Current Chelsea Lately intertitle
|Written by||Chelsea Handler
|Presented by||Chelsea Handler
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||1,081 (as of April 3, 2013)|
|Executive producer(s)||Chelsea Handler
|Location(s)||Universal Studios Stage One, Universal City, California|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||22–24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Borderline Amazing Productions|
|Picture format||480i (NTSC)
1080i upconverted (HDTV) (before 2012-10-15)
1080i native (HDTV) (after move to new set, 2012-10-15 onwards)
|Original run||July 16, 2007– present|
|Related shows||The Chelsea Handler Show
Chelsea Lately is an American late night comedy talk show hosted by comedian Chelsea Handler on E!. The show debuted on July 16, 2007, and is produced by Handler's production company, Borderline Amazing Productions. It is taped in Los Angeles, California. In American markets, the show airs at 11:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific time but is recorded at 3:30 p.m. PT, usually the same day. Chelsea Lately carries a TV-14 rating due to explicit language, strong sexual situations and suggestive references. 
On November 15, 2011, it was announced that the show's run has been extended through 2014.
The series has one spin-off, After Lately, which premiered in early 2011.
Handler was approached to host her own late night talk show while she was going out with the head of Comcast (E!’s parent company), but stated she was skeptical of the idea of her own show. Chelsea Lately premiered on July 17, 2007 at 11:30 p.m.
Chelsea Lately has been renewed through 2014.
On October 15, 2012, Chelsea Lately relocated from the Westside Media Center Studios in West Los Angeles, a facility formerly used by E! sister network G4 to record Attack of the Show and whose set was adapted to Chelsea Lately with only background changes and the addition of audience seating, to a completely new set in Stage 1 at Universal Studios Hollywood, which had been used by The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien during its short seven-month run. When the series moved to a new studio, the opening theme was changed to a new version composed by Pharrell.
Episode format 
Chelsea Lately is presented in a half-hour format, and is broadcast Monday through Friday at 11:00 p.m ET/PT, although the Friday show is frequently a re-run. Chelsea Lately opens cold and Handler performs a short stand-up monologue. The routine is usually focused on a topic from pop culture or current events, and may include a video clip or other visual aid. Over the opening credits, the announcer presents the topics of discussion, as well as the show's guest; then makes a comment about something totally irrelevant.
After the open, Handler will introduce the round table panel of three guests consisting of some combination of comedians, actors, or staff members. She lastly introduces the show regular, her assistant Chuy Bravo (born Jesus Melgoza) who sits in his own chair near the edge of the studio's stage. Handler then discusses the goings on in pop culture with the round table members, occasionally including Chuy whose comments are always one-liner jokes. After the round table ends, if there is a sketch in the episode, it plays next. Then, after returning from a commercial break, Handler interviews a celebrity guest (or guests) for about six minutes each show. The show then closes with either another very short monologue (essentially Handler delivering a one-liner) or with a small segment like "Fat Baby" with pictures shown for comedic value. Handler and her sidekick Chuy then usually interact with the audience as the closing credits and music plays.
Handler's "assistant", Chuy Bravo, along with sitting across from the round table, often participates alongside Handler in video segments for the show.
- Round table regulars
- Bill Bellamy
- Matt Braunger
- Kurt Braunohler
- John Caparulo
- Liz Carey
- Margaret Cho
- Sarah Colonna
- Lavell Crawford
- Dov Davidoff
- James Davis
- Fortune Feimster
- Greg Fitzsimmons
- Chris Franjola
- Ben Gleib
- Ingrid Haas
- Chris Hardwick
- Moshe Kasher
- Kerri Kenney-Silver
- Jen Kirkman
- Jo Koy
- Lauren Lapkus
- Annie Lederman
- Bobby Lee
- Natasha Leggero
- Dan Levy
- Loni Love
- Mo Mandel
- Joe Matarese
- Ross Mathews
- Dan Maurio
- Julian McCullough
- Heather McDonald
- Rove McManus
- T. J. Miller
- Arden Myrin
- Greg Proops
- Mary Lynn Rajskub
- April Richardson
- Nico Santos
- Brody Stevens
- Ryan Stout
- Gary Valentine
- Jeff Wild
- Josh Wolf
- Brad Wollack
- Ali Wong
- Michael Yo
As of 2011[update], Chelsea Lately averaged 960,000 viewers per episode and attracts more women aged 18 to 34 than Jimmy Kimmel Live!, The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and Last Call with Carson Daly.
