Amend at the 2011 New York Comic Con.
|Born||William J. C. Amend III
September 20, 1962
|Notable works||FoxTrot comic strip
Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year (2006)
After a short time in the animation business, Amend decided to pursue a cartooning career and signed on with Universal Press Syndicate. FoxTrot first appeared on April 10, 1988. On May 21, 1999, Amherst College awarded him an honorary degree as Doctor of Humane Letters.
On December 5, 2006, Universal Press Syndicate issued a press release stating that Amend's strip, FoxTrot, would turn into a Sunday-only strip. Amend stated that he wants to continue doing the strip, but at a less hurried pace. This news was followed by several weeks of the characters discussing a "cartoonist" semi-retiring to Sundays only, and what methods he would use to phase out the daily strips. The last daily Foxtrot cartoon was printed on December 30, 2006.
Amend made a television appearance on The Screen Savers, which aired October 20, 2003 on the former TechTV. Amend is also an avid World of Warcraft player, but refuses to reveal his character's name, although he did mention in an interview with Allakhazam (a World of Warcraft fan site) that he played on the server 'Bronzebeard' (Jason is often shown or referred to playing "World of Warquest" in the strip).
- Mark Ray. "Elves, Heroes, and Eagle Scouts". Notable Eagle Projects. National Eagle Scout Association. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "FoxTrot to Cease Dailies" press release from Universal Press Syndicate
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bill Amend.|
- FoxTrot official site, with Bill Amend's current blog
- Bill Amend's old Home Page, no updates since June 2007
- Short bio at The National Cartoonists Society (with picture)
- Bill Amend's interview at Allakhazam.com