Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park
|Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park|
|Location||Del Norte County, California, USA|
|Nearest city||Crescent City, California|
|Area||31,261 acres (12,651 ha)|
|Governing body||California Department of Parks and Recreation, National Park Service|
Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park is a state park of California, USA, and a component of the Redwood National and State Parks. The property is about half old-growth forest of coast redwoods and includes 8 miles (13 km) of wild Pacific coastline. The park was significantly expanded in 2002 with the 25,000-acre (10,000 ha) Mill Creek Addition. Originally established in 1925, the park is now 31,261 acres (12,651 ha).
Proposals for closure
A proposal to close a portion of this park placed it on the list of 48 California state parks proposed for closure in January 2008 by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger as part of a deficit reduction program. The decision was rescinded following public outcry. However in May 2011 the park was one of 70 state parks threatened with closure. In October 2011 the National Park Service agreed to provisionally take over management of Del Norte Coast Redwoods for one year.
- "Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP". California Department of Parks and Recreation. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- "Mill Creek Addition Final General Plan Amendment/Environmental Impact Report" (PDF). California State Parks. 2010. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- "California State Park System Statistical Report: Fiscal Year 2009/10" (PDF). California State Parks. p. 26. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- CBS5.com: List Of Calif. Parks To Close In Budget Proposal
- "State Parks Announces Closures" (PDF) (Press release). California State Parks. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "National Park Service to Help Keep Portions of Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park Open Through September 2012" (PDF) (Press release). California State Parks. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park.|