Dougie on stage in Belfast.
|Birth name||Dougie Lee Poynter|
30 November 1987 |
Corringham, Essex, England
|Genres||Pop rock, Pop punk|
|Occupations||Musician, singer-songwriter, actor|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, vocals, guitar|
|Associated acts||McFly, McBusted|
Dougie Lee Poynter (born 30 November 1987 in Corringham, Essex, England) is an English musician and the bassist, songwriter and vocalist for the pop rock band McFly. He won the 11th series of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!
Dougie is bassist of pop band McFly, also providing backing, and on occasion, lead vocals. He has co-writer credits on many of McFly's tracks, including the lead writer credit on their 2007 number one single "Transylvania". Poynter has called "Transylvania" his favourite song that he has written. Poynter also wrote an unrecorded track called Silence Is A Scary Sound, which features as a live recording on their third studio album Motion in the Ocean. The youngest member of the band, Poynter was also the last to enter it when Danny Jones and Tom Fletcher, who already had been signed to a record deal with Island, held auditions for a bassist and drummer. Poynter was 15 when he joined the band.
Poynter dated Frankie Sandford of The Saturdays, until the pair briefly split up in March 2010. They reunited in April 2010, but split up again in November of the same year. Poynter has stated that they will not be getting back together for the third time. He spent some time in rehab due to depression and alcohol and substance abuse.
Before joining McFly at the age of 15, Poynter was in a band named 'Ataiz'. In 2010, Dougie and three other people, including Motion in the Ocean and Radio:ACTIVE producer Jason Perry, started a clothing line called 'Zukie', named after Poynter's pet lizard. Dougie owns 30 per cent of the business. In early 2011, it was confirmed that Poynter had started his own clothing range, by the name of 'Saint Kidd', a pirate-based company inspired by William Kidd. Dougie and bandmate Tom Fletcher have published two books, the first "The Dinosaur That Pooped Christmas", about a boy who gets a pet dinosaur for Christmas was released in October 2012. The sequel, "The Dinosaur That Pooped A Planet" was released 29 August 2013.
In February 2014 he and his family appeared on All Star Family Fortunes, coming second to Sinitta and her family.
- "GRO Birth Registration Index". Ancestry.co.uk. Retrieved 25 May 2007.
- "McFly answer your questions in their hilarious interview". SugarScape. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Frankie Sandford saves her pop career with Saturdays". Metro. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "5 minutes with a… sex god: Dougie McFly". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Wilson, Benji (30 January 2010). "The Saturdays: Pop music's new high-flyers". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "McFly's Dougie: I follow Frankie". Metro. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 24 September 2009.
- "The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford comes over all Lily Allen in suspender tights and leather hotpants for Christmas party". The Daily Mail. 13 December 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "McFly's Dougie confirms split". Digitalspy.
- "Frankie Sandford: Dougie and I are living together again". Now Magazine.
- "Frankie Sandford dumps Dougie Poynter for the second time in a year, before partying at Whisky Mist with a male model". Daily Mail. 23 November 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Poynter: 'Sandford death threats are out of control'". OK!. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "About Zukie". http://www.zukieclothing.com/. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "About Us". http://www.saintkidd.com. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Jamieson, Natalie (15 March 2012). "McFly's Tom Fletcher and Dougie Poynter pen kid's book". BBC. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "I'm a Celebrity 2011 contestants: retro stars meet the TOWIE generation". The Guardian. 9 November 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- 'I'm a Celeb' runner-up Mark Wright: 'It was an honour to be myself' Daniel Sperling, Digital Spy, 3 December 2011
- 9.7m see Dougie Poynter crowned King of the Jungle on 'I'm a Celeb' Liam O'Brien, Digital Spy, 4 December 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to McFly.|
|I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!