Tsutomu Nihei ( is a Japanese 弐瓶 勉 Nihei Tsutomu, born 1971) manga artist. His cyberpunk-influenced artwork has gained a strong cult following. He has a relatively large community of fans in Germany where his manga , Blame! and NOiSE were published by Biomega Ehapa. was also published in Blame! France and Spain by Glénat, in the US by Tokyopop and in Italy by Panini Comics. In 2009 was released in Abara Brazil also by Panini Comics.
At first he studied architecture and later it is shown up in his manga works with drawing huge structures. This became one of his general theme that makes his manga unique. His works are usually in black and white. He is also an avid fan of Western video games (
, Metro 2033 , Elder Scrolls: Morrowind etc.) over Japanese or Asian video games. Halo [ ] citation needed
Serialized works [ edit ]
- Nihei's most popular work, detailing the adventures of Killy as he searches for a human with compatible genes to save the world. Originally published in Blame! . Afternoon
- A prequel to NOiSE Blame!, in which a police officer investigates the murder of a gang. Originally publishing in Afternoon.
- Published in Abara , Ultra Jump Abara follows Kudou Denji, a man able to transform into a Gauna – a creature with bone-like armor and weaponry.
- Zouichi Kanoe and the AI in his motorbike set out to find humans resistant to N5S, a virus that turns people into zombie-like "Drones". Originally appeared in Biomega . Young Magazine
- Nihei's latest series about mecha and the Gauna, published in Knights of Sidonia Afternoon. It is currently ongoing.
One-shots and additional works [ edit ]
- A short Abba one-shot about a man looking for his brother.
- A one-shot prototype for Blame Blame!, collected in NOiSE.
- A full color, 16 page one-shot published in Blame!² Kodansha's Mandala Vol.2, following up on the story of Blame! with one of Pcell's future incarnations.
- A comedy featuring the characters from Blame! Academy Blame! as students in a school. Published infrequently.
- First issue of a canceled series; collected, as thumbnails, in Dead Heads Blame! and So on.
- A two part one-shot about a mercenary hired to assassinate a leader of a new Digimortal Inquisition. Originally appeared in , published in Vol.2 of Abara. Ultra Jump
- Set in the Halo: Breaking Quarantine Halo series, the untold story of Sergeant Avery J. Johnson and his escape from the bowels of Halo and the Flood.
- A short one-shot, collected in Negative Corridor NOiSE.
- A sequel to NSE: Net Sphere Engineer Blame!, about the Net Sphere. Series ongoing, though only one chapter has been published to date.
- A short one-shot about a man coming across a girl whose arm is stuck in a hole. Sabrina
- A 5 issue limited series of the Wolverine: Snikt! X-Men character Wolverine. Originally published by Marvel Comics.
- A short one-shot about a battle between alien beings. Winged Armor Suzumega
- A short one-shot about a hostile encounter between two different species that takes an unexpected turn. Zeb-Noid
Artbooks [ edit ]
- An erotic illustrations book, featuring contributions from over twenty Bitch's Life manga artists; four of which come from Nihei.
- Published in 2003, Blame! and So On Blame! and So On contains artwork and sketches for Blame!, Noise, and Wolverine: Snikt!, amongst others; it also contains the illustrations Nihei provided for Bitch's Life and the aborted Dead Heads as thumbnails.
References [ edit ]
External links [ edit ]