Krypto the Superdog
|Krypto the Superdog|
|Format||Animated television series|
|Created by||Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster (characters)|
|Developed by||Alan Burnett
|Directed by||Scott Jeralds|
|Voices of||Samuel Vincent
Tabitha St. Germain
|Composer(s)||William Kevin Anderson/ Patrick Griffin|
|Country of origin||United States
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||39 episodes (2 segments for each episode) (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Sander Schuartz|
Linda M. Steiner
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Warner Bros. Animation
|Original channel||Cartoon Network
CBBC Channel (UK)
|Original run||March 25, 2005– December 15, 2006|
Krypto the Superdog is a Canadian/American animated television series produced by Warner Bros. Animation, based on the DC Comics character Krypto. The show premiered on Cartoon Network on March 25, 2005, and aired on Kids' WB! in September 2006. It would usually air after the Tickle U block.
A comic book series (based on the TV show) was published by DC Comics under the Johnny DC imprint, which lasted 6 issues, from 2005 to 2006. The show was designed primarily for young children. However, as a result of being aired (and canceled) in the early 2000s, it has made an imprint on the older child demographic as of 2012.
The show was produced in a manner reminiscent of the Hanna-Barbera shows of the 1960s to the 1980s, from the sound effects down to the animation style (veteran Hanna-Barbera designer Iwao Takamoto also designed many of the characters.)
As the planet Krypton is about to be destroyed, Superman's father Jor-El makes a ship and puts a white puppy named Krypto into it for a test flight to see if it is safe enough for interstellar travel. While aboard the ship, Krypto accidentally destroys several wires and causes the ship to put him into a deep sleep while it heads on to Earth.
Upon landing on Earth, Krypto is a fully grown dog, possessed of superpowers similar to those of Superman's (since all Kryptonian life-forms gain superpowers from exposure to a yellow sun, such as Earth's sun). Later, Krypto is adopted by Kevin Whitney, a 9-year-old boy, with whom Superman arranges for him to stay (as Superman himself is often too busy saving the world to take care of him). Krypto poses as an ordinary dog while living with Kevin's family, but adopts the secret identity of "Superdog" for his superheroic deeds; Kevin is aware of Krypto's dual identity, but the rest of Kevin's family is not. (Excluding Kevin's spoiled cousin Bailey, however accidental.)
In the series, the various animals, including Krypto, all are capable of speaking to each other, but not to humans, except for Kevin (who is able to communicate with Krypto and the other animals thanks to a universal translator Kevin wears, known as an intergalactic communicator) and, of course, the viewers.
Main Characters 
- Krypto the Superdog (voiced by Samuel Vincent): A white labrador retriever who is the main protagonist of the show, formerly Superman's pet on Krypton before it was destroyed. He has all of the powers of Superman, though some are heightened due to being a dog, such as his super hearing and sense of smell. Krypto also shares Superman's moral values and feelings, which has been used as a weakness against him in some cases.
- Streaky the Supercat (voiced by Brian Drummond): An orange cat with a yellow streak along his back who lives next door to Krypto and Kevin's family. In episode 6, "The Streaky Story", Streaky gained superpowers by a duplicating ray that was aimed at Krypto, but reflected off him and accidentally hit Streaky instead. Streaky later found that he had superpowers similar to Krypto's; because his powers came from Krypto, Streaky shares his canine counterpart's weakness to Kryptonite. Streaky belongs to a girl named Andrea. Unlike Krypto, Streaky is less serious about his superhero activities, and sometimes needs prodding to perform heroic deeds, but usually is dependable. He also has a nephew named Squeaky who is the leader of the Supercat Fan Club. His voice sounds similar to Itchy Itchiford's from All Dogs Go To Heaven.
