|Born||March 22, 1960|
|Institutions||Tata Institute of Fundamental Research,
Harish-Chandra Research Institute
|Alma mater||Harvard University,
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
|Doctoral advisor||Benedict Gross|
|Known for||Automorphic representations, Number theory|
|Notable awards||S. S. Bhatnagar Prize (2002)|
Dipendra Prasad (born 1960) is an Indian mathematician. He is a professor of mathematics at the School of mathematics, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai for the past decade. Earlier, he was at the Harish-Chandra Research Institute in Allahabad for about a decade. He is a renowned number theorist known for his work in the areas of automorphic representations. He is well known for "Gross-Prasad Conjectures" which have attracted a considerable interest among Number Theorists.
In recognition of his contributions, the Government of India awarded him the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in mathematical sciences for 2002. Apart from that he holds JC Bose fellowship awarded by the Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi. He is also a recipient of the Swarna Jayanti Fellowship in 1999.
Prasad obtained his Bachelor's degree from the St. Xavier's College, Mumbai in 1978 before moving to the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur for a Masters which he completed in 1980. He then completed his PHD under the supervision of Benedict Gross at Harvard, in 1989. Two of his siblings, Gopal Prasad and Shrawan Kumar, are also in mathematics.
- Prasad, Dipendra (1990). "Trilinear forms for representations of and local -factors". Compositio Mathematica 75: 1–46.
- B. H. Gross, D. Prasad (1991). "Test vectors for linear forms". Math. Ann. 291: 343–355. doi:10.1007/bf01445212.
- B. H. Gross, D. Prasad (1992). "On the decomposition of a representation of when restricted to ". Canad. J. Math. 44: 974–1002. doi:10.4153/cjm-1992-060-8.
- Prasad, Dipendra (2007). "Relating invariant linear form and local epsilon factors via global methods, with an appendix by H. Saito". Duke Mathematical Journal 138 (2): 233–261. doi:10.1215/s0012-7094-07-13823-7.
- D. Prasad, Ramin Takloo-Bighash (2011). "Bessel models for ". Crelle's Journal 655: 189–243.
- D. Prasad, Dinakar Ramakrishnan (2012). "On the self-dual representations of division algebras over local fields". American Journal of Mathematics 134 (3): 749–772. doi:10.1353/ajm.2012.0017.
- Gan, W. T., B. H. Gross, D. Prasad (2012). "Sur les conjectures de Gross et Prasad. I. (French) [On the conjectures of Gross and Prasad. I]". Astérisque. No. 346: 318.
Awards and honours
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy (2003).
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, 2002.
- Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences, India (1997).
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences (1995).
- "Indian Fellow: Professor Dipendra Prasad". Indian National Science Academy. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Fellows – The National Academy of Sciences, India". NASI. Retrieved January 11, 2013.