
|- Shaka Samvat||790–791|
|- Kali Yuga||3969–3970|
|Igbo calendar||-132 – -131|
|Japanese calendar||Jōgan 10
|Minguo calendar||1044 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1411|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 868.|
- Ahmad ibn Tulun, a Turkish mameluk general in Arab army founds Tulunid dynasty in Egypt.
- The Aghlabid dynasty of Tunisia takes Malta.
- In Metz, Charles the Bald and Louis the German decide on a division of the lands of former emperor Lothar (now in possession of Lothar II and Louis II).
- In England, Alfred the Great marries Ealhswith and goes to the aid of Burgred of Mercia, who is attacked by Danes.
- The First County of Portugal is established by Vímara Peres, after the reconquest from the Moors of the region north of the Douro River.
- Aed Finliath drives the invading Danes and Norwegians out of Ireland, after defeating them at the Battle of Killineery.
- Al-Andalus: The city of Mérida rises against the Umayyad rule. The emir Muhammad regains control, have the walls of the city destroyed and supports the rival creation of the city of Badajoz as a retaliation.
- Ratramnus writes Contra Graecorum Opposita.
- Muhammad al-Mahdi, Shia Imam
- Choe Eon-wui, Korean civil minister and calligrapher
- Théodrate of Troyes, wife of Odo, Count of Paris
- July 1 – Ali al-Hadi, Shia Imam (b. 828)
- Al-Jahiz, an Arabic prose writer, historian, and author of works of adab, Mu'tazili theology, and politico-religious polemics (b. 776)
- Bugha al-Sharabi, Turkish general of the Abbasid Caliphate (executed)