Groveland Township, Michigan
|Township of Groveland, Michigan|
|— Township —|
|• Total||36.1 sq mi (93.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||150/sq mi ( 59/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626414|
There are no incorporated villages in the Township but there are two unincorporated communities within the Township:
- Austin Corners located on the southern boundary of the township with Springfield Township at Dixie Highway and Oakhill Road ( Elevation: 1106 ft./337 m.) The former post office was named for David Austin Wright, the first postmaster, who along with Horatio Wright established the office on March 2, 1848. The name was changed to Taylorsville on September 5, 1849, back to Austin on May 11, 1853, and closed on April 30, 1901.
- Groveland Corners, formerly Cottage Corners, is located at the junction of Dixie Highway and Grange Hall Road ( Elevation: 991 ft./302 m.). After 1922, Groveland Clinic was build there and the community acquired the name Groveland Corners.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.1 square miles (93 km2), of which 35.5 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), or 1.50%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,150 people, 2,106 households, and 1,714 families residing in the township. The population density was 173.1 per square mile (66.8/km²). There were 2,199 housing units at an average density of 61.9 per square mile (23.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.70% White, 0.85% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.46% from other races, and 1.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.67% of the population.
There were 2,106 households out of which 40.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.0% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.6% were non-families. 13.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 27.9% from 45 to 64, and 5.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 105.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $72,188, and the median income for a family was $83,789. Males had a median income of $61,436 versus $26,414 for females. The per capita income for the township was $28,574. About 4.7% of families and 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.5% of those under age 18 and 8.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Groveland Township, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Groveland township, Oakland County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Austin Corners & GNIS in Google Map
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Groveland Corners, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
||Grand Blanc Township,
|Holly Township||Brandon Township|
|Rose Township||Springfield Township||Independence Township|
||Grand Blanc City,
|Village of Ortonville|
|Holly Village||Brandon Gardens|
|Rose Center||Davisburg||Austin Corners|