|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Gurvinder Singh is an Indian film director. He is best known for his directorial work of the Punjabi language film Anhe Ghore Da Daan . The film was his first feature film. He is an alumnus of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune from where he studied film-making and graduated in 2001.
Graduating from FTII, Singh made few short films and also directed music videos for singers Rabbi Shergill and Jasbir Jassi for their respective renditions of Punjabi folk song "Jugni". His first short film Pala was a documentary based on one of the Punjabi folk singer and was sponsored by India Foundation for the Arts (IFA). The 2011 film Anhe Ghore Da Daan (English: Alms for a Blind Horse) won him National Film Award for Best Direction at the 59th National Film Awards presented on 3 May 2012. The award consisted of 'Golden Lotus Award (Swarna Kamal)', a certificate and cash prize of 250000 (US$4,200)/-. The jury presented the awards for,
...its haunting portrayal of the lives of people in a village as they battle with the reality of large scale industrial development. The director deploys an inventive storytelling form where sound, space and body operate distinctly to frame the experience of a fragile existence. Each face portrayed in the film carries the signs of persistent trauma. This is an aesthetic tour de force that confidently and successfully reinvents the contours of Indian experimental cinema.
Documentary of a Punjabi-folk balladeer
Clip on passage of time focusing on ambient sounds
|2004||A Winter Tale||Clip
An account of 6 days spent by Singh at his maternal grandmother's place in Delhi
|2007||Legs Above my Feet||Short film
Conversations with a Kathak dancer, Sushmita Ghosh
|2008||An Untitled Film||Short film
Interviews of FTII graduates
|2011||Anhe Ghore Da Daan||First feature film|
|2012||The Fourth Direction|
- 2011 - Best Direction for Anhe Ghore Da Daan
- 2011 - Best Feature Film in Punjabi for Anhe Ghore Da Daan; shared with NFDC (producer)
- 2012 - Paris Project Award at the 10th Hong Kong – Asia Film Financing Forum for The Fourth Direction. Shared with Flowing Stories directed by Tsang Tsui-shan.
- "Gurvinder Singh". Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "I wasn't expecting national award: Gurvinder Singh". Hindustan Times (New Delhi). IANS. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "59th National Film Awards for the Year 2011 Announced". Press Information Bureau (PIB), India. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "59th National Awards: Winners". New Delhi. NDTV. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "National Awards: Gurvinder Singh wins Best Director for 'Anhe Ghorey Da Daan'". IBN Live (New Delhi). 7 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "59th National Film Awards for 2011 - Feature Films" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Gurvinder Singh’s film wins Hong Kong Fest award". Indian television.com. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.