|Founded||1987 (inactive 1997–2009)|
|Number of teams||2|
|Current champions||Borussia Dortmund|
|Most successful club(s)||Bayern Munich
History and rules
In 1997, this was superseded by a league cup called DFB-Ligapokal. In 2008, although not officially sanctioned by the DFB, the match returned as the T-Home Supercup, featuring Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich and fellow German Cup finalists Borussia Dortmund. The match was a one year replacement for the DFB-Ligapokal, which was cancelled for one season, due to schedule crowding caused by Euro 2008. The Supercup was reinstated from the 2010–11 season at the annual general meeting of the German Football League on 10 November 2009. The Supercup from then on was called the DFL-Supercup because it is now run by the Deutsche Fußball Liga, having previously been called the DFB-Supercup because it was run by the Deutscher Fußball-Bund (English: German Football Association).
In contrast to the DFB-Supercup, if one team wins the double—league and cup—the winner plays the runner-up of the Bundesliga. No extra time is played in the case of a draw after 90 minutes, the match is then decided by a penalty shootout.
Below is a list of the Super Cup winners.
^A no extra time played
Winners by team
|Team||Winners||Runners-Up||Years Won||Years Lost|
|Bayern Munich||5||4||1982, 1987, 1990, 2010, 2012||1989, 1994, 2008, 2013|
|Borussia Dortmund||5||2||1989, 1995, 1996, 2008, 2013||2011, 2012|
|Werder Bremen||4||1||1988, 1993, 1994, 2009||1991|
|Schalke 04||1||2||2011||1940, 2010|
|Hamburg||0||3||–||1977, 1982, 1987|
- "Super Cup starts again". FIFA. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- "(West) Germany – List of Super/League Cup Finals". RSSSF. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Dortmund beat Bayern to retain Super Cup". ESPN. 23 July 2008. Retrieved 23 July 2008.
- "Inoffizieller Supercup zwischen Wolfsburg und Bremen". 11 Freunde. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- Bayern won the league and the cup. Schalke was chosen as the opponent as they were runners-up in the league.
- Dortmund won the league and the cup. Bayern was chosen as the opponent as they were runners-up in the league and in the cup.
- Bayern won the league and the cup. Dortmund was chosen as the opponent as they were runners-up in the league.