Jayanta Kumar Ghosh
|Jayanta Kumar Ghosh|
Jayanta Kumar Ghosh
May 23, 1937 |
|Institutions||Indian Statistical Institute
|Alma mater||University of Calcutta|
Jayanta Kumar Ghosh or Jaẏanta Kumāra Ghosha (Bengali: জয়ন্ত কুমার ঘোষ, born May 23, 1937) is an Indian statistician, currently emeritus professor at Indian Statistical Institute and a professor of statistics at Purdue University.
He obtained a B.S. from Presidency College, then affiliated with the University of Calcutta, and subsequently a M.A. and a Ph.D. from the University of Calcutta. He started his research career in the early 1960s, studying sequential analysis as a graduate student in the department of statistics at the University of Calcutta.
His research contributions fall within the fields of:
- Bayesian inference
- Modeling and model selection
- High dimensional data analysis
- Nonparametric regression and density estimation
- Survival analysis
- Statistical genetics
- Elected Member of the International Statistical Institute
- Advisory Editor, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy
- Life Member and Director of the Calcutta Statistical Association
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Japanese Society for Promotion of Sciences Fellowship, 1978
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, 1981
- President, Statistics Section of the Indian Science Congress Association, 1991
- President, International Statistical Institute, 1993
- Mahalanobis Gold Medal of Indian Science Congress Association, 1998
- P.V. Sukhatme Prize for Statistics, 2000
- Mahalanobis Memorial Lecture, State Science and Technology Congress, W. Bengal, 2003
- D.Sc. (h.c.), B.C. Roy Agricultural University, W. Bengal, India, 2006
- Padma Shree (2014) by the Government of India
He has published over 50 research papers. He has also published four books, which are:
- Invariance in Testing and Estimation (Lecture Notes), 1967, published by Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta.
- Higher Order Asymptotics (based on CBMS-NSF lecture), published jointly by Institute of Mathematical Statistics and American Statistical Association, 1994.
- (with R.V. Ramamoorthi) Bayesian Nonparametrics (Springer 2003).
- (with Mohan Delampady and Tapas Samanta) An Introduction to Bayesian Analysis - Theory and Methods, Springer 2006.
- Bertrand Clarke,, Subhashis Ghosal. "J. K. Ghosh’s contribution to statistics". projecteuclid.org.
- Lahiri, S. N (1992). "On the Bahadur—Ghosh—Kiefer representation of sample quantiles". Statistics & probability letters 15 (2): 163–168.
- Casella, George. "The Ghosh-Pratt Identity." (1996).
- Indian Statistical Institute Statistics Department homepage
- Dr. Ghosh's profile at Purdue University