As of October 2011[update], the highest-rated episode of Chelsea Lately garnered 1.8 million viewers: this was the October 10, 2011 episode hosted by Ross Mathews featuring Kendra and Hank Baskett, following the Kardashian wedding special.
Guest hosts 
Due to sickness, injury or holidays, Handler has been unable to host some episodes, calling for guest hosts to stand in. In the past, frequent "round table" panelists Ross Mathews, Josh Wolf and Fortune Feimster have guest-hosted, with Mathews receiving very positive reviews.
Since July 2012, there have been several celebrity guest hosts during various episodes:
- Comedian/actor Wanda Sykes guest-hosted on July 30, 2012, while Handler was in London.
- Comedic actor Kevin Hart guest-hosted on July 31, 2012 and August 1, while Handler was in London.
- Actor/comedian Dax Shepard guest-hosted on August 2, 2012, while Handler was in London.
- Australian comedic actor Rebel Wilson guest-hosted on September 7th. Wilson's time as guest host was not due to Handler's unavailability to shoot the episode, but rather at Wilson's request to host. Handler reversed her role and was the celebrity guest interviewed by Wilson on this episode.
- As part of the show's "Celebrity Guest Host Week", the first week of December 2012 had episodes guest-hosted by television personality Amanda De Cadenet, actress/singer Kristin Chenoweth, comedic actress Casey Wilson, and musician Dave Grohl.
- In February 2013, Grohl returned to host for a week that included an interview with Elton John.
- The three Kardashian sisters, Kourtney, Kim and Khloé, and their mother Kris Jenner guest hosted on April 8, 2013. This was a planned event, though it's unclear if it was arranged by Handler and the Kardashians or by the mother network where they all work.
Specials and spin-offs 
After Lately 
After Lately is a semi-scripted parody of a reality show (in the vein of shows such as The Larry Sanders Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm) in which the various cast members, writers, crew, and even 'hangers-on' of Chelsea Lately are shown bickering and arguing over mostly trivial and petty matters, and competing for show air time and personal approval from Chelsea. Handler herself usually appears in very few scenes of the program and is always portrayed as having open and utter disdain for everyone beneath her. The series premiered on March 6, 2011 and consisted of eight episodes. After Lately was renewed for a second season on May 5, 2011 and for a third season on April 27, 2012.
Comedians of Chelsea Lately 
A special titled Comedians of Chelsea Lately premiered on August 14, 2009 and lasted four weeks. The special consisted of Chelsea Lately round-table regulars such as Loni Love, Jo Koy and among others performing their comedy standup routines. The standup routines lasted for about 6 to 9 minutes in length. The first airing of the special had round-table regulars Guy Branum, Sarah Colonna and Chris Franjola performing.
Chelsea Lately Bloopers 
A Chelsea Lately special entitled Chelsea Lately Bloopers aired on Tuesday December 22, 2009. It featured new bloopers, deleted scenes and outtakes from the round table and guest interviews.
During the June 20, 2011 episode, while discussing Amy Winehouse's poorly received performance at a concert in Belgrade, Handler read a statement by Serbian Defense Minister Dragan Šutanovac calling Winehouse's performance a "shame and a disappointment". Handler then stated, "Well, so is your country". The comment has since drawn criticism, with requests for Handler to apologize for the comment. A Facebook page and change.org petition have also been created calling for a boycott of Handler and E! until a public apology is given. Handler has yet to officially comment on the matter, but has on a number of occasions acknowledged on the show that she is no longer well received there.
