White Lake Township, Michigan
|White Lake Township, Michigan|
|Charter Township of White Lake|
Highland Road at Porter Road facing west
Location of White Lake Township within Oakland County, Michigan
|• Total||37.2 sq mi (96.3 km2)|
|• Land||33.7 sq mi (87.2 km2)|
|• Water||3.5 sq mi (9.1 km2)|
|Elevation||958 ft (292 m)|
|• Density||810/sq mi (310/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48383, 48386|
|GNIS feature ID||1627264|
White Lake Township is a charter township of Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. Together with its two unincorporated communities, the township makes up part of the Detroit metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 30,019.
The Township has no incorporated village and two unincorporated communities:
- East White Lake was the name of a post office in the township from 1846 until 1850.
- Oxbow is located at Union Lake and Elizabeth Lake Roads ( On June 11, 1873, White Lake Centre Post Office opened here. The Office changed its name to Ox Bow on March 10, 1875 and again in 1894 to Oxbow. On June 29, 1901, the Post Office was closed. ; Elevation: 945 ft./288 m.).
- White Lake is located at Ormond and White Lake Roads ( and is mostly known for its National Weather Service office, is located within the township. White Lake had a post office initial named as Plainville when it opened on July 11, 1838. The Post Office was renamed White Lake on May 29, 1841 and closed on Jan. 31, 1910. It operated from 1962 to 1976 as a branch/station of Union Lake. ; Elevation: 1037 ft. /316 m.)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 37.2 square miles (96 km2), of which 33.7 square miles (87 km2) is land and 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2), or 9.44%, is water.
Several of the community's large parcels have been preserved as state recreation areas and county parks. Rural residential development and lake living is typical, as the township has 21 lakes within its borders.
Intersected by M-59, a majority of the township's commercial development has occurred along this major east-west corridor.
As of the census of 2000, there were 28,219 people, 10,092 households, and 7,821 families residing in the township. The population density was 838.3 per square mile (323.7/km²). There were 10,616 housing units at an average density of 315.4 per square mile (121.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.56% White, 0.78% African American, 0.49% Native American, 0.59% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.29% from other races, and 1.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.81% of the population.
There were 10,092 households out of which 39.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.0% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 17.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.7% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 32.8% from 25 to 44, 24.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $65,894, and the median income for a family was $75,842. Males had a median income of $52,276 versus $31,742 for females. The per capita income for the township was $27,916. About 1.9% of families and 3.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 and over.
The nearby Highland Recreation Area offers many recreational activities. Located within it now is Haven Hill, the Edsel Ford estate, designed by renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen between 1922 and 1935. Haven Hill is designated as a Michigan State Historical Landmark and a State Natural Preserve. Jensen's landscape elements, with the diversity of tree, plant and animal life, combine aesthetics, history and nature. The town is home to a ski resort known as Alpine Valley. This was opened in 1961 and has been open since. This resort is host to multiple lifts with a range of runs available. There are also terrain parks. White Lake is also home to Your Fit Club, a gym that offers a full line of cardio, free weights, Keiser and Hammer strength machines, group exercise classes, personal training, tanning, child watch, smoothie bar and health supplements.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: White Lake Township, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), White Lake charter township, Oakland County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 173
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Oxbow, Michigan & GNIS in Google Maps
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Oxbow Post Office (historical), Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: White Lake, Michigan & GNIS in Google Maps
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: White Lake Post Office (historical), Michigan
- "School Districts". Community. Charter Township of White Lake. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Grese, Robert E., Jens Jensen, Maker of Natural Parks and Gardens. The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992. ISBN 0-8018-4287-5. pp. 102
- "Alpine Valley".
- White Lake Township official website
- White Lake Citizens League
- White Lake Public Library
- Haven Hill, the Edsel and Eleanor Ford estate
- Crime Statistics for White Lake
- Plat of White Lake Township, circa 1872
||Rose Township||Springfield Township||Independence Township|
|Highland Township||Waterford Township|
|Milford Township||Commerce Township||West Bloomfield Township|
|Seven Harbors||Wixom City||Oxbow|