|• Total||94 km2 (36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||75 m (246 ft)|
|• Density||164.6/km2 (426/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Bolhrad (Ukrainian: Болград Bolhrad; Bulgarian and Russian: Болград Bolgrad; Romanian: Bolgrad), sometimes known as Bolgrad, is a small city in Odessa Oblast (province) of southwestern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of Bolhrad Raion (district).
Bolhrad's population was estimated at 15,479 in 2011.
Bolhrad was founded in 1821 by Bulgarian settlers under the direction of General Ivan Inzov who is "revered" by Bolhrad residents as the "Founder of Our City." Bolhrad formed part of Moldavia from 1856 to 1859, Romania from 1859 to 1878, 1918 to 1940, and from 1941 to 1944 before being included in the territory of the Ukrainian SSR and later independent Ukraine.
The surrounding Bolhradsky district is predominantly populated by ethnic Bulgarians (a majority of 61%). Bolhrad itself is inhabited by a large number of Bessarabian Bulgarians and is considered by locals to be the unofficial capital of the Bessarabian historic district of Budjak.
- Dimitar Grekov (1847–1901), Bulgarian politician
- Danail Nikolaev (1852–1942), Bulgarian general
- Georgi Todorov (1858–1934), Bulgarian general
- Mykola Shmatko (b. 1943), contemporary Ukrainian sculptor, professor and painter (not a native, but lived in Bolhrad)
- Petro Poroshenko (b. 1965), current President of Ukraine, entrepreneur, business oligarch
- Куемжи, Мария, Болградский Историко-Этнографический Музей (Bolhrad, Odes'ka Oblast, Ukraine; Фонд им. И.Н. Инзова, 2007)
- Kaba, John (1919). Politico-economic Review of Basarabia. United States: American Relief Administration. p. 27.
- Манолова, Надя; Красимира Табакова (2008). "150 години Болградска гимназия" (in Bulgarian). Държавна агенция за българите в чужбина. Retrieved 2009-10-19.[dead link]
- "Болградска гимназия „Свети свети Кирил и Методий“". Българска енциклопедия А-Я (in Bulgarian). БАН, Труд, Сирма. 2002. ISBN 954-8104-08-3. OCLC 163361648.
|This article about a location in Odessa Oblast is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|