Malaysian People's Welfare Party
|Malaysian People's Welfare Party|
|Founded||16 February 1995 (as AKIM)|
|Headquarters||Petaling Jaya, Selangor|
|Ideology||Secularism, Social Justice|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The party was founded as a splinter party of PAS in 1995 following internal disagreements by members within the party. A few members from Semangat 46 also joined the fray following its dissolution in 1996. AKIM contested in the 1999 General elections for the parliamentary seats of Pasir Puteh and Kota Bharu but failed.
In 2008, the party's president registered itself to participate in the Permatang Pauh by-election, but only managed to catch 92 votes in the election and losing his RM 15,000 deposit in the process. Nevertheless, he hoped that the election could serve as a platform to introduce the party to the nation.
Relaunched as Kita
On 13 December 2010, AKIM announced that Datuk Zaid Ibrahim has joined its ranks as a party member, with the view of having Zaid lead and revamp AKIM into a viable political party for the coming 13th Malaysian General Elections. The party further explained that Zaid had submitted his membership application to join AKIM in Nov 2010 after his former party, PKR, accepted Zaid's resignation.
During the party's annual general meeting on 15 December 2010, Datuk Mohd Zaid Bin Ibrahim was elected as the party's new president (later called "Party Chief"), taking over from Zakaria Salleh, the outgoing president of AKIM. The party also announced that it will be adopting a new name, the People's Welfare Party or Parti Kesejahteraan Insan Tanah Air (KITA).
Zaid Ibrahim also announced that Kita would be a multi-racial democratic party open to all races in Malaysia, and despite its current small size, aims to make an impact in the country's political scene by focusing on goals for the long haul. Zaid also announced that Kita's official party ideology and principles, including its new constitution, manifesto, and logo, will be unveiled in Kuala Lumpur on 19 January 2011.
- 1995-February 1998: Musa Salih
- 1998-1999: Mohd Din Nizam Din (acting)
- 1999-2002: Mohammad Yusoff
- 2002-2009: Hanafi Mamat
- 2009-2010: Zakaria Salleh
- Pertandingan tiga penjuru
- Small step for Akim
- Surprise small fish takes on Anwar and Arif Shah.
- Zaid resurrects political career, appointed new party chief, (FreeMalaysiaToday), 15 December 2010
- Eur (2002). The Far East and Australasia 2003. Routledge. p. 797. ISBN 1-85743-133-2.
- Calon AKIM Yakin Mampu Menang Di Permatang Pauh
- Zaid Ibrahim now an Akim member, (The Malaysian Insider), 13 December 2010
- Akim renamed to Kita, Zaid is now the Party Chief, (The Star), 15 December 2010
- Zaid: Kita not in Pakatan fold, (The Malaysian Insider), 15 December 2010
- Akibat Menentang PAS
- Gabungan Parti Tajaan BN
- Five MPs may join Zaid’s new Kita, (The Star Online), 16 December 2010
- Akim renamed Kita, Zaid’s president, (The Malaysian Insider), 15 December 2010