Geography of Liberia
Liberia is a large Sub-Saharan nation in West Africa located at 6 °N, 9 °W. It borders the north Atlantic Ocean to the southwest (360 miles (580 km) of coastline) and three other African nations on the other three sides.
In total, Liberia comprises 43,000 square miles (110,000 km2) of which 37,190 square miles (96,300 km2) is land and 5,810 square miles (15,000 km2) is water.
Borders and maritime claims
The total length of Liberia's land borders is 986 miles (1,587 km): 190 miles (310 km) with Sierra Leone on the northwest, 350 miles (560 km) with Guinea to the north, and 445 miles (716 km) with Côte d'Ivoire. Liberia currently claims a territorial sea of 200 nmi (230.2 mi; 370.4 km).
Liberia has a mostly hilly terrain, from rolling plains along the coast to a rolling plateau and low mountains in the northeast.
The lowest point on Liberia is at sea level on the Atlantic Ocean. The highest point on Liberia is 1380m above sea level at Mount Wuteve.
Land use and agriculture
arable land: 4.04%
permanent crops: 1.62%
other: 94.34% (2011)
21 square kilometres of Liberia's land was irrigated as of 2003.
Environmental issues in Liberia include the fact that the tropical rainforest is subject to deforestation, soil erosion, loss of biodiversity and the pollution of coastal waters from industrial runoff and raw sewage.
Environment - international agreements
party to: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Endangered Species, Hazardous Wastes, Law of the Sea, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution, Tropical Timber 83, Tropical Timber 94, Wetlands
signed, but not ratified: Environmental Modification, Marine Life Conservation
This is a list of the extreme points of Liberia, the points that are farther north, south, east or west than any other location.
- Northernmost point – unnamed location on the border with Guinea in the Sodia river immediately north of the town of Vonamai, Lofa County
- Easternmost point – unnamed headland at the confluence of the Cavally river and the Hana river, River Gee County
- Southernmost point – Kablaké headland, Maryland Country
- Westernmost point - unnamed headland immediately west of the town of Sewulu at the mouth of the Mano River, Grand Cape Mount County
- Administrative divisions of Liberia
- List of cities in Liberia
- List of rivers of Liberia
- List of Liberian national forests