T. N. Venkataramana
|T. N. Venkataramana|
|Fields||Algebraic groups, automorphic forms in mathematics|
|Institutions||Tata Institute of Fundamental Research|
|Alma mater||Bombay University|
|Notable awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology|
He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in 2001, the highest science award in India, in the mathematical sciences category. Arithmeticity of lattices in higher-rank real Lie groups was one of the most important achievements that led to G A Margulis being awarded the Fields medal in 1979. Venkataramana's first major work was the extension of Margulis's work to the case of groups in positive characteristics. 
- Young Scientist Award (1990)
- Birla Award (2000)
- ICTP Prize (2000)
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, 2004
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012
- "Indian Fellow: Professor T N Venkitaramana". Indian National Science Academy. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "ICTP Prize Winners 2000". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-09-01.
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|