Left to right: Mike Carey, Andy Diggle and Jock
|Notable works||The Losers
|Awards||"Favourite Comics Editor" Eagle Award (2000)|
Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel.
Diggle took over editing 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine in the year 2000 and, as editor, was credited (most frequently by David Bishop, who originally employed him) as having spearheaded a return to the "old school" values of 2000 AD. While at 2000 AD he wrote a number of stories, including the Judge Dredd spin-off Lenny Zero with Jock, with whom he would continue to collaborate after his move to American comic books.
Diggle spent a total of five years under exclusive contract to DC Comics, for whom he wrote Lady Constantine, Batman Confidential, Green Arrow: Year One (again with Jock), Adam Strange: Planet Heist and Hellblazer.
This was followed by Guy Ritchie's Gamekeeper, which was shortly thereafter optioned by Warner Bros, for Virgin Comics.
In 2008, Andy Diggle was announced as the new writer of Thunderbolts, his first work at Marvel Comics since his Punisher one-shot. The changes in the Thunderbolts were part of the Secret Invasion-aftermath storyline, Dark Reign, and Diggle also wrote a limited series which ties into it, Dark Reign: Hawkeye.
Diggle signed an exclusive deal with Marvel early in 2009 and would go on to take over the writing of Daredevil after Ed Brubaker's departure in issue #500, wrote Dark Reign: The List - Daredevil and the main limited series in the Daredevil storyline Shadowland.
As a writer
Titles published by Rebellion include:
- Judge Dredd Megazine:
- 2000 AD:
- Judge Dredd vs. Aliens: Incubus (with John Wagner and Henry Flint, in Prog 2003 and #1322-1335, 2003) collected as Judge Dredd vs. Aliens: Incubus (hc, 104 pages, 2003, ISBN 1-904265-10-3; tpb, 2007, ISBN 1-905437-14-5)
- Snow/Tiger: "Pax Americana" (with Andy Clarke, in #1336-1342, 2003)
- Tharg's Future Shocks: "Red Moon" (with Kev Walker, in #1398, 2004)
Titles published by DC Comics' Vertigo imprint include:
- Lady Constantine #1-4 (with Goran Sudžuka, 2003) collected as Hellblazer Special: Lady Constantine (tpb, 96 pages, 2006, ISBN 1-4012-0942-4)
- Hellblazer (with Leonardo Manco, Danijel Zezelj and Giuseppe Camuncoli, 2007-2008) collected as:
- The Losers:
- Ante Up (tpb, 160 pages, 2004, ISBN 1-4012-0198-9) collects:
- "Dead Man's Hand" (with Jock, in #1, 2003)
- "Goliath" (with Jock, in #2-6, 2003-2004)
- Double Down (tpb, 144 pages, 2004, ISBN 1-4012-0348-5) collects:
- "Downtime" (with Shawn C. Martinbrough, in #7-8, 2004)
- "Island Life" (with Jock, in #9-12, 2004)
- Trifecta (tpb, 168 pages, 2005, ISBN 1-4012-0489-9) collects:
- Close Quarters (tpb, 144 pages, 2006, ISBN 1-4012-0719-7) collects:
- "London Calling" (with Ben Oliver, in #20-22, 2005)
- "Anti-Heist" (with Jock, in #23-25, 2005)
- Endgame (tpb, 166 pages, 2006, ISBN 1-4012-1004-X) collects:
- "UnAmerica" (with Colin Wilson, in #26-28, 2005)
- "Endgame" (with Jock, in #29-32, 2005-2006)
- Ante Up (tpb, 160 pages, 2004, ISBN 1-4012-0198-9) collects:
- Swamp Thing #1-6 (with Enrique Breccia, 2004) collected as Swamp Thing: Bad Seed (tpb, 144 pages, 2005, ISBN 1-4012-0421-X)
- Vertigo Crime: Rat Catcher (with Victor Ibáñez, graphic novel, hc, 192 pages, 2010, ISBN 1-4012-1158-5)
Titles published by DC Comics include:
- Adam Strange #1-8 (with Pasqual Ferry, 2004-2005) collected as Adam Strange: Planet Heist (tpb, 192 pages, 2005, ISBN 1-4012-0727-8)
- Batman Confidential #1-6 (with Whilce Portacio, 2006-2007) collected as Batman: Rules of Engagement (hc, 160 pages, 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1481-9; tpb, 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1706-0)
- Green Arrow: Year One #1-6 (with Jock, 2007) collected as GA: Year One (hc, 160 pages, 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1687-0; tpb, 2009, ISBN 1-4012-1743-5)
Titles published by Marvel include:
