Edge of Sanity (film)
|Edge of Sanity|
|Directed by||Gérard Kikoïne|
|Produced by||Jacques Fiorentino
Harry Alan Towers
|Written by||J.P. Félix
|Based on||Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Jack the Ripper
|Release date(s)||January 1989|
Dr. Henry Jekyll ingests a mix of ether and cocaine and goes insane. As the monstrous Edward "Jack the Ripper" Hyde, he murders a prostitute who resembles one that he previously met as a child. He begins a murder spree, using the mixture, originally meant to be an anesthetic, to influence prostitutes and the johns to torture and kill each other.
- Anthony Perkins as Dr. Henry Jekyll / Jack "The Ripper" Hyde
- Glynis Barber as Elisabeth Jekyll
- David Lodge as Underwood
- Sarah Maur Thorp as Susannah
- Ben Cole as Johnny
- Jill Melford as Flora
- Briony McRoberts as Ann Underwood
Alain Silver compared the style of the film to those directed by Ken Russell, based on the way that the films incorporate the supernatural, psychology, and sexual imagery. He also said that the prostitutes "further unsettle the preconceptions of the audience".
The book Marked Women: Prostitutes and Prostitution in the Cinema uses the film as an example of sexual brutality against women in films.
TV Guide reviewed the film, giving it 1 out of 4 stars and saying, "EDGE OF SANITY obviously isn't meant to be taken seriously, despite its expensive production values and surrealistic photography—both surprisingly good. But the rest of EDGE OF SANITY (shot mostly in Budapest with some English exteriors) doesn't measure up to its technical proficiency." Leonard Maltin described the film as "Tasteless, pointless, and unpleasant".
- Canby, Vincent (April 14, 1989). "Edge of Sanity (1989) Review/Film; Anthony Perkins Plays a Modern Jekyll and Hyde". The New York Times. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Silver, Alain (1994). More Things Than Are Dreamt of. Hal Leonard Corporation. pp. 83–84. ISBN 9781617802232. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Campbell, Russell (2006). Marked Women: Prostitutes and Prostitution in the Cinema. University of Wisconsin Press. p. 374. ISBN 9780299212537. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Edge Of Sanity: Review". TV Guide. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Maltin, Leonard (2009). Leonard Maltin's 2010 Movie Guide. Penguin. ISBN 9781101108765. Retrieved July 24, 2013.