Poynter on stage in Belfast in 2008
|Birth name||Dougie Lee Poynter|
30 November 1987 |
Corringham, Essex, England
|Genres||Pop rock, pop punk|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, vocals, guitar|
|Associated acts||McFly, McBusted|
Dougie Lee Poynter (born 30 November 1987) is an English singer, musician, songwriter and the bassist and youngest member of pop rock band McFly. He also won the eleventh series of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! in 2011, beating The Only Way Is Essex personality Mark Wright. His band McFly has now joined with Busted to form a new Band 'McBusted'
Early and personal life
Poynter dated Frankie Sandford of The Saturdays, until the pair briefly split up in March 2010. They reunited in April 2010, but split up again in November of the same year. Poynter has stated that they will not be getting back together for the third time. Poynter spent some time in rehab due to depression, alcohol and substance abuse. In March 2014, it was confirmed that he is in a relationship with Ellie Goulding.
Poynter is the bassist of pop rock band McFly, also providing backing, and on occasion, lead vocals. He has co-writer credits on many of McFly's tracks, including the lead writer credit on their 2007 number-one single "Transylvania". Poynter has called "Transylvania" his favourite song that he has written. Poynter also wrote an unrecorded track called "Silence Is a Scary Sound", which features as a live recording on their third studio album Motion in the Ocean. The youngest member of the band, Poynter was also the last to join when Danny Jones and Tom Fletcher, who already had been signed to a record deal with Island Records, held auditions for a bassist and drummer, the latter of which was secured by Harry Judd. Poynter was only 15 when he joined the band.
Before joining McFly, Poynter was in a band named Ataiz. In 2010, along with three other people, including Motion in the Ocean and Radio:ACTIVE producer Jason Perry, Poynter started a clothing line called Zukie, named after his pet lizard. Poynter owns 30 per cent of the business. In early 2011, it was confirmed that Poynter had started his own clothing range, by the name of 'Saint Kidd', a pirate-based company inspired by William Kidd. Poynter and Fletcher have published two books, the first one being The Dinosaur That Pooped Christmas, about a boy who gets a pet dinosaur for Christmas, was released in October 2012. The sequel, The Dinosaur That Pooped a Planet, was released on 29 August 2013.
- "GRO Birth Registration Index". Ancestry.co.uk. Retrieved 25 May 2007.
- "Frankie Sandford saves her pop career with Saturdays". Metro. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "5 minutes with a… sex god: Dougie McFly". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Wilson, Benji (30 January 2010). "The Saturdays: Pop music's new high-flyers". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "McFly's Dougie: I follow Frankie". Metro (DMG Media). 18 September 2009. Retrieved 24 September 2009.
- "The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford comes over all Lily Allen in suspender tights and leather hotpants for Christmas party". Daily Mail. 13 December 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "McFly's Dougie confirms split". Digitalspy.
- "Frankie Sandford: Dougie and I are living together again". Now Magazine.
- "Frankie Sandford dumps Dougie Poynter for the second time in a year, before partying at Whisky Mist with a male model". Daily Mail. 23 November 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Poynter: 'Sandford death threats are out of control'". OK!. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "McFly answer your questions in their hilarious interview". SugarScape. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "About Zukie". http://www.zukieclothing.com/. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "About Us". http://www.saintkidd.com. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Jamieson, Natalie (15 March 2012). "McFly's Tom Fletcher and Dougie Poynter pen kid's book". BBC. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "I'm a Celebrity 2011 contestants: retro stars meet the TOWIE generation". The Guardian. 9 November 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- 'I'm a Celeb' runner-up Mark Wright: 'It was an honour to be myself' Daniel Sperling, Digital Spy, 3 December 2011
- 9.7m see Dougie Poynter crowned King of the Jungle on 'I'm a Celeb' Liam O'Brien, Digital Spy, 4 December 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to McFly.|
|I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!