On June 25, 2011, Serbian Ambassador to United States, Vladimir Petrović, sent a letter to Bonnie Hammer, president of NBCUniversal Cable (which oversees the E! network), describing Handler's act as "inappropriate, distasteful, and just plain bad humor".
International broadcasts 
In contrast to the rest of Europe, the UK version of E! shows Chelsea Lately on a daily basis. The E! feed to the UK also includes same day productions The Soup and the full 30 minute version E! News which are not shown elsewhere in Europe.
Chelsea Lately is also broadcast daily on the E! Network in Australia, and New Zealand. Chelsea Lately was broadcast in Canada on E! Entertainment System through September 2009 and beginning in November 2010, on CTVglobemedia's Star! Network.
|Arab world||E!||Chelsea Lately|
|Australia||E! Australia||Chelsea Lately|
|Brazil||E! Brazil||Chelsea Lately|
|Canada||E! Canada||Chelsea Lately|
|Chile||E! Latino||Chelsea Lately|
|Colombia||E! Latino||Chelsea Lately|
|Ecuador||E! Latino||Chelsea Lately|
|Europe||E! Europe||Chelsea Lately|
|Ireland||E! Ireland||Chelsea Lately|
|Israel||E! Israel||Chelsea Lately|
|Mexico||E! Latino||Chelsea Lately|
|New Zealand||E! New Zealand||Chelsea Lately|
|Peru||E! Latino||Chelsea Lately|
|Poland||E! Poland||Chelsea Nocną Porą|
|Serbia||E! Serbia||Chelsea Lately|
|South Africa||E! South Africa||Chelsea Lately|
|United Kingdom||E! United Kingdom||Chelsea Lately|
|United States/Puerto Rico||E!||Chelsea Lately|
|2009||Winner||Teen Choice Award||Choice Late-Night Talk Show|
|2010||Nominated||People's Choice Awards||TV Talk Show|
See also 
- "Chelsea Lately Taping Tickets". On Camera Audiences. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- Pazmino, Gloria (2009-01-28). "‘Chelsea Lately’ Gets New 11:00 P.M. Slot". broadcastingcable.com. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- Kugel, Allison (2008-02-20). "Chelsea Handler Pulls No Punches with PR.com". pr.com. Retrieved 10 June 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Chelsea Handler Signs Big New E! Deal". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Goldman, Andrew (September 16, 2011). "There Is No Escaping Whitney Cummings". The New York Times.
- Karpel, Ari (2008-07-11). "Too hot to Handler". ew.com.
- "E!'s Hit Late-Night Series 'Chelsea Lately' Relocates to the Historic Stage 1 at Universal Studios Beginning October 15". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- [dead link]
- http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/06/30/chelsea-lately-conan-ratings/ Missing or empty
- Hibberd, James (2009-03-23). "Chelsea Handler inks new deal at Comcast". hollywoodreporter.com.
- "E! Scores Most-Watched Event Ever With “Kim’s Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event” Drawing 10.5 Million Total Viewers Across Two-Part Event - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Gunjan. "Comedian". Fortune Feimster. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Chelsea Lately Episodes - Chelsea Lately Season 6 2012 Episode Guides - Watch Chelsea Lately Episodes from E!". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Shows A-Z | TheFutonCritic.com - The Web's Best Television Resource". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "E! Renews 'After Lately' For Second Season". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "'After Lately' Renewed For Season 3 By E!". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Amter, Charlie (2001-06-23). "Chelsea Handler in Hot Water With Serbians Over Remarks". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Ambassador Petrovic Letter to Chelsea Lately Show". usaserbs.net. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- Chelsea Lately Official Website
- Chelsea Lately at the Internet Movie Database
- Chelsea Lately at TV.com