Burmese (1962–1990), a black RCMP Police Service Horse (PSH) mare, was given to Queen Elizabeth II by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and ridden by the Queen for Trooping the Colour for eighteen consecutive years from 1969 to 1986.
Burmese was born at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Remount Ranch at Fort Walsh, Saskatchewan. She was trained in Ottawa and in 1969 was presented to the Queen when members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police came to the UK to perform in the Royal Windsor Horse Show.
The Queen was mounted on Burmese when six blank shots were fired during the 1981 birthday parade, on the way to Trooping the Colour. Although the horse was startled, the Queen was able to bring her under control.
Burmese's last public appearance was at Trooping the Colour in 1986, after which she retired. She was not replaced, as the Queen decided to ride in a phaeton (carriage) and review the troops from a dais, rather than train a new charger.
Burmese was put out to pasture at Windsor Castle's Park, where she died in 1990. The Queen unveiled a bronze statue in front of the Saskatchewan Legislative Building in Regina, Canada, in 2005, where she is depicted atop Burmese.
PSH Burmese was followed by PSH Centennial, presented to The Queen in 1973 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the RCMP; and PSH Saint James, in 1998, to mark the RCMP’s 125th anniversary. In 2002, The Queen presented the RCMP with PSH Golden Jubilee in honour of her Golden Jubilee year.
Both Burmese and Centennial (note spelling) were trained for the Queen by RCMP Staff Sergeant Fred Rasmussen.
Naming of Burmese
- "My Life with Horses" by RCMP Staff Sergeant Fred Rasmussen
- Art Barnes. "From the S&S archives:Reagan, queen saddle up for a ride at Windsor Castle - News". Stripes. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "RCMP Horse Presentation to Her Majesty The Queen". rcmp-grc.gc.ca. 2009-05-03. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "BBC ON THIS DAY | 13 | 1981: Queen shot at by youth". BBC News. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Army", Trooping the Colour (The Queen's Birthday Parade), UK: MoD.
- "Queen defies rain on Canada visit". BBC News. 2005-05-19. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Burmese (horse).|