- Mechanikat (voiced by Mark Oliver): The main antagonist of the series, he could be inspired by Brainiac or Metallo. Mechanikat is a cyborg feline, who constantly plots to conquer Earth. He usually keeps a bit of kryptonite on hand to use against Krypto, or to power up his machines with so they can affect Krypto. He is also a member of the Villains Club. Despite being the main antagonist, he rarely takes matters into his own paws and fight Krypto on his own, normally using machines or other villains to face him, but has (on one occasion) upgraded himself into 'Mega Mechanikat' and lured him to a Kryptonite-covered planet so he could take care of Krypto on his own, this was his ultimate defeat as was his final appearance of the series.
- Kevin Whitney (voiced by Alberto Ghisi): Kevin is the young boy who Krypto lives with in the series, with Superman's permission. Kevin enjoys Krypto's company greatly, and is able to communicate with him and the other animals in the series thanks to a universal translator device. Kevin has a bratty cousin named Bailey who finds out Krypto's secret, but fortunately he's such a notorious liar that no adult believes him. Kevin also has a two-year-old sister named Melanie who refers to Krypto as "Kippo".
- Andrea (voiced by Tabitha St. Germain): Streaky's owner. She's Kevin's next door neighbor and a really close friend of his. She likes to dress Streaky in pretty clothes and bathe him. She loves Streaky very much. Towards the end of the series, she found out about Krypto and Streaky's secret identities.
- Ace the Bathound (voiced by Scott McNeil): Batman's pet dog (though Ace says he is Batman's partner), a Great Dane. This is different from the Ace of 50s and 60s comic books, in which he was a German shepherd, but it is consistent with the Batman Beyond television program, in which Ace is the Great Dane of a much older Bruce Wayne. Ace fights crime utilizing various detective skills and gadgetry built into his collar (an analogue of Batman's utility belt); he also uses a rocket sled for traveling long distances. Ace wears a dark colored cape and cowl similar to Batman's, and (like Batman) possesses a stoic personality. However, Ace does occasionally work alongside Krypto and considers him an ally. Ace's nemeses are Catwoman's pet cat, Isis, the Joker's two pet hyenas Bud and Lou, and Penguin's three pet trained birds.
|Season||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||26||March 25, 2005||December 5, 2005|
|2||13||April 24, 2006||December 15, 2006 (series finale)|
- Samuel Vincent as Krypto
- Alberto Ghisi as Kevin
- Tabitha St. Germain as Andrea/Melanie
- Scott McNeil as Ace the Bathound/Ignatius
- Brian Drummond as Streaky/Kevin's Dad
- Nicole Oliver as Kevin's Mom
- Ellen Kennedy as Brainy Barker
- Michael Dobson as Bulldog
- Dale Wilson as Paw Pooch
- Peter Kelamis as Tail Terrier
- Trevor Devall as Hot Dog
- Kelly Sheridan as Mammoth Mutt
- Nicole Bouma as Snooky Wookums
- Mark Oliver as Mechanikat
- Terry Klassen as Tusky Husky
- Rob Paulsen as Robbie the Robin
Additional voices 
Michael Daingerfield as Superman
Lee Tockar as Stretch-o-Mutt
- United States
- Star Channel
- Planet Çocuk
- Other countries
- Playhouse TV
- Nick Jr.
- United Kingdom
Cancellation and reruns 
On December 15, 2006, the series was canceled. Reruns were shown on Kids' WB as part of the then-new CW network's E/I requirement, but stopped airing due to Kids' WB! opting to use Cookie Jar Entertainment shows Will & Dewitt and Magi-Nation. Krypto is also airing on the cable television channel Boomerang. The two-part holiday special, "Iguanukkah", aired on Cartoon Network, December 21, 2008 (as well as Christmas Eve and Christmas Day), as part of the all day holiday specials marathon. It now airs on Boomerang, showing old episodes of the series.
- "FOR YOUNG VIEWERS; Even Superman Had A Man's Best Friend". The New York Times. April 3, 2005. Retrieved 2010-10-16.