Academy of Contemporary Music
|The Academy of Contemporary Music|
World Leaders in Music Industry Education
The school differs from more traditional music academies by its focus on rock, pop music, electronic dance music and its vocational approach. To facilitate careers for its students, it has established relationships with record labels and management companies. The school has links with Guildford's Electric Theatre, Guildford College, Middlesex University and University of Surrey.
The Academy of Contemporary Music was the brainchild of Phil Brookes, a guitar tutor from nearby Woking. He wanted to bring contemporary music education and the music industry closer together, ultimately becoming mutually beneficial and working together in the same environment. Originally ACM consisted of tutors who were mainly professional musicians and considered teaching students as a part of their profession. ACM currently has three educational partners: Guildford College which is located in the heart of Guildford granting BTEC/Edexcel awards for the lower discipline, and Middlesex University and University of Surrey who validate the Certificate in Higher Education for the intermediate discipline and degree BA (Hons) and BMus (Hons) through to an MA (Masters) in contemporary music.
In May 2008 ACM was awarded the The Queen's Award for Enterprise: Innovation (Technology) (2008). In late 2009, with support from The University of Central Oklahoma, ACM opened up its first location outside of the UK in Downtown Oklahoma City, with Scott Booker as the Executive Director.
The academy offers full time courses for guitar, bass, drums, vocals, keyboards, music production, artist development & songwriting, radio broadcasting, creative sound design, tour production and management and music business to Diploma, Higher Diploma, Bachelor's Degree or Masters Degree level. ACM also offers Part time courses which consist of ACM Plus+ courses for over people over the age of 16 and ACM Junior courses for ages 10–16. The Diploma is a level 3 qualification while the Higher Diploma is a level 4 qualification.[clarification needed]
Some previous students of the ACM include:
- Newton Faulkner, guitarist/singer/songwriter whose album Hand Built By Robots went to number one in the UK Album Charts.
- Amelle Berrabah, member of girl group The Sugababes.
- Ben King, lead guitarist with The Yardbirds.
- Guy Davis, member of rock group Reuben.
- Joe Butterworth drummer for progressive death metal band, Talanas
- Ed Sheeran, singer/songwriter who in 2012 made a huge impression in the charts
- Zomboy, dubstep producer who is the latest addition to Never Say Die Records
- Ryan Fletcher, bassist for Lawson
- Joel Peat, lead guitarist for Lawson
- Molly Smitten-Downes, Singer-Songwriter and the United Kingdom's Eurovision Song Contest 2014 entry
Notable current and former staff include:
- Dave Kilminster - prog rock guitarist currently performing with Roger Waters
- Eric Roche - Fingerstyle guitarist
- Chad Jackson - Winner of 1987 DMC World DJ Championships.
- Mike Sturgis - drummer
- Tim Bricheno - formerly guitarist with All About Eve and The Sisters of Mercy.
- Guthrie Govan - guitarist in Asia, Young Punx and The Fellowship.
- Jamie Humphries
- "ACM Website: Home Page". Archived from the original on 16 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- "ACM Website: About Us Page". Archived from the original on 9 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- Tim Edwards (2006-03-23). "The Independent: Contemporary music academies give stars of future a chance to be heard". Archived from the original on 21 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- Queen's Award - Innovation at Business Link
- "ACM Website: Students Into Industry". Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- The Academy of Contemporary Music website
- ACM Myspace Profile
- Middlesex University website
- Guildford College website
- The Electric Theatre website