|Top view of an Apple Martini|
|Primary alcohol by volume|
Apple slice; Cherry
|Standard drinkware||Cocktail glass|
|Commonly used ingredients|
|Preparation||Mix in a shaker, then pour into a chilled glass. Garnish and serve.|
An apple martini (appletini for short) is a cocktail containing vodka and one or more of apple juice, apple cider, apple liqueur, or apple brandy. Optionally, vermouth may be included, as in a regular martini. Typically, the apple vodka is shaken or stirred with a sweet and sour mix and then strained into a cocktail glass.
In its purest form, it would contain:
- 10 ml (⅓ oz) sweet vermouth
- 10 ml (⅓ oz) dry vermouth
- 40 ml (1 ⅓ oz) top shelf vodka (or gin)
- 30 ml (⅔ oz) apple juice or apple cider
Comment: The above measures are not consistent across dimensions. For example, presuming the English numbers to be correct, then the metric volume of "apple juice or apple cider" should be 20 ml, rather than 30 ml. Otherwise, the ratios don't match.
The appletini can also be made with "martini bianco" in a long drink glass and filled with apple juice.
In popular culture
- The appletini is the favorite alcoholic drink of John "J.D." Dorian in the sitcom Scrubs in which it is often characterized as being somewhat effeminate.
- It is also the favorite drink of Alan Harper from Two and a Half Men.
- Sue Sylvester, the sadistic gym teacher of the musical television series Glee, mentions that appletini is her favorite flavor of protein gel in the episode "Funk".
- In the 2010 film The Social Network, in the initial meeting between Facebook co-founders Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin and Napster co-founder Sean Parker, Parker buys the table a few rounds of the drink. In real life, Zuckerberg never had an appletini until he attended the film's premiere. After seeing the film, Zuckerberg made the appletini Facebook's official drink.
- In the pilot episode for the Adult Swim show, Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, Satan apologizes for calling Lucy after having 4 Appletinis.
- In an episode of the animated television series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Applejack (whose name refers to another alcoholic beverage as well) is shrunk from the effects of a "poison joke" plant. Spike, in a pun on the word "tiny", refers to her as "Appletini".
- The appletini is the preferred drink of Total Nonstop Action Wrestling star "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels. He always enjoys the drink during his backstage promos and before matches.
- In the 2007 Disney fairytale movie "Enchanted" Nathaniel disguised as a waiter offers Giselle an Appletini made with poisoned apples in yet another attempt to poison her by Queen Narissa's order.
- In an episode of Community (TV series), after Jeff and Annie's fight, Jeff offers to Annie something to drink, Annie asks for an Appletini; but Jeff refuses to order it; Annie convinces him.
- "FOX Broadcasting Company - Glee TV Show - Glee TV Series - Glee Episode Guide: Funk". Fox Broadcasting Company. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- Henig, Samantha (2010-10-01). "New Yorker Festival: Facts, Fiction, Facebook, and Appletinis". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
|This mixed drink–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|