Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (TV special)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer|
|Genre||Christmas special, fantasy, comedy-drama|
|Directed by||Phil Roman|
|Voices of||Elmo Shropshire
Maggie Blue O'Hara
|Narrated by||Elmo Shropshire|
|Country of origin||USA|
|Executive producer(s)||Phil Roman|
|Running time||51 minutes|
|Production company(s)||The Fred Rappoport Company, Inc.
Phil Roman Entertainment
|Distributor||Warner Home Video|
|Original channel||The WB (2000-2006)
The CW (2006-present)
Cartoon Network (2000-present)
|Original airing||October 31, 2000|
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is a 2000 animated direct-to-video Christmas special, directed by Phil Roman. It airs every year on Cartoon Network and recently on The CW network during the Christmas season. Since Warner Home Video distributed this special, The CW has the broadcast rights to this special and Time Warner owns the copyrights. The title and plot are based on the novelty song of the same name.
The show begins by introducing Jake Spankenheimer, the main character, along with his family, most notably Grandma Spankenheimer, who owns a small general store in the town of Cityville. The store also happens to be the only piece of property not owned by Austin Bucks, the town's richest man, whose company specializes in making Christmas easier and less involved for the town's overly busy residents. Grandma, however, tells Austin Bucks that his method of trying to make Christmas easier is not really for the best and refuses to sell. This runs afoul of Cousin Mel, the family's gold-digging relative, who plans to sell the store anyway.
Jake loves the holiday season, as does his grandmother, though most of his family is not as excited about it. Jake and his older sister, Daphne, also quarrel over Santa Claus' existence, as Jake's parents try to (gently) break the news to him that Santa is not really real. Meanwhile, Cousin Mel comes up with a plan to sabotage Grandma's famous fruit cake recipe, secretly adding a disgusting ingredient with hopes that they won't sell, forcing Grandma to sell the store to Austin Bucks. Grandma, who hadn't taken her medication that evening, then takes the fruit cakes and her other baked goods with her when she leaves the house on Christmas Eve night, but as she leaves Santa flies by overhead and his reindeer, suddenly out of control, crash into her. Jake sees out the window, but the family refuses to believe him. The next morning, however, Grandma is missing, and the police find an imprint of her in the snow, along with her belongings; Cousin Mel also finds a letter explaining what happened that she quickly hides from the others. However, no one can tell where Grandma is herself.
Almost a year passes without Grandma, and during this time, Cousin Mel comes up with a new plan to sell the store to Austin Bucks, by tricking Grandpa Spankenheimer (who is somewhat senile, or just goofy) into giving her his power of attorney. She then plans to sell the store to Austin Bucks, but when Jake objects, Bucks agrees to give him another week in order to find Grandma before going through with the deal. Adamant in his belief that Santa ran over her, Jake e-mails Santa, and soon Quincy, Santa's "head elf," comes to take Jake to the North Pole. It turns out that Santa had run over Grandma, but had then taken her back to his home for medical treatment. Unfortunately she now had amnesia, and until receiving Jake's e-mail Santa had been unsure of who she was. However, when Jake explains the situation back in Cityville, Santa, Quincy and the amnesiac Grandma agree to go with him to stop the deal.
When they arrive in Cityville, however, Cousin Mel and her attorney, I.M. Slime, quickly come up with a plan to kidnap Grandma, and after Santa explains to Austin Bucks what happened, Jake and Quincy discover that Grandma has gone missing again. Cousin Mel and I.M. Slime then accuse Santa of being behind her disappearance, and he is put on trial for kidnapping, leaving the scene of an accident and "sleighicular negligence." The two then plot to sue him, deducing that someone who can pay for billions of presents must be incredibly wealthy.
Jake becomes suspicious that Cousin Mel may have been involved in Grandma's second disappearance, and follow her to a cabin in the woods where she and I.M. Slime have been keeping Grandma. They rescue Grandma, and also find the piece of paper Cousin Mel had found at the site of Grandma's accident---a note from Santa explaining what had happened---and a vial of the ingredient Cousin Mel had added to Grandma's fruit cakes, which turned out to be "reindeer-nip". They then manage to restore Grandma's memory by feeding her some of her own famous fruit cake, and rush to the courthouse to prove that Cousin Mel had been behind everything that happened to Grandma. Confronted with the evidence, Cousin Mel is forced to confess, and she is placed under arrest. Austin Bucks then approaches Grandma again, this time offering to franchise her store throughout the country, having seen how much she and Jake care about their family and family business. Touched by this, Grandma agrees to the franchising.
The show ends with Grandma accidentally picking up the tainted fruit cake instead of her own recipe, with the result that Santa hits her again as he's trying to fly back to the North Pole. Grandpa and Jake pick her up; this time Grandma didn't suffer amnesia. Santa's sleigh takes off into the night with him saying the Spanish phrase for "Merry Christmas".
- Grandma Spankenheimer (Voiced by Susan Blu) - Jake's loving grandmother who loves Christmas. Grand ma is the owner of a general store in Cityville. Merchandise at the store includes ornaments, toys, and Grandma's infamous "Killer Fruitcake".
- Jake Spankenheimer (Voiced by Alex Doduk) - The main protagonist, he is Grandma's grandson. Jake leads the search for Grandma when she mysteriously vanishes, and Grandma being hit by Santa's sleigh. A firm believer in Santa Claus, Jake proves his family wrong when he finds the real Santa Claus.
- Cousin Mel (Voiced by Michelle Lee) - The primary antagonist of the film. Cousin Mel is a money grubbing do-badder who wears too much jewlery and beats Grandpa at cards. Cousin Mel is out to sell the store to the wealthy Austin Bucks, and makes Santa Claus the fall guy in a lawsuit over Grandma's dissapearance so she can get all his money.
- Grandpa Spankenheimer (Voiced by (Elmo Shropshire)- Grandma's daffy husband. Grandpa accidentally gives Cousin Mel power of attourney, giving Cousin Mel the power to sell Spankenheimer's General Store to Austin Bucks.
- Austin Bucks (Voiced by Cam Clarke)- Wealthy businessman who owns much of Cityville. Bucks want to purchase Grandma's general store, saying that it would be the perfect location for the Sleighmobile, a contraption that would deliver the gifts on Chirstmas Eve.
- Santa Claus (Voiced by (Jim Staahl)- A fat old man who delivers gifts around the world on Christmas Eve. Santa accidentally runs over Grandma with his reindeer-drawn sleigh, and takes her to his hospital at his North Pole workshop.
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer from the Internet Movie Database
- SFM Entertainment page on the special-includes video clip