|Top view of an Apple Martini|
|Primary alcohol by volume|
Apple slice; Cherry
|Standard drinkware||Cocktail glass|
|Commonly used ingredients|
|Preparation||Mix in a shaker, then pour into a chilled glass. Garnish and serve.|
An apple martini (appletini for short) is a cocktail containing vodka and one or more of apple juice, apple cider, apple liqueur, or apple brandy. Optionally, vermouth may be included, as in a regular martini. Typically, the apple vodka is shaken or stirred with a sweet and sour mix and then strained into a cocktail glass.
This drink, properly called an Adam's Apple Martini, was created and popularized in 1995 by Adam Karsten, a bartender at Lola's in West Hollywood, California.
In its purest form, it would contain:
- 40 ml (1 ⅓ oz) top shelf vodka (or gin)
- 30 ml (⅔ oz) apple juice, cider, or most often-apple pucker
The appletini can also be made with "martini bianco" in a long drink glass and filled with apple juice.
In popular culture
- The appletini is the favorite alcoholic drink of John "J.D." Dorian in the sitcom Scrubs in which it is often characterized as being somewhat effeminate.
- Along with a rum and diet coke, it is also the favorite drink of Alan Harper from Two and a Half Men.
- Sue Sylvester, the sadistic gym teacher of the musical television series Glee, mentions that appletini is her favorite flavor of protein gel in the episode "Funk".
- In the 2010 film The Social Network, in the initial meeting between Facebook co-founders Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin and Napster co-founder Sean Parker, Parker buys the table a few rounds of the drink. In real life, Zuckerberg never had an appletini until he attended the film's premiere. After seeing the film, Zuckerberg made the appletini Facebook's official drink.
- In the pilot episode for the Adult Swim show, Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, Satan apologizes for calling Lucy after having four appletinis.
- In an episode of the animated television series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Applejack (whose name refers to another alcoholic beverage as well) is shrunk from the effects of a "poison joke" plant. Spike, in a pun on the word "tiny", refers to her as "Appletini".
- The appletini is the preferred drink of Ring of Honor star "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels. He always enjoys the drink during his backstage promos and before matches.
- In the 2007 Disney fairy tale movie Enchanted Nathaniel disguised as a waiter offers Giselle an appletini made with poisoned apples in yet another attempt to poison her by Queen Narissa's order.
- In an episode of Community, after Jeff and Annie's fight, Jeff offers to Annie something to drink, Annie asks for an appletini; but Jeff refuses to order it; Annie convinces him.
- The favorite drink of late night host Conan O'Brien.
- In the movie The Break Up Jennifer Aniston's character's favorite drink is an appletini
- "FOX Broadcasting Company - Glee TV Show - Glee TV Series - Glee Episode Guide: Funk". Fox Broadcasting Company. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- Henig, Samantha (2010-10-01). "New Yorker Festival: Facts, Fiction, Facebook, and Appletinis". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2011-03-20.