Green Lantern Corps
Batman and Robin
Peter J. Tomasi is an American comic book editor and writer, best known for his work for DC Comics. As an editor, he oversaw numerous books featuring the Justice League, including books starring various members of that team, such as Batman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern and the Flash. As a writer, he has written books featuring Batman-related characters, such as Batman and Robin and The Outsiders, and Green Lantern-related books such as "Blackest Night", Brightest Day and Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors.
Tomasi became a fan of comics at a young age through the Batman books his father bought him, and through TV shows such as the Super Friends animated series and the Adam West Batman series. Batman was the first superhero who entered his consciousness, as it was the first character he dressed up as for Halloween, and the first comic book whose creators he recognized. Specifically he cites the work of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams as the first to draw him into the character, as well as Bob Haney's work on The Brave and the Bold and that of Jim Aparo.
Starting as an editor at DC in 1993, and working on such titles as Green Lantern, the Batman titles, Aquaman, Hawkman, and JSA, Tomasi was an occasional writer on various titles, including JSA, The Outsiders, Steel and The Light Brigade. In 2003, DC promoted him to Senior Editor.
In 2007, Tomasi left his fifteen-year role as an editor and transitioned to writing. He began on the limited series Black Adam: The Dark Age. In 2008, he wrote Requiem, a tie-in to Final Crisis that paid tribute to the fallen Martian Manhunter. He wrote the Nightwing title for 14 issues until its cancellation in April 2009 due to events in the "Battle for the Cowl" storyline. In 2011, Tomasi took over as writer on Batman and Robin with issue #20 from Paul Cornell, writing the three part "Tree of Blood" storyline that ran until issue #22.
From 2010 to 2011, Tomasi co-wrote the "Blackest Night" follow-up maxiseries, Brightest Day, with Geoff Johns. During that same period, he was the regular writer on the monthly Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors and Outsiders, which ended in 2011 as part of DC's The New 52 line-wide relaunch. As part of that relaunch, Tomasi was appointed writer on the relaunched volumes of Batman and Robin and Green Lantern Corps which were released in September of 2011.
Comics writing work includes:
- Steel #28, 33 (with Andrew Robinson and Jim Aparo, DC Comics, July, December 1996)
- The Light Brigade (with art by Peter Snejbjerg, 4-issue mini-series, 2004, tpb, 200 pages, January 2006, ISBN 1-4012-0795-2)
- The Outsiders (vol. 3) #26-27, with Will Conrad, DC Comics, September–October, 2005)
- JSA: Classified #8-9 (with pencils by Don Kramer and inks by Keith Champagne, DC Comics, 2006, tpb, Honor Among Thieves, 128 pages, January 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1218-2)
- Black Adam: The Dark Age (with art by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy, 6-issue mini-series, DC Comics, 2007, tpb, 144 pages, June 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1786-9)
- Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2 #18-20, 23-47 (with art by Patrick Gleason, DC Comics, January 2008-May 2010)
- Green Lantern Corps Vol. 3 #1-20
- Nightwing #140-153 (with pencils by Rags Morales and Don Kramer and inks by Michael Bair, DC Comics, March 2008-April 2009, tpb, Freefall, 168 pages, 168 pages, ISBN 1-4012-1965-9)
- "Final Crisis: Requiem" (with art by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy, one-shot, DC Comics, 2008)
- The Mighty (DC Comics) (with co-author Keith Champagne and art by Peter Snejbjerg, 12-issue limited series, DC Comics)
- The Outsiders (vol. 4) #15-25 (with art by Adam Kubert, DC Comics, 2009-2010)
- Blackest Night: Batman (with art by Ardian Syaf & John Dell, 3 issue mini-series, DC Comics, 2009)
- The Flash Annual #9 (with pencils by J.H. Williams III and inks by Miek Gray, DC Comics, 1996)
- Batman and Robin Vol. 2 #1-present, 23.1, Annual #1
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #1-13
- Detective Comics Vol 2 23.3
- Renaud, Jeffrey. "THE BAT SIGNAL: Peter J. Tomasi". Comic Book Resources. February 9, 2011
- Weiland, Jonah. "Peter Tomasi promoted to Senior Editor at DC". Comic Book Resources. July 2, 2003
- Arrant, Chris. "More Exclusive Contract Signings, Peter Tomasi Stays at DC". ComicVine. January 15, 2010
- Brady, Matt. "Remembering the Martian: Tomasi on FC: Requiem". Newsarama. July 9, 2008
- "Baltimore Comic-Con 07: Peter Tomasi Talks Nightwing". Newsarama. September 9, 2007
- Renaud, Jeffrey. "Strange How the Night Moves: Tomasi talks 'Nightwing'". Comic Book Resources. October 16, 2007
- Brady, Matt. "Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey to End in February". Newsarama. November 4, 2008
- Rogers, Vaneta. "Tomasi and Champagne Introduce 'The Mighty'". Newsarama. November 17, 2008
- "First Look: The Mighty #1". Newsarama. November 20, 2008
- Brady, Matt. Rocking the Corps: Peter Tomasi Talks Green Lantern Corps, Newsarama. January 14, 2009
- Siegel, Lucas (January 11, 2010). "UPDATE 4: DC's BRIGHTEST DAY w/ David Finch!". Newsarama. Retrieved January 11, 2010.
- Brady, Matt. Life "Without Batman: Peter Tomasi Talks The Outsiders". Newsarama. December 16, 2008
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Tomasi.|
- Peter Tomasi at the Internet Movie Database
- Peter Tomasi at the Comic Book DB
- Peter Tomasi at the Big Comic Book DataBase
|Batman Group Editor
|The Outsiders writer