University of California Natural Reserve System
The University of California Natural Reserve System—UCNRS is a network of protected areas throughout California. The UCNRS is part of the University of California Office of Research and Graduate Studies. 
The UCNRS consists of 37 wildland sites that include 750,000-plus acres, making it the largest university-administered reserve system in the world. Most major California ecosystems are represented, from coastal tide pools to Sierra Nevada forests, and deserts to chaparral and oak woodlands. 
The reserves also serve as a gateway to more than a million acres of public lands. Founded in 1965 to provide undisturbed environments for research, education, and public service, the Natural Reserve System contributes to the understanding and wise stewardship of the earth.
List of reserves 
- "University of California Natural Reserve System—UCNRS". The Regents of the University of California. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- Locator map of University of California Natural Reserve System—UCNRS reserves
- Angelo Coast Range Reserve
- Año Nuevo Island Reserve
- Blue Oak Ranch Reserve
- Bodega Marine Reserve
- Box Springs Reserve
- Philip L. Boyd Deep Canyon Desert Research Center
- Ryan, R. Mark; Leatherman, Robert L. (photos, with others); Snedeoor, Lonna (drawings) (1968). Mammals of Deep Canyon, Colorado Desert, California. Palm Springs, CA: Palm Springs Desert Museum. p. 137. LCCN 68057291. OCLC 452065. "Research reported in this volume was conducted by the University of California, Riverside, through its International Dry Lands Research Institute and Philip L. Boyd Desert Research Center, Deep Canyon Desert Research Area. Bibliography: p. 121-124"
- Wheeler, George Carlos; Wheeler, Jeanette (1973). Ants of Deep Canyon. Palm Desert, CA: Philip L. Boyd Deep Canyon Desert Research Center, University of California, Riverside. p. 162. LCCN 73088149. OCLC 800855.
- Ting, Irwin P.; Jennings, Bill (1976). Deep Canyon, a Desert Wilderness for Science. Palm Desert, CA: Philip L. Boyd Deep Canyon Desert Research Center, University of California, Riverside. p. 177. LCCN 76012717. OCLC 2524194. "with a special photographic section, Ansel Adams' Deep Canyon"
- Zabriskie, Jan G.; Lewis, Carol (drawings) (1979). Plants of Deep Canyon and the Central Coachella Valley, California. Riverside, CA: Philip L. Boyd Deep Canyon Desert Research Center, University of California. p. 175. LCCN 79063644. OCLC 6614967.
- Burns Piñon Ridge Reserve
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve
- Chickering American River Reserve
- Coal Oil Point Natural Reserve
- Dawson Los Monos Canyon Reserve
- Elliott Chaparral Reserve
- Emerson Oaks Reserve
- Fort Ord Natural Reserve
- Hastings Natural History Reservation
- James San Jacinto Mountains Reserve
- Jenny Pygmy Forest Reserve
- Jepson Prairie Reserve
- Kendall-Frost Mission Bay Marsh Reserve
- Kenneth S. Norris Rancho Marino Reserve
- Landels-Hill Big Creek Reserve
- McLaughlin Natural Reserve
- Motte Rimrock Reserve
- Quail Ridge Reserve
- Sagehen Creek Field Station
- San Joaquin Freshwater Marsh Reserve
- Santa Cruz Island Reserve
- Scripps Coastal Reserve
- Sedgwick Reserve
- Yosemite Field Station
- Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve
- Steele Burnand Anza-Borrego Desert Research Center
- Stunt Ranch Santa Monica Mountains Reserve
- Sweeney Granite Mountains Desert Research Center
- Valentine Eastern Sierra Reserve
- Younger Lagoon Reserve
- Harrison, S., Waddell, S. M. and Boucher, V. L. 2004. UC Davis Natural Reserve System-Four-Year Report (1999-2003) . UC Davis Natural Reserve System.
- Herring, Margaret. 2000. Studying Nature in Nature: The History of the University of California Natural Reserve System . Reprinted from Chronicle of the University of California, No. 3 (Spring 2000).
- University of California Office of the President (2007-07-30). "Natural Reserve System". Retrieved 2007-09-08.
- Official UC Natural Reserve System—UCNRS website
- UC Natural Reserve System Information Management
- The UCNRS is part of the UC Office of Research and Graduate Studies
- UC Natural Reserves Photos