- Punisher: Silent Night (with Kyle Hotz, one-shot, 2006) collected in Punisher: Very Special Holidays (tpb, 120 pages, 2006, ISBN 0-7851-2220-6)
- Thunderbolts (with Roberto de la Torre, Bong Dazo, Miguel Sepulveda and Pop Mhan, 2009) collected as:
- Burning Down the House (collects #126-129 and 132, hc, 112 pages, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3152-3; tpb, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-3166-3)
- Dark Reign: Deadpool/Thunderbolts (includes #130-131, tpb, 96 pages, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-4090-5)
- Widowmaker (includes #133-136, hc, 120 pages, 2009, ISBN 0-7851-4006-9; tpb, 2010, ISBN 0-7851-4091-3)
- Dark Reign: Hawkeye #1-5 (with Tom Raney, 2009-2010) collected as Dark Reign: Hawkeye (tpb, 120 pages, 2010, ISBN 0-7851-3850-1)
- Daredevil (with Roberto de la Torre, Billy Tan, Antony Johnston and Marco Checchetto, 2009-2010) collected as:
- Shadowland #1-5 (with Billy Tan, 2010-2011) collected as Shadowland (hc, 144 pages, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-4762-4; tpb, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-4763-2)
- Daredevil: Reborn #1-4 (with Davide Gianfelice, 2011) collected as DD: Reborn (hc, 112 pages, 2011, ISBN 0-7851-5132-X; tpb, 2012, ISBN 0-7851-5133-8)
- Six Guns #1-5 (with Davide Gianfelice, 2012)
Other US publishers
Titles published by various American publishers include:
- Star Wars Tales #18: "Payback" (with Henry Flint, Dark Horse, 2003) collected in Star Wars Tales vol.5 (tpb, 248 pages, 2005, ISBN 1-59307-286-4)
- Silent Dragon #1-6 (with Leinil Francis Yu, Wildstorm, 2005) collected as Silent Dragon (tpb, 144 pages, 2006, ISBN 1-4012-1104-6)
- Gamekeeper #1-5 (with Guy Ritchie and Mukesh Singh, Virgin, 2007) collected as GRG: Tooth and Claw (tpb, 144 pages, 2007, ISBN 1-934413-09-7)
- Bionic Commando: Chain of Command (with Colin Wilson, one-shot, Capcom, 2009)
- Thought Bubble Anthology: "November in the North of England..." (with D'Israeli, one-shot, Image, 2011)
As an editor
|This section requires expansion. (December 2011)|
- Irvine, Alex (2008). "The Losers". In Dougall, Alastair. The Vertigo Encyclopedia. New York: Dorling Kindersley. pp. 114–115. ISBN 0-7566-4122-5. OCLC 213309015
- "About Me"; Andy Diggle's official website; Accessed October 3, 2010
- Interview: going underground in Mega-City One, SFX, March 2, 2008
- Back To The Future: DC Announces Five Year One Miniseries, Newsarama
- Irvine, Alex (2008). "John Constantine Hellblazer". In Dougall, Alastair. The Vertigo Encyclopedia. New York: Dorling Kindersley. pp. 102–111. ISBN 0-7566-4122-5. OCLC 213309015
- Andy Diggle Joins Hellblazer With #230, Newsarama
- Diggle: Bringing Bionic Commando to Webcomics, Newsarama, July 18, 2008
- CCI: Diggle and Rosemann Talk "Thunderbolts", Comic Book Resources, July 27, 2008
- What's in a Name? Andy Diggle on Dark Reign: Hawkeye, Newsarama, March 2, 2009
- Phegley, Kiel (March 26, 2009). "EXCLUSIVE: Diggle on Daredevil". Marvel.com. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Brady, Matt (March 24, 2009). "Moving into Hell's Kitchen: Andy Diggle Talks Daredevil". Newsarama. Archived from the original on 28 March 2009. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Mahadeo, Kevin (June 30, 2009). "Making the List: Andy Diggle". Marvel.com. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- Richards, Dave (April 17, 2010). "C2E2: Diggle Leads Daredevil into "Shadowland"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- Official website
- Andy Diggle at the Comic Book DB
- Andy Diggle Blog
- Andy Diggle at Marvel.com
- Andy Diggle Q&A, 2000ADReview, by Richmond Clements, July 27, 2003
- Breaking The Silence; Andy Diggle Talks "Silent Dragon," "The Losers" and "Adam Strange", Comic Book Resources, February 18, 2005
- Wizard Q&A: Andy Diggle & Jock, Wizard, March 11, 2008
- Badham, Matthew. Interrogation: Tharg's Head Revisited, Judge Dredd Megazine #281, March 2009
|2000 AD editor
|Judge Dredd Megazine editor