Cayman Islands at the 2012 Summer Olympics
|Cayman Islands at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London|
|Competitors||5 in 2 sports|
|Flag bearer||Brett Fraser (opening)
Ronald Forbes (closing)
|Olympic history (summary)|
Cayman Islands competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom from 27 July to 12 August 2012. This was the nation's ninth appearance at the Olympics, except the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow due to the United States-led boycott.
Five athletes from the Cayman Islands were selected to the team, participating only in athletics and swimming. Sprinter Kemar Hyman was the only athlete to compete at his first Olympics. Veteran sprinter Cydonie Mothersill, on the other hand, became the only female and the oldest athlete of the team, competing at her fifth Olympics. Swimmer Brett Fraser, and his brother Shaune advanced past the first round in the men's 100 m freestyle for the first time, since its swimming team began competing in 2004. Fraser became the nation's first swimmer to carry the flag at the opening ceremony. Cayman Islands, however, has yet to win its first Olympic medal.
Athletes from the Cayman Islands have so far achieved qualifying standards in the following athletics events (up to a maximum of 3 athletes in each event at the 'A' Standard, and 1 at the 'B' Standard):
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
|Ronald Forbes||110 m hurdles||14.21||8||N/A||Did not advance|
|Kemar Hyman||100 m||BYE||10.16||4 q||DNS||Did not advance|
|Cydonie Mothersill||200 m||DNS||Did not advance|
|Brett Fraser||50 m freestyle||22.91||32||Did not advance|
|100 m freestyle||48.54||6 Q||48.92||15||Did not advance|
|200 m freestyle||1:47.74||14 Q||1:47.01||12||Did not advance|
|Shaune Fraser||100 m freestyle||48.99||16 Q||49.07||16||Did not advance|
|200 m freestyle||1:48.53||20||Did not advance|
- Staff (25 July 2012). "Frasers in a flash". Cayman News Service. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – London 2012 ENTRY STANDARDS, IAAF, retrieved 4 June 2011